Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

Default Ladies, your hormones...How are they after the sleeve and do they effect your eating/cravings?

Whether you are menstrual, PMSing, in perimenopause, menopause, or post menopause, I'd like to know as I've had some interesting changes myself. Let's compare notes.

I'm in perimenopause, still have the same cravings, but have shorter easier periods. As 2 days of bleeding, less pain, etc. compared to my usual 3 with some spotting after that. However, I still have 2 full weeks of PMSing beforehand w/ the week before my period the worst and the day before I get awful headaches. I take Evening of Primrose Oil for PMS and sore breasts and it helps a lot. Also, as many of us have given up caffeine, it helps w/ less cramping and tenderness, as well. Oh, and I still crave stuff the same. This month it was KFC and I managed to abstain, but it was tough! Told myself I didn't want to spend $ on it and that I'd feel terrible afterwards

How about you?
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member lovedoinhair's Avatar
    Name
    Heidi
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ara Keshishian
    Last Activity
    10-10-2013 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Default Re: Ladies, your hormones...How are they after the sleeve and do they effect your eating/cravings?

Hello. I am 24 yrs old and have crazy PMS lol...I recently had a ultrasound to check for cysts and such but it was clear. I know my hormones r off by a little but the Dr has given me Lolo estren to try for hormone....so I'm hoping this helps the heavy periods and the crazy PMS I get. I can say that cravings and loss of patience has worsened with surgery but..my body is confused ..

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ladies, your hormones...How are they after the sleeve and do they effect your eating/cravings?

I started peri about 5 yrs ago, with the nasty sweats. I took remifemin for a couple of years til the doc said enough and then they were gone anyway... FSH test said I was menopausal about 6 mo prior to surgery. FSH test done 1 yr later, 6 mo after surgery had me back at peri with a much different hormone level. I'll be interested to see next Feb where I'm at. I had a partial hystie (still have my ovaries) at age 40 to fix my menorrhagia (bled 16 days a month), so I can't tell where I'm at without a blood test. Otherwise I've found I seem to be a bit more peaceful and sexual now than in the 7 or so months after surgery. I was an emotional mess during the heavy weight loss time, but now everything seems to be evening out a bit.
    There is no gain without some payment, it seems. But I still wouldn't have skipped my sleeve. I may have been hormonal for a while but now I have a few extra years to make it up to my hubby
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Island Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,309 Times
    Blog Entries

I am also in perimenopause and on my way to menopause...haven't had a menstral cycle on 9 months. Prior to surgery, I had my hormone levels checked because I noticed emotional bouts and moodiness. My GYN prescribed progestrone creme because my estrogen was low. I used the progestrone creem for 45days prior to surgery and noticed good results.

After VGS, i have noticed moodiness and cravings again. Still using my creme and breathing alot. Thinking there may be a herbal or homeopathic solution for those edgy days.

Yesterday, I was at the hairdresser and got incredibly hungry...I wanted french fries....yes I am a salty food craver. So, since I am working hard to rethink my food choices, I went to a nearby Vitamen Cottage (local health food store) and purchased turkey salami and cheese. Rolled up 1/2 a piece of cheese in salami...yummy! Also found an oil free, all natural hummus.

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I Haven't had a period in 16 months now and am in my 4th month post op. I haven't noticed any changes really with my hormones but I did read a few posts on here that some menopausal women got their periods back. I don't even want to go there!!! I keep kidding my husband wouldn't it be funny if I announced on his 60th birthday next month that I was pregnant...NOT! Anyhow, I've had no hunger really or any craving to speak of since the surgery. It has been a welcomed miracle for me. Prior to surgery I ate anything and everything sweet that wasn't nailed down. I ate very little fruits and veggies and alot of meat and fast foods. My moods have been steady and knock on wood I'm not the typeof person who gets down or depressed really. So for me, it has been status quo since surgery. Good luck to you with the cravings. I'm sure mine might come along with some hunger eventually, but for now, I'm loving having to force myself to eat.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    12-10-2015 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 191 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times

I am 46...perimenopausal...regular period lasting about 5 days...some months heavy and bad cramping, other months lighter and tolerable. I had my cycle during surgery and got it again a week and a 1/2 earlier than normal...I am extra crabby one week prior and do have cravings but have not gone out and purchased my beloved REESES, so I am doing ok. I think I have switched to watermelon and popcorn as my cravings binges.

Gastric Sleeve Member Evie Sleevie's Avatar
    Name
    Eve
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    07-01-2014 03:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 163 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 196 Times

I'm 42, and still having regular periods. I've had a bit of mucus-like brownish spotting throughout the last few months off and on. I still crave chocolate and my appetite increases tremendously with PMS. I'll be craving something so strongly, and I'll look at the calendar and say, "Ah ha..." I indulge myself with 'fun size' candy bars that I keep in the freezer. I nibble on one slowly, and I get my fix.

My skin still breaks out like I'm 16, however! Oh, the joys of being a woman!

Name
    Tina
    Surgery date
    04/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Robert li
    Last Activity
    04-09-2013 07:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 248 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,883 Times
    Blog Entries

We I am in menopause and have been for 2 years.I got sleeved 4 and a half months ago. I now get cramps every month for a few days and last month spotted. I went to the doctor last week to see what's up. She tried to do a biopsy but couldn't get in. I asked if it could be my hormones are messed up. She said with the weight loss it could be. Fat contains a lot of hormones. I left the doctors office I think I started a period light but for the last 6 days. On the 23 I have to get an ultrasound. I will let you know what happens. They think I have a fibrils tumor in the way which is caused by hormones.

Gastric Sleeve Member angelamarie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/20/2012
    Last Activity
    07-29-2013 11:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I am 39 and I have PMDD and I have been even more of an emotional mess. The doctor upped the dosage of my happy pills, but he said it might just be a ride as I am losing weight. I seem to be moved to tears much more easily. I had a uterine fibroid embolization a few years back, so my periods have been getting lighter and lighter and this month what I did bleed wouldn't have even soaked up a whole pad. And this after not being able to leave the house a few years back! So, all in all, I guess I can take the ride. Cravings are much less for me however and I haven't noticed the menstrual migraines I normally get.

Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Benjamin Kim
    Last Activity
    02-17-2016 12:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a real bad bout of pms last week (moodyness is the worst). I was taking fish oil before surgery, but haven't since 2 weeks before surgery. I blame my pms on that. Fish oil usualy controls my moodyness. I noticed my period was heavier then usual also. but, I really think it because of the lack of fish oil for me. I have to ask the dr/nutricionist how I should take it now, there too big to swallow.
    Stephanie....beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Day of surgery weight 195

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-30-2013 05:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

just had my sleeve done last week and before it happen i was in FULL FULL FORCE MENOPAUSE! just miserable, but since the surgery i have not had a hot flash....YEAH, shake your booty, wehew, thank the lord, hip hip hooray. Im sorry yall i had been going thru severe for 3 years and now i can celebrate....hehaw, pimp down, wyhooooooooooooo

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times

The first period I had after surgery was brutal, but shorter by a day. This past one was much easier AND shorter. I shouldn't have periods at all since I've had a uterine ablation, but my uterus refuses to give up. The Mirena didn't stop periods either. The ablation had better results.

They just REALLY need to find a treatment for PMS. 2 weeks of that stuff is too long.

Surgery date
    06/20/2012
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Leshuz View Post
    The first period I had after surgery was brutal, but shorter by a day. This past one was much easier AND shorter. I shouldn't have periods at all since I've had a uterine ablation, but my uterus refuses to give up. The Mirena didn't stop periods either. The ablation had better results.

They just REALLY need to find a treatment for PMS. 2 weeks of that stuff is too long.
    My ablation helped a little for a while. The fibroid embolization is what did it for me.

Have any of you with heavy bleeding heard about or tried Lysteda? I don't need it anymore, I was going to be part of the drug trial for it before I moved and I was wondering if it helps.

Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times

There are so many class actions for new drugs green lighted through the FDA these days due to lack of regulation (and lubrication of corporate MONEY pushing their approval) that I'm leery of new drugs. Uh, save the sleeve, which, while not a drug, is still considered "experimental."

Estrogen is stored in fat, so when we lose fat, we lose estrogen. This can be good or bad, potentially but the only time it's really okay to have excess estrogen is during menopause, when your levels start decreasing. I hope they will have figured out a cure for menopause by the time I'm there...but I doubt it. 5 years? Hah.

Surgery date
    06/20/2012
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

The Lysteda trial was actually just for an off label use. The drug has been around forever, but called something else. They used to give it to people that bled a lot before dental procedures. You only take it during your period, and there is no hormones. Just something worth checking out for those of us that have had ablations that can't take birth control.

But ya, don't get me started on big pharma and what they bankroll......speaking of, and this is probably a taboo subject.....but marijuana is AWESOME for pms, (and sleep, and pain, etc)! LOL!! (But seriously, it is) Just don't get any strains that give you the munchies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast