Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: US cost is so much

FDA approval costs, facility charges, high cost of medications but most of all high costs of malpractice insurance. The docs really arent left with much after everything they pay out-not to mention the hospitals charging high rates in order to make up for the deadbeats who dont pay their bill and the medicaid patient reinburement which is very low. Of course, this is only my opinion.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

If there is a difference in cost of wages, this would figure into the difference. However, I would make the observation that probably the amount of care and follow up provided may well be different. I've just self-paid to have surgery here in the UK - I had four hospital nights' stay, and I get a follow up package for 1 year of four or five consultations as standard with my surgeon and any additional needed if problems arise, as well as monthly dietitian appointments. I know many people here have had very successful experience in Mexico, but on the occasions it doesn't go well I have heard it's difficult to get satisfactory response. So some of the difference in cost is about paying for a more intensive level of treatment and aftercare. For me, it was worth the peace of mind because I could similarly have gone for a cheaper Health Tourism option in Eastern Europe.

Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    10/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Daniel Smith
    Last Activity
    12-13-2015 10:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

It's sad this great country of ours has boiled down to the all mighty dollar. Corporate greed has consumed us, it is sad you have to travel to get affordable health care, but I don't see any change in the near future.

Gastric Sleeve Member Trustin Sleever's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

This could turn into a long and heated debate about healthcare costs and who is to blame.
    :::runs out of post, screaming:::
    Day of surgery: 248 lbs

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.George Furzli
    Last Activity
    11-16-2015 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

I am assuming that the sleevers who have gone to Mexico did not have insurance. I have medical insurance which covered my procedure. Ten years ago I was going for the lap band and had gotten all the way to the pre-op stage and was told my health was too good and they would not cover the hospital ($28,000) ..so here I was ten years later getting the sleeve through my insurance. Health was still great other than being high BMI ... But I have to tell you all the pre-op blood work, 6 month visits for general doctors monitoring diet, cardio clearance, gastro clearance, mental clearance, pulminary clearance, support groups (manditory) dietician visits ..all of these were manditory prior to even signing for my surgery. I haven't even gotten all of the insurance bills back yet to see what the costs were.. but I can tell you between prior and during/hospital 3 nights I can imagine the cost has been over $125,000..... I am a chicken, I like my specialty doctors, peice of mind that I was going under in the best possible care, and condition/health.. I don't think I could have ever gone to Mexico, I would never have been that daring.. I get sick everytime I vacation there.. I give the sleevers who go there all the credit in the world...they are determined... and much braver than myself. I have read only positive feedback. AND YES.. IT IS A DAMN SHAME THAT WE LIVE IN THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD...AND PEOPLE STILL HAVE TO GO OUT OF THE COUNTRY TO GET THE PROCEDURE DONE !!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-21-2013 11:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I went to Mexico but have health insurance. Wife is a Dr. and we didn't want to go through the bullshit that I would have been put through - besides the cost of my co-pay which probably would have been more than I paid in Mexico. I used to manage a medical practice - bottom line: Capitalism run amuck!

Surgery date
    09/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Chock
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 07:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 62 Times
    Blog Entries

I totally agree with you that its a shame that we cant get affordable health care here.... but it will be a long while before things change ....
    My insurance also didnt cover WLS . I put off surgery for a year to save up some money and then financed the rest. Best thing I could of ever done. I dont mind making my payments !! Even though my surgury cost 3x as much as going outside of the US I am totally happy with my decision.
    Where ever you do decide to go make sure that they are a great surgeon, low complication rate, do your research on them , ask others on here for referrels, ask others on here about complications bad expeiences ect, does the place have supplimental coverage for self pays in case of post op problems , what are their policies on problems, is pre op / post op care included, if you go out side of the US is there a local WL place that will see you in case problems arise & for your follow up care...... these are some of the questions that I asked my self and led me to my surgeon. There are a lot of things to consider this is a major surgery and things can go wrong any where you have surgery be it in the US , Mexico, Canada or Overseas, not to any fault of the doctor.... choose wisely and best of luck on your decision. dont give up things have a way of working out

Name
    Francesca
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Simon Dexter
    Last Activity
    09-20-2013 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,721 Times
    Blog Entries

I think that it's a shame that the self pay costs are high in the US, they are not cheap in the UK either, and yes it comes done to money & after care package. I admire anyone who goes out of their home country for surgery. Never the less be it distance or cold hard cash we are all determined & make the choices based on our personalities & circumstances.

Whatever the cost , be that money or distance , we do it & we should be very proud of ourself for travelling this road.

Twitter - @GoldieLookinF

Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 193 Times
    Blog Entries

I have insurance, yet to go through the process would have taken a looong time, paying out of pocket, I was able to get my surgery date 2 weeks after I made up my mind to do it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Trustin Sleever's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SECRETSLEEVE View Post
    I have insurance, yet to go through the process would have taken a looong time, paying out of pocket, I was able to get my surgery date 2 weeks after I made up my mind to do it.
    THIS is the biggest advantage in south-of-the-border VSG. No hoops to jump through. The amount of TIME saved is often worth the (very small) increase in out-of-pocket cost. For me it will probably be around $4000 out of pocket, WITH insurance.

My biggest issue is that the relationship between the insurance company and the insured is ALWAYS adversarial.
    I had to endure a YEAR of extremely aggravating back-and-forth with the insurance company. Representatives gave me conflicting information, or none at all. There was never a time when I felt compassion for the fact that I had a very serious health problem, nor any acknowledgement that I was a paying customer who'd already given them thousands and thousands of dollars to cover things like this.
    Day of surgery: 248 lbs

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

In the US we are so overburdened by the costs of regulating and malpractice, etc. Had I had my sleeve done here in the same Center of Excellence (all that preop stuff, psych, nutrition, etc included) it would have cost me about 23k. The bill from all the above to the ins company came to about $95k, but the ins companies do not pay that. They work out a flat rate for each surgery and care with the hospital and it's about the same as I'd have paid, so some of it is just paper inflation.
    I have to wonder though, if we are comparing apples and oranges. No offense to the good doctors doing the surgeries at all but the facilities, pre op care and psych/nutrition/pt help, post op care (specifically things like anti-embolism boots, blood thinners, blood tests, etc, etc and continuing support (I see my surgeon at 2,4 weeks then at 3,6,12 months and then every 6 mo or a year for 4 more years, 5 yrs total all included. That's a lot of support and emotional help as well.
    So while I'm not knocking MX...after being here nearly 18 mo I couldn't, too many successes! I am saying, when you compare costs....compare like to like... Honestly at 53 yrs old, 200 lbs overweight, having had 8 other surgeries on my torso starting at age 9... I would not have gone to MX. But for lots of folks it's a good option and from what we see here anyway I'd say the complication rates about match up for like patients.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dorian DeBose
    Last Activity
    02-23-2014 06:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I'm just looking for an insurance company that will cover the surgery. I meet 3 out of for of the criteria. Out of pocket in the US is just crazy, and I don't know about going out of the country.

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

you don't know about going out of the country, look around in this forum, 90% went to Mexico

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Allison
    Last Activity
    07-23-2014 06:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

i had my surgery in the USA, i feel i got the best care i could possibly get before and after the surgery as well. so when you leave mexico who takes care of you? how do you do follow up?