Name
    Elaine
    Last Activity
    11-10-2013 02:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Smile Surgeon, Gap and time

Hi everyone, I am needing some info on a sleeve. I am in Caboolture area QLD, and am with Medibank Private on their highest cover. I will have to wait to july 2013 for my op, and was wondering how much preparation time i need from when i first see a surgeon to when the op is done. Also I am looking for a good surgeon who will remove my 26 year old band and do the op. Also, what sort of gap will I be looking at. I am on a carer pension, so money is limited, but I have bad arthritis in both my hips and my spine, so am really needing this done to help me get my weight down. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Eels

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tracy
    Surgery date
    02/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Costa Karihaloo
    Last Activity
    10-30-2013 09:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Default Re: Surgeon, Gap and time

Hi, I am on a disability support payment as well and my surgery is on 4th feb. I have had to save like crazy as I will be about $5000 out of pocket. I have top cover with HCF but neither they nor Medicare can give me an amount I can claim back. They say each surgery is different, but it is a pain trying to figure how much I will need. The costs I have been given are $4950 for surgeon, $500 for assisting surgeon, $2500 for anaesthetist plus my fund excess of $450. I suggest you start saving now, it is a struggle. Good luck.

Name
    RaniL
    Surgery date
    04/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Vytaurus Kuzinkovas
    Last Activity
    11-16-2014 05:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

My surgeon recommended Dr George Hopkins Chermside as the best in Australia for Band to Sleeve Procedures. He suggested other surgeons are great at the sleeve but Dr Hopkins is the most experienced after a band. You will need at least 3 months and maybe longer between removal of the band and sleeving. Some surgeons will do it all at once but my surgeon has suggested that this is risky practice as you are more likely to sustain a leak. I would get a referral and see the doc ASAP to work out what your plan is.

If your obesity is causing life threatening problems (diabetes, sleep apnoea) then you can apply to access your superannuation early to cover the gap. It seems the gap is around 5k roughly in Australia.

Gastric Sleeve Member happyrock4680's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/09/2014
    Surgeon
    dr Victor liew
    Last Activity
    07-31-2014 07:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Dr victor liew on gold coast, is removing my band and doing a sleeve, well worth going to coast to see him, im coming down from gladstone & if you have phi it wont cost any out of pocket, he doesnt overcharge