Dr Garcia
    Last Activity
    07-08-2013 09:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Insurance...still going to Mexico

So I'll try to make this as short as possible....

I am recently divorced and the agreement between my ex husband and I would be that he keep me on his insurance for 2 years after our divorce. Well 5 months after our divorced he was married again and some how he forgot what he told me. So after finding a Dr in Michigan and being 100% approved, gathering most of the required paperwork I had to inform my Dr that I was no longer covered under BCBS. I couldn't find a new insurance that I could afford because of other health issues. So I decided to go to Mexico. Im packed plane ticket purchased and deposit made.......then I get the call today that I will be covered under US insurance and they also have a weigh loss surgery plan. My best friend asked "well what are you going to do?" I was a little confused and then remembered that the whole reason for me turning down other insurance was due to cost and not covering my surgery. I quickly explained that I'm still going. Waiting all over again and gathering all that info will not be worth it when I can start my new life in 25 days. She kinda looked at me with and eyelid raised and said "ok its your decision and I support it" I'm sure she wanted to say save your 6k and wait. Her son had his completed in about 3 months, however his DR rushed a lot of his paperwork. Due to the fact that he had just turned 18 and would be graduating from high school and his mother wasn't sure if the insurance would drop him after graduation. He has now lost over 100 pounds and doing great. A little hardheaded but looks good and always smiling.

I over think every decision, and I didn't with this one. I'm sure I have made the best decision for me and I'm moving forward.

Glad that I have insurance now to cover my blood work to check my levels post op, and to beg the Dr for some gallbladder prevention medication , however I will save my insurance company some money and me some time.

High Ho High Ho
    Off to Mexico I GO!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    crystal
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Michael Baptista
    Last Activity
    07-05-2017 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 194 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Insurance...still going to Mexico

Do. Your research because a lady from another forum did this and now her insurance won't cover nothing related to obesity because she did self pay for wls! Isn't that stupid! They won't cover her diabetes high bp nothing! No office visits that's related to obesity. I wish u the best of luck and know what u going through.I just finished jumping through hoops for insurance and my surgeon ran off and quit the same day my packet was to be submitted so now I had to find another surgeon whom I see next week! My first plan was Mexico but let family talk me out of it. I had plane tickets,paid deposit, passport and all! I would have been at my goal weight if I hadn't have let them discourage me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ebony
    Surgery date
    09/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Garcia
    Last Activity
    07-08-2013 09:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Insurance...still going to Mexico

I did hear someone talking about this before, I guess I didn't think of that. Thanks for the info. I let friends / family talk me out of it twice and when I was ready and knew I was ready I was no longer insured. So 20 lbs later I'm ready and my lips are sealed. Good luck with your search and thanks for the information.