Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to eat or drink 3 mos post-op

Same thing happened to my daughter. There is nothing mechanically wrong with her sleeve, but about a month after surgery she could no longer eat and began to vomit everything. She was admitted to the hospital for 4 days the week of Christmas and then sent home with no resolution. She became sicker. I took her back to the hospital on January 27th. For four days the doctor told me she was faking and looking for attention. He took away all of her fluids, would not run any tests, and let her sit there. On day five (her 20th birthday no less) she went totally blind. A new doctor ordered an MRI. She had bleeding in her brain. We were later flown four hours away to UAB where it was discovered that her entire brain had swelled. She was having seizures and was put on life support. She was diagnosed with PRES and Wernickes. Wernickes is devastating and caused by malnutrition. My daughter is in Neurological intensive care for day number 43 so far as a direct result of gastric sleeve surgery and doctors dismissing her when problems arose. She was in a coma for over a week. She was on life support for a month. She has a trach now. She cannot speak. She cannot sit up unassisted. She cannot maintain blood pressure up or down. She cannot maintain her heart rate. She has flatlined numerous times. She has a 6 inch incision in the center of her belly where they had to do surgery to insert a J-tube. She now gets all nutrition and medications through that tube. My daughter's life hangs in the balance every single day because I allowed her to have wls. I used to champion this surgery. I thought it was amazing. It almost killed me a year ago, but I thought it was just my bad luck. Now I know this surgery is just not as safe as I thought it was. Sometimes it can go wrong. Sometimes it can have life threatening consequences to otherwise healthy people. I I'll never recommend it again. I can't. Not after what we've been through and are going through.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Katrina, your story is horrifying and I hope your daughter is getting good care. Here's wishing her much recovery!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-03-2019 03:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am so sorry for what you and your daughter are going through. I have not been able to eat or drink since I woke up from this surgery. It has been 2 12/ years. I am wondering from what I have found with so many with complications why these are never advertised or described as a complication while obtaining consent. I want to do something about it. I would like to know what complications you endured after having this procedure? I would like to hear from anyone with complications. Take Care.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/15/2016
    Surgeon
    DR. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-20-2020 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 68 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 481 Times
    Blog Entries

I was sleeved on January 15 My. Complication is not as bad a Katrina's daughter but 12 days after my sleeve I have a severe hiatal hernia and it's driving me crazy ,I have an elephant on my chest severe heart burn that just won't go away that travels up and down from my stomach to my esophagus and my stomach feels all knotted up .yes I'm on meds but they are slow at work my dr said 2 or 3 months befor we can have it repaired so I have a dr appointment on Monday the 21 of March we'll see if we can schedule a hiatal hernia repair..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12