Mr Patil
    Last Activity
    02-16-2013 12:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: I was gonna go with the sleeve and decided on the bypass

Hi there,

I was scheduled to have a gastric bypass, as my surgeon persuaded me that it was the better option in terms of weight loss and also negative reinforcement in terms of dumping syndrome. However, on the operating table my surgeon found that my guts are pretty stuck together after previous abdominable surgeries and so decided to do a sleeve instead. I have to admit, I am now greatly pleased that it was a sleeve and not the bypass. Although it has only been 7 weeks, I feel great. I came off my diabetes meds on Day 5 and have had consistently good sugar levels. I am tolerating a wide range of foods and have had no problem with vomiting etc.

However, I think the point you raise about dumping being a useful aid to willpower is a good one and you know yourself best in terms of what is going to work well for you. For me, having thought I was going to have a bypass and now having a sleeve, this was an issue I have had to address over the last several weeks. Although it is very early days, I am working with the idea that this is a permanent lifelong change of diet for me. For example, my big trigger food was chocolate and I have made a decision that rather than being a daily event as it was previously, it is going to be something I keep to enjoy on special occasions. I have not had any since I was sleeved and have decided that I won't have any until Christmas Day when I will allow myself a little chunk of something. I think psychological and behavioural change is the most important thing for all of us who have WL surgery and this is what I am focussing on presently.

I hope your surgery goes well and that you see a quick improvement in your health, as I have!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Beverly
    Surgery date
    10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I know it must be confusing to have finally settled on a procedure and have so many people bring up all the questions you thought you have settled in your mind! I pray that you will be able to make the best decision for you. However, there are many people who have had significant problems with the bypass. When I was trying to decide which surgery was best for me I decided on the Duodenal Switch as you had all the advantages of the sleeve and a much better malabsorption with the DS. However, I had a lot of scar tissue preventing the surgeon from doing the DS so I ended up with the sleeve. I am very happy with my results so far 40lbs. In just over 50 days! I am also off my C-pap, 1 of my b/p meds, cholesterol med, my hormone and my fluid pills! The biggest thing for me is my hunger has decreased significantly! I still get hungry when I have gone too long between meals or haven't eaten enough calories, but I am not starving all the time like before my sleeve. That has really helped me not cheat more than anything else. Also with the sleeve if down the road you finding yourself gaining weight you have the option of having the malabsorption procedure that is the difference between the sleeve and the DS. You might want to go over to Obesity.com and check out the DS forum. There are many people there that failed with the RNY and has since had the DS and cannot belive how much better the DS is. You just need to make sure you have checked out all your options thoroughly before making your decision. Best wishes in your search!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Manuel Castro, MD
    Last Activity
    01-07-2013 11:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

This topic is why I don't recommend any procedure when people ask me about my weight loss. I advise them to listen to what their Doctor recommends. He is responsible for giving you the facts to help you make your best decision.
    As for the acid reflux, I had the hietal hernia repair at the same time, and I've purposely eaten Picante sauce at bedtime, to test it, with no trouble. I can eat any food or drink any drink I want, but I do find that tortillas tend to swell up in a sneaky way, as does pasta, so I limit the volume. Veggies go down really easily! Eight ounces of anything in 30 minutes is all I can eat, even with a little fluid. I hit the stop and I'm not hungry, it is great.
    The only thing I stay away from is Ibuprofen and related NSAIDS.

Gastric Sleeve Member DebbieNTexas's Avatar
    Name
    Debbie
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr John Pilcher
    Last Activity
    11-03-2013 08:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times

Well my consult last week had a surprising result. It turns out my insurance will only approve the sleeve if your BMI is ove 50. I am at 41. Doctor said they may change their requirements in the new year. He does not like them making that choice and doesn't understand their reasoning, but that's insurances for ya. I have a 6 month wait anyway, so it will give me time to research more. But disappointed for sure. Doctor said I would be a good candidate for the bypass as well. He doesn't feel the reflux would be an issue with either. Soooo, I'll wait and see what the new year brings.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beverly
    Surgery date
    10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I am sorry. It is so hard to get mentally prepared then have to change course! I recommend contacting your insurance company to see if they use case managers. If so ask to be put under case management it is often easier to get insurance approval because the case manager is someone who will advocate on your behalf and knows the exceptions and how to get you through the system. If you get a case manager stress all of your comorbidities especially if you have Diabetes, sleep apnea,high cholesterol and/or blood pressure. Medicare has just now approved VSG and most insurances base their guidelines on what Medicares approves. Best of luck!

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member BrickHouse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehul Trivedi
    Last Activity
    03-12-2014 07:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 116 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Beverlyp View Post
    I am sorry. It is so hard to get mentally prepared then have to change course!
    I agree. I also think that it's hard enough to change course, based on your own research and your own particular situation and then have so many people tell you why your choice is not a good one. I'm not pointing fingers, but when someone has made the very difficult decision of which surgery to have, based on their own situation and after conducting their own research, it seems downright selfish to still try and shove your own procedure down their throat.

I, for one, began using this site last year and learned so much more than all the library books, doctor consultations and you tube videos combined taught me. But my circumstances have changed and I will now be having RNY. I still come to this site because I like the support and camaraderie. This board is just for people like the original poster, and for me, too, using "Other Types of Bariatric Surgery."
    www.TakeMyFundus.Blogspot.com

<s>Surgeon's Seminar 7/25/12
    First Surgeon Visit 8/16/12
    Breast Cancer Diagnosis 10/4/12
    Bilateral Mastectomy 11/6/12</s>
    SURGERY RNY 12/11/13

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Roxanne Heitkamp
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alberto Aceves
    Last Activity
    07-28-2013 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 236 Times

As always everyone is different and have different weight loss needs. Everyone also have the right to make their own choices. We have all made our choices based on our research, and this doesn't need to be an either/or situation. No one is required to defend their choice either.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-29-2015 02:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Well, I had the bypass like I posted about. The surgery was done on Dec 19th, 2012. I've lost 100.5 pounds and feel wonderful! I can eat more than I want to though. I was hoping to feel fuller sooner. My energy level is through the roof. My grandchildren are shocked and thrilled that I participate in all kinds of outdoor activities with them now. I pray that all of your choices are as successful as mine has been. I'd do it all over again this afternoon! God Bless Y'all. Ray G

Gastric Sleeve Member vickybeads's Avatar
    Name
    Victoria
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Stewart, Denton TX
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times

I'm going to throw my two cents in here. My hubby had RnY 4 years ago. Went from 285 to 180 and has finally settled down (up) at about 195-200. He weighs every Monday and adjusts his eating to stay in that range; he can eat pretty much anything he wants, but, he still visits the porcelein throne if he happens to eat the wrong thing, eats too fast, doesn't chew the food small enough, etc. He has to stop eating and let things settle down before continuing and tends to sip water while eating (something I cannot do with my sleeve and don't plan on doing). He can eat some sugars, but others send him to the throne room within 5 mins. He must take vitamins twice a day and is still on his high cholesterol meds (his Cardio says the med has other benefits for him); he must drink 2 protein drinks every day, at a minimum; it was two full weeks of recovery before he even tried going back to a desk job, then he only worked 1/2 days for a week or two.

All that being said, he's very happy with the results.

At the time he was looking at the RnY, I went with him to the seminars and the surgeons. I knew I didn't want the lap band and the RnY wasn't something I wanted to deal with; our insurance wouldn't pay for the sleeve at the time, so I continued with Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Atkins, or whatever program I was on at that time. I just wasn't ready mentally for surgery.

It took another 3.5 years before I had had enough yo-yoing and decided I was ready. Our insurance still wouldn't pay for the sleeve, or any other surgery for me. I was ONLY at 39.8 BMI and only had 1 co-morbidity (HBP). If I had added about another 20-25 lbs and got my BMI up to 40, they would have covered the lap band or the RnY, but I wasn't willing to do that, and, the opportunity came up for us to self pay for mine, which meant I could get the sleeve.

Just hit the 6 month mark on 19 June and I wouldn't change a thing. I went in for my initial consult around the end of October and had my surgery the 19th of November 2012. I was at 215 when I first went in, 210 the morning of surgery and yesterday my weight was 151.2 (down 63.8 lbs) and I've lost 59 inches. I'm about 16-17 lbs from my goal, which may be a little low, but I know I'll gain a few pounds at the 1 year mark, so I want to have that margin.

If you're not squeamish, go to :

ORLive, Inc.: Online Surgical and Healthcare Video and Webcasts

and search for vertical sleeve gastrectomy and or RnY to see what the surgery entails.

Whichever path you finally settle on - best of luck to you and stay in touch.

Cheers!
    <small>
    MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods</small>
    GOAL! Woo hoo! Now to maintain, or maybe add a few!
    Last Weigh-in: 1/13/15, 136.4
    Next Weigh-in: 1/19/15

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    02-08-2014 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Glad you made a decision. Do what feels right for you. I was planning on the band but never felt right about it. Then I changed my mind and went with the sleeve and I'm so happy with my results!

Gastric Sleeve Member DebbieNTexas's Avatar
    Name
    Debbie
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr John Pilcher
    Last Activity
    11-03-2013 08:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times

Glad to see some recent posts here. My Bypass is scheduled for Oct 14th. I feel better about, been doing more research and thinking the sugar restriction will be good for me. I also have had bad reflux for so long that maybe the the sleeve wouldn't be my best choice. Glad to see the positive comments about the Bypass. I realized you'll see good and bad for both. The surgeon that did my husband's sleeve and the Dr that will be doing my surgery both refer the Bypass as the Gold Standard. Even at the video link that an earlier poster left, they did too. I realize that's primarily due to it being around for so long. I'm just excited at the thought of getting healthy. Hope to see others checking back in here.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Steve Webb
    Surgery date
    02/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Peeter Soosar
    Last Activity
    01-25-2014 11:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

I'm waiting to see my Surgeon tomorrow before I make a final decision. I do have reflux that is controlled as long as I take prilosec everyday. If I don't take it for three or more days I live in misery. My final decision hinges on what the Surgeon reccomends. I know either way I'm going to lose weight. I believe the sleeve or the pouch can be stretched if we stuff it enough times.

Gastric Sleeve Member Island Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,309 Times
    Blog Entries

Best to you and making your final decision. It is definitely a personal choice that effects the rest of your life. Take care!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. D. Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-30-2014 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Thats too bad My insurance ( Blue Cross Blue Shield) approved my sleeve, with a BMI of 38, with high BP, and sleep apnea. I would not give up on the first refusal. Think about an appeal. It would be worth it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    don't know yet
    Last Activity
    05-21-2014 09:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I am in Louisana and medicade has policys and I had to change my policy I could have the sleeve done but now I am looking sometime after April that's when my new policy kicks in. But I looked in to all of them and I have the worst luck so I picked the procedure that has the least cuts and chance of some thing to move, to grown in me , or grow together. So I picked the sleeve and I have done so much research that I can't count how many hours and web sites. But, when it all comes down to it , it's what's best for you.