Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,309 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it rude to ask where you had your sleeve op done and how much you paid for the treatment?

Total $5,500...including surgery, driver tips, shopping, airfare and one nite in a San Diego hotel.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Twyla
    Surgery date
    08/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,153 Times

Default Re: Is it rude to ask where you had your sleeve op done and how much you paid for the treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNM View Post
    Had mine done w/ Almanza in Mexico. Cost was $4500 plus airfare, meals and hotel in San Diego and TJ. I would guess the whole thing was about $6500 including shopping, etc.
    Me too. I brought my hubby with me and it was still under $6000.00. My daughter is having surgery next Friday there!

SMILE!! It makes people wonder what you're up to!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Dee
    Surgery date
    11/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Lopez
    Last Activity
    05-15-2013 07:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I don't think so. At least not in the forum.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Chris Wong @ Spire
    Last Activity
    07-26-2015 11:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello, I had my surgery at the Spire in Cardiff and the cost was £8500 and worth every penny. Some cosmetic surgery companies are cheaper but I'm a great believer in you get what you pay for. Also my partner had also had the surgery there 8 months prior to me so I had first hand knowledge of the care he received.
    Will be 5 weeks tomorrow since my surgery and I've lost just shy of 2 stone. Good luck with your research and if you decide to go ahead with the surgery all the best.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-30-2015 01:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi Ian! I'm hoping to go to Dr Ameet Patel in London. He charges £7500 for the sleeve. For an extra £1000 he will use only one incision- he's pioneered this technique. Google him, and you'll be redirected to his weightloss site. His nurse is called Beth -she responds very quickly to emails. Dr Ammori has started to do the gastric wrap procedure in the UK. Think he charges around £5K for that... Ultimately, I think I might as well pay the £150 consultation fee and discuss it with one of them face to face. Sadly I have to travel from N.Ireland, about takes a bit of organisation. Hope this helps! Tandy

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sashie1977's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr De Beaux
    Last Activity
    04-04-2013 02:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times

Hi there, I had my sleeve in September at Spire in Edinburgh. I paid £11000 which included removing my failed gastric band (also fitted privately at another hospital). If I want a tummy tuck and lipo, I get it at a discounted price from them too.

Gastric Sleeve Member vickybeads's Avatar
    Name
    Victoria
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Stewart, Denton TX
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times

I'm having surgery in Denton TX on Monday the 19th - $10,950 all-inclusive package (all doc visits, nutrition counseling, surgery, anesthesiologist, 1 night hospital). Of that, $5,000 goes to hospital (North Hills Hospital, Denton TX), $750 to Anesthesiologist, and $5,200 to surgeon (Dr. Daryl Stewart). My husband had R-N-Y 3 years ago and has never been happier. We were both pleased with Dr Stewart then, and now.

Victoria

"Do not take the advice of those old sages and wait until you can "walk confidently in the direction of your dreams". If you do, you'll never take the first step. Instead, leap and learn to fly on the way down, (And for heaven's sake, don't wait until you lose ten pounds!). Now is the time to jump in with both feet...arms flailing, hair flying, and screaming at the top of your lungs, "I CAN DO THIS!" You don't have to believe it...you just have to do it. So don't wait a minute longer. Start now!" Suzy Toronto
    <small>
    MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods</small>
    GOAL! Woo hoo! Now to maintain, or maybe add a few!
    Last Weigh-in: 1/13/15, 136.4
    Next Weigh-in: 1/19/15

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

This is a funny question to me b/c I have Brazilian neighbors, one who was very heavy, and, about the same time I got my sleeve, started getting smaller and smaller. I asked her one day if she got the surgery, telling her I had, and it turned out she'd gone to Brazil and had it all taken care of. Interesting, no? Because we're neighbors w/ a casual relationship (and the surgery is considered much more a normal everyday thing in that part of the world) I didn't feel I overstepped, esp. since I had first shared that I had the surgery myself, and I while I wouldn't blink at asking anyone here, I'd practice caution in the outside world. She said she paid nothing as it was part of her national health insurance. Interesting, no?

However, in the Western world/culture there is still a lot of bias against overweight/obese/what-have-you-bodysize with the dominant attitude that fat people should do things "the old fashioned way" and WLS is "cheating". Keep your own counsel but tread lightly there. You don't need a load of judgement on your head. Life is hard enough.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Gastric Sleeve Member vickybeads's Avatar
    Name
    Victoria
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Stewart, Denton TX
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Leshuz View Post
    .......However, in the Western world/culture there is still a lot of bias against overweight/obese/what-have-you-bodysize with the dominant attitude that fat people should do things "the old fashioned way" and WLS is "cheating". Keep your own counsel but tread lightly there. You don't need a load of judgement on your head. Life is hard enough.
    Now this seems funny to me. Normally when we see someone losing weight (at work, church, an aquaintance, etc) we ask them "what diet are you doing"? and usually leave it at that, unless it's the "latest fad" diet (HCG, etc). Oh well. I have no qualms about answering someone that asks that question. Same thing for my hubby. He's over 100 lbs lighter and has kept it off for 3 years post R-N-Y. When we run into people who remember the old him, they're shocked and ask if he was sick or what happened. And every time we find a picture pre-op, we're so happy he did the surgery. I'll have to find a couple of pics pre and post of him.

Just the rantings of a pre-op sleever today.......

Cheers!

Victoria

"Do not take the advice of those old sages and wait until you can "walk confidently in the direction of your dreams". If you do, you'll never take the first step. Instead, leap and learn to fly on the way down, (And for heaven's sake, don't wait until you lose ten pounds!). Now is the time to jump in with both feet...arms flailing, hair flying, and screaming at the top of your lungs, "I CAN DO THIS!" You don't have to believe it...you just have to do it. So don't wait a minute longer. Start now!" Suzy Toronto
    <small>
    MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods</small>
    GOAL! Woo hoo! Now to maintain, or maybe add a few!
    Last Weigh-in: 1/13/15, 136.4
    Next Weigh-in: 1/19/15

Name
    www.prettyfat.co.uk
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Cierny
    Last Activity
    11-12-2018 10:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

I had my sleeve done with a UK company who flew me out the Czech Republic. It cost £6,500. Can't fault the experience at all.

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Blog Entries

My surgery was 4000, that included the surgery, 2 nights in the hospital, 1 night at the Real Del Rio hotel in TJ....I paid 45 dollars for my take home medicine out of pocket, about 400 bucks for my ticket to fly from Tennessee, and then I tipped his staff and driver 20 bucks a piece just because I thought they were amazing. I am so happy that I had my surgery with him, he was the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
    Total $5,500...including surgery, driver tips, shopping, airfare and one nite in a San Diego hotel.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Martin Hruby
    Last Activity
    09-18-2016 05:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I am in the UK, but couldnt afford UK prices, so i found a great surgeon in the Czech Republic, called Martin Hruby, and had my sleeve there last August, via a company called new Leaf WLS. He charges 4620 euros for a sleeve (about £4000), and does other procedures too eg the plication is £1700. So far, with my sleeve, i have lost 80lb The surgeon likes sleeve clients to stay for a week, in hospital, which i found very reassuring.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Helen
    Surgery date
    03/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr. Sutton
    Last Activity
    06-18-2014 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Ian,
    I had my surgery done here in Leicester (uk) by Chris Sutton, back in march.
    It cost just short of £10k and I'm very pleased with the results!! I did contemplate abroad but like others, wanted to know that I had nearby post op care and advice. It was also reassuring to see a couple of familiar faces in the theatre when I went in (I work in that line myself) they were all so friendly - explained everything answering all my questions and even showed me all the instruments set up they were using (but I'm sure most patients rant as noses and would rather not know anyway it's one of my best life choices and in hopefully not to sound repetitive and boring -'wish I'd done it years ago'!!!
    Good luck with your choice - let us all know.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Helen
    Surgery date
    03/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr. Sutton
    Last Activity
    06-18-2014 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry should read 'aren't as nosey'!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-27-2013 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi Mangomaid,
    I have been reading about Marcus Reddy and he sounds very good.Please can you let me know how you got on? Was post op care good? Dr Reddy is convenient for me as I live to West of London..Thank youx