09/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-14-2012 05:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Thumbs down Im Getting REALLY SCARED!!!!

Hi there!......

Im having surgery in 10 days with Dr. Almanza, i fly out in 9 days and the reality of surgery is starting to hit me like a freight train.....basically im scared out of my mind! I had peace about the choices i've made up until this point, maybe this is just pre-op jitters...??? I'm just starting to think , "what if i die, what if i get an infection, what if i get a leak, what if something bad happens on my way home..." etc! I know that Dr. Almanza is a good surgeon (from all his reviews and post-op'ers on here) and i REALLY want the sleeve for my health and my happiness....so why am i freaking out so bad...? Any help would be AMAZING and any Almanza patients that want to tell me if they had the same feelings or should i say doubts? I know that the Jerusalem Hospital is actually a clinic and i have since before i even made surgery arrangements but now i'm starting to wonder if i'll be ok or is my organs will be harvested....LOL! Thats totally ridculous but it is going through my mind right about now.....UUUURRRRGGGHHH!!!!! I'm gonna go do something to get my mind to slow down...im seriously killing myself right now, with anxiety!!!!........TELL ME IM NOT BONKERS...hahahahaha :0/

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Nain
    Last Activity
    02-02-2013 08:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Im Getting REALLY SCARED!!!!

I was sleeved Jan 4 2012. It's the BEST decision I've made for myself! I have lost 60 pounds since the surgery, but more importantly I've adopted a healthy lifestyle. Just do it and add it to your toolbox to change your life forever. Best of luck to you let us know how you're doing!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-12-2013 11:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Hey there..i had my sleeve with Dr. ALMANZA and his team of awesomeness on the 17th. You will be well taken care of. The beauty of my journey was meeting all the others traveling the same day. Take care and breathe easy! Pam

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weaver
    Last Activity
    01-27-2013 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 4 weeks out and I have had a roller coaster of emotions from "can't wait giddy excitement" to "scared out of my wits" I think it is all natural and normal. Any surgery is scary but the percetanges are with us and the good far outweighs the bad.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 193 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 7 weeks out and I have big news I'm about to post it!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Zetagirl66's Avatar
    Name
    eleasha
    Surgery date
    08/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernado Garcia
    Last Activity
    11-19-2020 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I just had my sleeve done by Dr. Garcia in TJ on 8/21. What you are feeling is so normal. I was originally going to Dr. Almanza but opted for Dr. Garcia because I felt more comfortable being in a hospital setting. I was OK up UNTIL they wheeled me to the OR. I started crying and was like I am anxious. The Anestetologist said don't worry I will take care of that, pushed something in my IV and I woke up in recovery. No count down or anything for me. LOL The first day was really rough for me because I had a high BMI and I had 2 prior laprospic procedures. So there was a lot of scar tissue they had to go through. It was more pain from the gas than the actual surgery. You will be fine. Dr. Almanza is a very good doctor from what I have seen on the board. The procedure took about 4 hours for me but traditionally it should only take around 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Be prepared to be emotional about it. The 3rd day I went sight seeing even went to the beach! Then went down to the hotel bar and watched karoke! You may experience some nausea and a lot of gas pain. BUT U MUST walk even if you don't feel like it. The walking helps a LOT. I wasn't prepared for the emotional part of it. I also wasn't prepared to not be hungry BUT angry cause you CAN'T eat. I came home last night and promptly burst into tears when I walked through my doors. Why I couldn't tell you I think it's because I know I will never be the same and while that's exciting it's also sad. So go with your emotions feel the fear and do it anyway. I am looking forward to the journey and I am a little afraid of it too. You know you have to do something to change your life from where it is now and change is always scary.I promise no one will harvest your organs. You won't get robbed. I had my smart phone, Tablet, and Laptop with me the whole time and nothing happened to any of my belongings. You will be treated with respect and courtesy and you will never want for anything. The care I received was TOP notch !! If I have to go get the plastic surgery done I am definitely going back to Mexico for it. Be brave and know that you are worth the changes!! The hardest part will be the liquid diet but you can get through that too !! I will be praying for you and feel free to reach out to me ANYTIME !!

Quote Originally Posted by want2bahealthymom View Post
    Hi there!......

Im having surgery in 10 days with Dr. Almanza, i fly out in 9 days and the reality of surgery is starting to hit me like a freight train.....basically im scared out of my mind! I had peace about the choices i've made up until this point, maybe this is just pre-op jitters...??? I'm just starting to think , "what if i die, what if i get an infection, what if i get a leak, what if something bad happens on my way home..." etc! I know that Dr. Almanza is a good surgeon (from all his reviews and post-op'ers on here) and i REALLY want the sleeve for my health and my happiness....so why am i freaking out so bad...? Any help would be AMAZING and any Almanza patients that want to tell me if they had the same feelings or should i say doubts? I know that the Jerusalem Hospital is actually a clinic and i have since before i even made surgery arrangements but now i'm starting to wonder if i'll be ok or is my organs will be harvested....LOL! Thats totally ridculous but it is going through my mind right about now.....UUUURRRRGGGHHH!!!!! I'm gonna go do something to get my mind to slow down...im seriously killing myself right now, with anxiety!!!!........TELL ME IM NOT BONKERS...hahahahaha :0/

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Diana Walker
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2017 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

JUST STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!! If I was there I'd turn you over my knee and spank you good and proper! How old are you anyway? 6? By your own admission you've done your homework and researched the procedure and the doctor to death! You've read all of the accounts from those of us that went to Mexico and had surgery with Dr. Almanza...you KNOW he's a fabulous surgeon, you KNOW it's a small but extremely clean and state of the art hospital/clinic, you KNOW every step of what the procedures are and what to expect as far as gas pain, recovery time, etc. etc. etc. YOU are going to be your own worst enemy! Half the battle is IN YOUR HEAD and if you allow yourself to freak out over NOTHING like you seem to be doing you will sabotage every aspect of what should and IS a life changing POSITIVE experience. Do you want to be a healthy, active, fabulous Mom or not??? Haven't you ever heard that what you put out to the universe is what the universe returns to you? I have faith in you...you can do this...and I have TOTAL faith in Dr. Almanza and Jerusalem Hospital because I've been there and done that, bought the T-shirt and now it's big and baggy on me because I'm getting thinner and healthier every single day! Your attitude is defeatist before you've even started. so JUST STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!! ChaiDi
    ChaiDi

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jamie
    Surgery date
    09/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-27-2014 07:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I will be there for you to talk to after as I am getting the surgery there the day before you.

I have made a realization that there is no point worrying ... Yet the only thing I am worried about is sharing a room with someone and they have to listen to me snore...lol "Embarrassing!"
    I am very much looking forward to meeting other people like me, with the same issues I have been battling all my life.

We are going to be fine and there will be no looking back!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Poplawski
    Last Activity
    07-27-2013 11:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times

Well I can tell you I am 3 days away and I am better now that 2-4 weeks ago. I am very calm and at peace with what I am going to do. I am now in super get ready mode. Check double check, read and reread all my info. I am positively ready. I could go right now. Relax and understand that this is a big deal, but remaining the way we are now cannot be an option. You will be alright. Best of luck to you.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Island Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,309 Times
    Blog Entries

Breathe...the Jeruselum Clinic is great! No organ harvesting It is normal to be analyzing the situation--how often have we gone to Mexico for surgery? It was a new adventure in my lifetime. And, I plan to go back for a mommy makeover.

And if you have a leak--you will immediately go back into surgery to handle the situation. One of the nurses at the recovery house,, told us that he had only witnessed one leak during the years he worked there. Quite a few of the staff has had bariatic surgery and are a wealth of information. Dr. Almanza is sleeved. The facilites are very clean and if you follow the post op instructions and give yourslef time to heal--you should not have to worry about an infection.

Definately, setup an aftercare plan with your regular U.S, doctor, you will need to get you stitches out and have someone monitor you over the next few months to be sure you are not vitamin deficient. My doc is doing a blood draw every six weeks to check for dificentcies.

Take care,,,you are going to do great!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ninaricci46's Avatar
    Name
    Nina
    Surgery date
    09/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza, Mexico
    Last Activity
    08-05-2013 08:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Like BigslaveLaker, I will also be there with you...

I think the life cycle of a butterfly would apply here.. just think of the 3 life stages... and the last stage..... tra la la la..... the butterfly breaks free ...
    Keep your eye on the prize... not the race...
    See you soon and please, ban all those bad thoughts, they not doing you any good...

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ayana
    Surgery date
    09/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-14-2012 05:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Thank you to everyone.....Im still scared but a little less so.....LOL! Im trying so hard to just be at peace and just take this experience as a life saving tool! I will keep everyone posted and hopefully im going to ease up on stress....hahaha! Thanks again everyone!

Surgery date
    08/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    02-20-2013 03:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Your not crazy its totally normal to be scared! good for you for taking control of your life and doing something about your weight! best wishes on your new sleeved life!!!

26. Said thanks:

Name
    julie
    Surgery date
    09/03/2012
    Surgeon
    de silverman
    Last Activity
    06-02-2013 03:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Hi It is human nature to feel scared,Im haing mine the 3rd Sept,sometimes Im so excited then the nerves creep in.
    I believe that u are born on a day and will die on a day hopefuly that is not my day.Im asking the universe for the op to be a breeze I had to get my super over here in Aussieland and i did ask the universe for this everyday so i will ask the universe for this also.
    It will ok once u are knocked out the next thing u know u are awake,
    Take care
    Julie

28. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tricia
    Surgery date
    06/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-03-2013 12:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 89 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

Take a moment to sit and write down what your life might be like 10 years from now if you do NOT have the sleeve. Then write down how you imagine your life to be once you have lost the weight you need to loose. Are you going to let short term nervousness (which is SO NORMAL!!) prevent you from having long term gains! For me the process was a little like childbirth: it's scary, it's full of challenges, but you will be cared for and in the end it will be worth it. Now keep your chin up, stand strong and know oyu are taking charge of your life!! March on. Remember, you are on a mission!! By the way, the sleeve was a heck of a lot easier than childbirth!!!

30. Said thanks: