03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Randall Baker
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,758 Times
    Blog Entries

Exclamation ? Of the week

Pre & Post sleevers, do you feel you were or ever have been discriminated against because of your size???

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ? Of the week

Are you doing a survey? A scientific study? or are you just looking for folks who may have had the same experience you had for some support? Sorry but with no back story it's hard to tell what you need help with.

I don't think there are many of us who have NOT been discriminated against due to size and women more so than men (sorry guys, but it's true).
    There are now companies who don't hire over certain bmi's.
    I owned a restaurant when I was younger, in my 20s. In my 40s I needed extra money to raise my kids and went for a waitressing job. I weighed about 240 at the time. I was flat out told I was too large to be out front because I would make people not want to eat but I could go out back and cook.
    There is a perception that fat = lazy and stupid. Moreover, in different parts of the country there appears to be different tolerances for what is considered fat. I think here in the northeast as well as in the southeast it's a bit more acceptable to be overweight vs the standards in say California but I may be generalizing. Anyway, to answer the question, yes. I have.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Name
    Maia
    Surgery date
    03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Randall Baker
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,758 Times
    Blog Entries

No survey or particular area I need help in. Thank you though, I ask a different question every week just to see others experiences and also a good way to get to know others on the site

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't know any obese person (friends) that hasn't been discriminated against in some way.

Gastric Sleeve Member CuirousGeorge's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    09-23-2013 03:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Honestly I believe that my size was holding me back. I believe I was setting myself up to be discriminated against. My attitude was less than ideal and my self-esteem sort of ....well, "off" I am sure that these interior struggles were visible to the world as a whole. Not all large women have these issues, I speak only for myself! Do I believe that society as a whole discriminates against large/obese people. Hell yes. About 20 years ago, society started putting the pressure on smokers and the culture changed. Now society has started putting the pressure on the obese. The discrimination felt in the past is going to be magnified, in my opinion.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-21-2013 11:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Of couse we've all been discriminated against - it's a proven sociological fact that overweight people don't do as well in job interviews, the dating scene and life in general when dealing with non-overweight people. We've been programmed as a culture to believe that skinny is beautiful - just look at any photoshopped fashion magazine. Rarely is there an overweight person on a sitcom who isn't the butt of jokes, etc. Most normally sized people think that we're overweight because of our own fault - gluttony, etc. But - just look at all of the high carb, high fat, high cholesterol fast food places that permeate the street corners of America and the most available advertising media. Just look at all of the crap food that's sold in grocery stores (Hamburger Helper, Cheesy Mac, and on and on and on).