Name
    Elaine
    Last Activity
    09-15-2012 08:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Extreme deficiencies

I got devastated news today. After 4y 6m I must reverse my jejuno-ileal bypass (small bowel) due to Potassium and Magnesium deficiencies. This is an occurrence in my body for the past 4 years and my heart is suffering. I have tried everything under the sun and none of them is a long term solution.

Fortunately this is revere-sable. And I have my eye on the sleeve for some time now. I never want to be fat again and.... this is the best healthiest option at this stage. I still have 15kg to loose though but more important is to be healthy again!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 193 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Extreme deficiencies

I never heard of jejuno-ileal bypass, how is that different then the gastric bypass?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Al Taie
    Last Activity
    04-18-2014 07:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Hi

In 2003 I was desperate for any surgery to help me lose weight.My cousin,a friend and myself talked a lot about the JIB.After researching I decided it was a VERY bad idea and went for the band (another very bad idea but less dangerous) My cousin and my friend went for the JIB in 2005 (without telling me at first as they knew how I felt about the surgery after researchingg it for a long time.The friend has various manageable smaller medical issues but my cousin is a wreck of a person compared to what she was even at her highest weight.

I cannot begin to list all the seemingly unrelated issues (which I believe is a direct result of the surgery) she's had during the past 7 years.Really unbelievable.We are currently looking for a dr to take down the bypass but the last dr that did the surgery in SA (the guy that did their surgery)was permanently removed from the medical register after being found guilty of gross neglegence and malpracrice.There is still a whole lot of cases pending.She has had kidney failure,liver absess,pirexia of unknown origin at least once a month to the point of being admitted into hospital something like 20 times,brain surgery,a condition similar to protein S deficiency but with very severe anemia,pulmonary embolism, (so for one she needs blood transfusions and for the other she needs blood thinners) Her life is a living nightmare.Until this July when she had the brain surgery I have offered to pay for take down many times but she insisted that she would rather die than be fat again.She has changed her mind now.

The JIB have been banned as a surgery in most countries quite some time ago because of the side effects that a high percentage patients suffered.

They bypass the jujenum and ilium.Thats it.People have severe malabsorption and, like my cousin,some patients have permanent diaree,bacterial overgrowth.

Having it reversed when you have health issues because of it is better than the dr's not knowing what the surgery is or how to deal with it,like my cous is finding now in back in SA.

The sleeve is great but you cannot eat like you can with the JIB.It is a great surgery but you have to eat very sensible and controlled for the rest of your life.However,I do think that for you to have had a comfortable life with the JIB you must have changed your eating habits a lot so this might just give you portion control while eating protein first and veggies second.

Good luck and do let us know how you are doing.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Elaine
    Last Activity
    09-15-2012 08:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Yip, that same famous doctor did this bypass, back in SA.

I am really healthy besides the malnutrition and will do this again if I have to. This operation was the first weight-loss surgery back in the 50's but was later banned. We are 10 friends who went for this op at the same surgeon and it is only me having these side effects. I have spoken to the doctor yesterday and though he is banned from doing this op, he is still allowed to reverse it. Through all these years he assisted me in all the side effects and yesterday suggested to reverse.

I am still to decide if I should get a sleeve or just reverse?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Al Taie
    Last Activity
    04-18-2014 07:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Hi,

See,your reply is like an answer to prayer. going to pm you.

xxo

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Will they do the reverse and sleeve at the same time? I wouldn't think so. I'd think they'd want your body to get back to somewhat "normal" before making another change? With the sleeve your food intake will be limited for at least 6 months and then still less than you are used to for life. While this is very good for losing weight I just don't know about what your new nutritional needs will be to get your body back to healthy and if you will be able to meet them if you are sleeved, at least right away. If you will be able to be sleeved later, then I'd wait a bit myself. If for insurance purposes it had to be done all at once then I'd say speak to a nutritionist at your earliest convenience to see what kind of foods and supplements will help you balance your mag and pot needs with the new eating.
    Wishing you well with this difficult decision - sorry to hear you are not well but glad there is a doc to help you.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Name
    Cindy
    Surgery date
    07/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Yadegar
    Last Activity
    09-05-2013 09:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 467 Times
    Blog Entries

Maybe your body is telling you it's time for YOU to take charge and not surgeries, your health is already suffering, I would reverse the bypass personally and not do the sleeve, you have put your body through enough, being fat is better than being dead and personally I don't think you will get fat. The sleeve and bypass are amazing tools BUT they are tools, you can do this now you have gotten used to a new lifestyle, and that is LIFEstyle, be kind to your body and it will be kind back, don't let an obsession to be thin overwhelm wise choices. You are a smart intelligent empowered woman, prove it to yourself NO more risk to your body!!