Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-10-2014 01:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Freaking out!!!!

Okay...I have surgery in less than 48 hours, and I am so hungry even dog food looks good! Seriously...how does one overcome the love affair with food? It's been my closest friend for so long, that a BIG part of me is saying "don't get the sleeve...you'll never enjoy food again". I know in my head this is the right thing..but my heart (and STOMACH) is saying "DON'T DO IT!. I'm FREAKING OUT! Any calm, reassuring response would be ohhhh soo appreciated.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ninaricci46's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nina
    Surgery date
    09/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza, Mexico
    Last Activity
    08-05-2013 08:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Default Re: Freaking out!!!!

Hang in there... I do not know the answer, I guess we all have a love affair with food... that is why we are on this forum...
    I am a few days away from landing in the US to be sleeved and in my pre op phase.. and... want to eat the plants in the office at this stage....
    But.. we will get to the sleeved side of the world and laugh at our old posts about addiction to food and fear and everything else..
    You will probably be gone from the house when I arrive...
    Sending you heaps of GOOD Karma and be strong, get up and walk off the gas and what ever they tell you to do in the clinic...
    and
    you will one day enjoy food again.. for now, getting sleeved (healed from the addiction) and taking baby steps getting to the end of the rainbow

Surgery date
    08/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 05:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel the same way !!! I have my surgery on the 31st - is that when you are too? Hang in there... remember it will be worth it!!! I have been telling myself I have had all these years to enjoy food and abuse it, so now its about taking control of choices and training myself to think different about food in general... that within itself is a challenge at times. Good luck with your surgery and keep your eyes on the prize lol

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Wan
    Last Activity
    08-30-2012 07:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Hun, I had my op just a week ago and I understand totally what you are feeling but...this is a wonderful chance for you to turn your life around and get your life back. The pre op diet is very harsh and even the cat looks tasty after two weeks on it! We have made food our best friend where in actual fact it is our worst enemy. Personally my body didn’t know full up and I would finish one huge meal and sit thinking about what I could eat next. I would also do a lot of secret eating out of the view and possible criticism of others. I am soooooo pleased I have had this surgery, I am only able to eat small amounts of soups, yogurts and milk shakes at the moment but the weight is dropping off me (I have already lost 2 stone) and it is wonderful that my body is controlling the amount of food I am able to eat. Don’t hesitate to go ahead, it really is the very best thing you can do for yourself and your family. Good luck and I will look out for your progress updates.

Name
    Jessy
    Surgery date
    10/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ahmed Ibrahim
    Last Activity
    12-13-2016 02:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 130 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I promise you food won't be ur sole obsession anymore, clothes or shoes (high heels!) maybe ...........AND you WILL ENJOY ur fav foods, just in human sane portions that won't make you fat
    I eat EVERYTHING now, but i'm golden after a few mouthfuls & i don't miss my huge dinosaur sized servings anymore & i hate wasting money on open buffets Here are my portions now that i'm almost a year out
    pizza (thin= 1 slice or 1.5 slices / pan = 1 slice / deep dish 1 slice - i'll consume this over an hour!)
    burgers (1 kiddie sized burger - condiments & all (eg. like fudds' smallest size- with 4 or 5 fries, no soda & i'll probably finish this meal at home later in the day)
    cake (1 slice out of an 8 piece cake, but beware this is one item u wanna force yourself to STOP after one slice & eat SLOWLY cuz it goes down sooooooo easily & can make u fat over time - loaded with cream/butter/sugar)
    pasta( 1/2 a cup cooked)
    rice (1/2 a cup cooked)
    TIP: Using rice noodles is soooo much better since it swells up to give more volume & lower calories than regular pasta) and if u add whatever sauce u want, it tastes almost the same, but feels so much lighter, just make sure to rinse the excess starch off with hot water after you boil it.
    bread (1/2 a large thin pita or a whole small pita)
    hotdog (2 medium/small wieners, no bun, or a whole regular/small sized dog, no fries & i'll finish it throughout the day)
    pancakes (2 medium/small ones)
    mashed potatoes (1.5 cups, beware this is also another item that goes down quite easily)
    chips ( 1 or 2 small bags, again junk food like that are the easiest thing to go down after a year post op)
    popcorn (2 or 3 popped cups - again look out for foods like that)
    TIP: Always air pop ur popcorn or use microwavable light popcorn & watch ur portions of it.
    Steak: Half or less of a regular steak.
    Fried chicken: 2 pieces is a big achievement for me
    Candy bars: 1 or less (if it's as thick as a mars bar)

What else?
    Think of whatever u want & ask me i'll be more than glad 2 help

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Loving what Jessy said

At first you most likely won't even want food. Sounds unbelievable but truly many of us have no interest in eating at all the first few months and it becomes like a chore. Oh, jeez, it's time to eat again already? Do I have to drink more, ugh, I feel like I'm floating! This is good. It gives you a chance to reset your brain and say goodbye to your food obsession, a clean breakup. Then you meet new food. It's different but hey, it's pretty nice. You eat 2 oz of something and it tastes different as well and you are so full you can't fathom how you ever, ever ate a big plate of something. In fact, it makes you a little nauseous to see other people eat as much as you used to. If you are dishing out the food in your house you start getting comments like "Are we out of groceries?" because you dish up small amounts for them as well. You eat on little tiny dishes and like it. You use toddler utensils and don't mind because it helps you not take too big a bite.
    Now, here's the fun part. You become a little obsessed with your closet and drawers. You find yourself spending a few hours arranging both by size so you know which piles to pack up for sale or charity when things start to look like clown clothes or fall right off your hips. You discover every thrift store in your area and gravitate towards the more affluent areas in town because they have the "good" stuff. You find something terrific for $5, wear it happily and then redonate it a month or so later when it's clown clothes.
    Need more happy thoughts? Your last two posters both lost over 100 lbs in less than a year.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Geoffrey Drapper
    Last Activity
    08-17-2013 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

Jessi81, that is so helpful to everyone. Thank you for passing on that info!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Geoffrey Drapper
    Last Activity
    08-17-2013 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

Grace, I so want those feelings you are explaining, more than anything! My surgery is on the 4th Sept. I feel like I will be reborn again! To Oompaloompa, remember, sugar is 9 times more addictive than cocaine, so you can only be expected to feel like you do. It's normal, sugar is in so many foods now, we are surrounded by sugar. Please be strong for your own sake. Good luck, and looking forward to hearing about it all in a few days time! ;-)

Name
    Francesca
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Simon Dexter
    Last Activity
    09-20-2013 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,721 Times
    Blog Entries

This has been sooo helpful for me! I would class myself as a food addict, I don't smoke I don't do drugs & rarely drink so I think as food as my drug of choice. When I think about addicts breaking their habit I think, it's easier to stop smoking, drinking or doing drugs as although there is the addiction our bodies don't ACTUALLY need those things to survive but it's does need food. It's like I need to control my addiction. OMG how will I ever just be able to eat a little? when I have been 'trained' to clear my plate.

With the help of a sleeve and by learning some new good habits, I hope that food will no longer be my drug of choice, high heels sound glorious! I havent worn heels in years, this is my goal, to buy and wear & walk in a pair of heels by this time next year!

Twitter - @GoldieLookinF

Gastric Sleeve Member shelleyssweets's Avatar
    Name
    Shelley Clark
    Surgery date
    08/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Christopher Myers
    Last Activity
    02-08-2015 05:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

You will grow a whole new appreciation for food. My first tiny sip of tomato soup was divine! Once you get past the surgery, things will change. Trust me, you WILL feel full with just a couple Tablespoons of food. I am a foodie and I own a Bakery. I was scared that I would feel repulsed by many foods after surgery, But just the opposite occurred. I look at food as a challenge now...."how do I make this dish healthier for me and my family". I am learning more about foods than just how it TASTES. I have shocked myself by realizing how many foods I have eaten over the years...but never really closed my eyes and tasted. Those weeks directly before and after your surgery are the hardest. Listen to your doctor and follow his/her plan and you WILL lose weight. Best of luck with your journey!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-01-2013 10:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Mellymel,

Was thinking about you this morning and that today is your first day of many as you work towards your goal. Remember, the pain is all worth it in the end. Listen to what they say and follow the clinic's directions. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds or anything else you may need. The first 3 days are the worst. Be strong, well, and I willl be waiting here to hear from you.

Name
    crystal
    Surgery date
    06/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. almanza
    Last Activity
    11-06-2014 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 71 Times
    Blog Entries

The addiction to food is hard to shake because we are self pay for mexico and we dont have to see a therapist. Im 2.5 months out and still struggle with head hunger. Its very hard to shake. You will be in good hands good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member Trustin Sleever's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

I agree with the person who said food is not your friend, it's actually your enemy. So true!
    For ME, the possibility of not wanting food anymore was a HUGE incentive- I was hoping and praying I would no longer be a slave to food.
    I thought of it not with fear or sadness (like so many people) of losing food, but with excitement and feeling like I might finally gain the upper hand and have control over food.
    Kind of like I was divorcing food: yes, we had some good times, but you're no good for me. I remember how you used to excite me, but the pain and the tears have taken over. You're still attractive, I'm sure there will be others... you're someone else's problem now.
    Day of surgery: 248 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member strawhat22's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-24-2015 12:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

Name
    Lee Ann
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr James Davidson
    Last Activity
    10-23-2016 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the same gitters as you. I love my sleeve so much. It's my new best friend. I really don't like food anymore. It's almost like do I Have to eat. You have to be ready for it though. It is a comitment for the rest of your life. It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change. I wish ya lots of luck
    “It’s not the mistakes in life that are important; it’s what we learn from them.” ~Donna Guthrie

Preop 17 pounds lost
    The rest is all surgery baby :-)
    My sleeve is my new best friend