09/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-14-2012 05:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Default Re: 20 years old...320lbs and headed to mexico soon!

thank you all VERY VERY much!!!! i'm feelling great about my surgery and im ready to do this for ME! Im only a little nervous for the acutal surgery but im not even a little skeptical about trusting Dr. Almanza which is a good feeling! I did have to move my surgery date to september 4th but im ok with that and have set a alarm on my cell phone to count down the days...haha im soooooooo excited and i have been motivated by so many people on this forum that i feel confident in this choice ive made and i know if im having a hard day i can ALWAYS come to you sleevers to comfort me, allow me to confide in your experience and even just listen to my ranting on occasion....LOL!!! Thanks to everyone and happy loosing to you all

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

Want2beahealthymom, good for you! It's only a few weeks away! I remember being on here constantly when I found out I was finally booked. I waited for almost 5 months before finally booking my date! Honestly, the money I paid for was for Dr. Almanza. I trusted him because he's done this for a long time and has a lot of experience. I didn't really care that the clinic was really small. That money I paid was strictly to get a great surgery with a doctor that I trusted. The rest of the experience was just fine. It's a no frills kind of place and that is all right because all i cared about was a healthy surgery. My recovery was pretty easy. i was a little uncomfortable but that is all. I was up and walking around fine after surgery! Oh and the day time nurses at the clinic are awesome!

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ayana
    Surgery date
    09/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times

I am soooo excited my date is getting close! How long is the surgery day? I know we get picked up at the jet blue terminal @ 9am then we cross the border but how long is the wait to get the surgery? and will my husband have to go to the hotel that night or will he be able to stay with me? thanks again everyone whos posted and shown support *LOVE YA'LL*

Name
    Diana Walker
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2017 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry it has taken me several days to respond...I work full time and we are remodeling so life is kinda' hectic right now. My actual surgery only took 45 minutes according to what the Jerusalem Hospital staff told me. I apparently walked myself into the recovery room and was talking to them but I have no memory of that...anesthesia does that to me...then I apparently walked myself into my regular room an hour or so later...again no memory of that! ha! Once I started getting the anesthesia out of my system though (mid-afternoon) things were better. They let my husband come in and say hello and give me a kiss, then they took him to the hotel for the first night. I slept off and on but never got sick to my stomach or anything like that. Tummy felt like I'd tried to do about a thousand sit-ups but wasn't nearly as bad as I had prepared myself for!!! Next morning I walked myself to the restroom pushing my IV cart and stopped to chat a minute at the door of another room with another lady that had surgery the same day I did. I was discharged the afternoon of the second day but they left the IV in so they could give me antibiotics through it...I think they did that twice more...but after that I was free to go to the hotel and stay with my husband. Others of course went to the recovery house. You'll have a drain from one of your incisions for 2 days and they'll remove it before you go home. I might have just been one of the lucky ones but I really didn't have much discomfort...some gas, yes, but Gas-X and walking did the trick and I felt absolutely fine by Saturday...even walked across the street downtown with hubby and went out to eat...or course he ate and I had some broth but it felt good to get out and move. Sunday they drove us back to the airport and it was about the same...a little tired but walked on my own and not much discomfort at all...flew from San diego to Las Vegas, had a layover then Las Vegas to Utah, then drove about 45 minutes home, got to bed around 10:00 as I remember then got up and went to work on Monday as if nothing had taken place! I'm a secretary so it was just sitting and typing etc., but I really felt quite good considering everything from the past 4 days! And the rest just kept getting better. It's after mid-night so I'm going to bed now, but if you respond I'll try to get back to you tomorrow evening after work. How old are you? Married? Kids? Work? Where do you live? Having surgery in Mexico...Almanza and staff will take REALLY good care of you! Chat with you tomorrow evening. Diana
    ChaiDi

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Theresa McBride
    Surgery date
    05/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-16-2012 12:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hello, Sorry for the delay in responding as well.

After me and my guest got picked up from the airport. We got to Jerusalem Hospital and got our wrist bands and our charts made up. If anyone still had an outstanding balance they had to pay it at this time. Then we all got gowns and a bag to put our clothes in. There were 8 of us having surgery that day. After we got our gowns on we just sat around upstairs in the hospital as they would call us one by one. I think i was about number 4 out of the 8 so i had a little wait. But Dr. Almanza was doing surgery literally all day long. I think he finished the last procedure that night. Once i came to from the anesthia, i walked upstairs to my bed and slept. The nurse would come in a check on me from time to time. We were asked to get up and walk also. I shared the room with a woman from Texas. That night my guest went to Hotel Ticaun because the guest house was full. The next day we continued to walk and get fluids through our IV. We got released from t e hospital this day and me and my guest stayed at hotel Ticuan. It is very, very, very nice. The next day i just slept and threw up. The hotel staff gave us free freeze pops and both whenever we wanted it. The Hospital van would come and take us back to the hospital for appointments and test. We also went one day to a radiology center and had our leak test done. Be prepared to pay $20.00 if you want to bring your x-ray home with you. I got mine and took it to my doctor here when i got back. I just wanted my doctor to make sure everything looked good. and it did. the stuff you have to drink before you do the x-ray is NASTY!!!!!! I almost threw up right there in the lobby. It was horrible. But once that is done and everything checks out the next day you go home. Oh yea, they take the IV out like the second day i think. I know the IV is taken out before you get your x-ray done. The nurses will give you a little blue bag with wound care stuff, antibotics and pain pills. They took us back to the airport and i came home. It was a smooth, complication-free trip for me. I am down 50 pounds and i had my surgery May 31st.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ayana
    Surgery date
    09/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times

Im 20, married and no kids....im VERY excited that i only have a number of days left that i can count on 2 hands..LOL! I'm very nervous for my husband to stay at the hotel alone..HAHAHAHA but i know things will be ok and hopefully there will be no trouble....(fingers crossed)! Thanks both ChaiDi and Destineetheangel ! I love getting support from everyone on here and its making me a little less nervous each post i read....

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Theresa McBride
    Surgery date
    05/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-16-2012 12:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

It is my pleasure to help you. I was nervouse too. I must admit. But my desire to live a normal, good life out weighed any fear or nervousness i had. I wanted to travel to Mexico and have the procedure MORE than I was willing to stay like I was.

Go to Mexico have your surgery and look out. The Best is yet to come!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey healthymom
    the hotel is really nice. I was impressed with it. Your hubby will be happy there and I'm sure you will be too. The area surrounding the hotel is one of the nicer more contemporary areas in Tijuana. I know parts of Tijuana may look a little scary but I've been to the inner cities in Houston and I'm pretty sure that the Houston inner cities were worse! There is a lot of graffiti and some rough looking areas near the clinic but don't let that deter you. Once I got inside the clinic, it was very clean and very well put together. The staff is all nice and though the waiting areas and rooms are tiny--they are very clean. I promise once you step inside the clinic your worries will be put to rest. The cardiologist guy is an older gentleman and really sweet and the daytime nurses are top notch and at least the one I encountered spoke good English. I promise they will make you feel comfortable. One husband was there and would not leave his wife's side and another lady's sister spent the night at the clinic. I think they were sleeping on the couch and a chair outside the rooms. It did not look very comfortable and it looked like there was only room for 1 or 2 people. The other moms/husbands went off to the hotel for the evening.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Chris Heusinger
    Surgery date
    12/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Felix Jean-Pierre
    Last Activity
    03-19-2014 07:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

God bless you with your surgery! Please follow all the post-op directions. I haven't had my sleeve yet and I'm envious of you that yours is so soon!!

13. Said thanks: