I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Rao
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

Default Re: Explain your hospital stay please!

Thank you im glad you recovered quickly from your collapsed lung

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Don Landrum
    Surgery date
    07/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Pilcher
    Last Activity
    04-15-2013 09:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Explain your hospital stay please!

I had my Sleeve on 07/03/12 in San Antonio. I arrived at the hospital at 12 noon. I fasted after midnight so no food, liquid, and no meds. They took me back to the preop area around 1pm and i changed into the gown, they took my vitals, and started the IV with fluids. Around 2pm the Anesthelogist (sp) came in and talked about what he would be doing and asked a bunch of questions. My doctor showed up around 2:15pm and he talked to my family for a few minutes and then asked me if i was ready. Of course the answer was yes. Shortly thereafter they gave me a shot and wheeled me to surgery. The last thing I remember is going through the double doors on the way to surgery.

The only thing I remember about the recovery room is someone telling me that it was going to take a few minutes for the pain meds to kick in. The next thing i remember was it was around 7pm my family was there and the nurse was showing me how to use the pain pump. Around 9pm the nurse and my spouse got me out of bed, I went to the bathroom and then walked up the hall and back.

After that I walked every two hours for the rest of the night. By the third time i was able to walk by myself. I also sipped on water throughout the night and ice chips (very challenging) since i could only take a few chips or a little water.

My doctor came by early the next morning and said i was doing well and because i had been walking and drinking fluids i could go home that day.

Some other information:

They took me off the pain pump at midnight and changed me over to the liquid pain meds i would be taken after discharge.

I did have the leg wraps on that prevent blood clots until 7am the next morning.

They did not cath me.

I did get two insulin shots while i was in the hospital. I am not diabetic but my doctor does this as a precaution.

I went home on Wednesday afternoon and by Saturday morning i was off the pain meds.

Overall I think my surgery experience was kind of a best case scenario. I feel very fortunate. If i was going to offer any advice it would be as follows:

1. Make yourself walk (early and often).
    2. Focus on the fluids as this is the key in the early going.
    3. During the few days before your surgery keep yourself busy so you want have as much time to think about it. I went with my family to play shuffleboard the night before my surgey.

Good Luck

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sleave31st's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Rao
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times

Thank you, it sure sounds like yours went smoothly. I hope for the best and will keep in mind to get up and walk!

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Cutting and pasting my experience here.

Monday Night --Healing in TJ--a bot long, sorry!

So, it was quite the adventure, and not over yet! Saturday morning, after a couple of false starts, Ana drove Mum and me to the Florence Hospital, which is also the Oasis, or was the Oasis, not exactly sure because it seems to have, or is changing hands and changing names, even though all the signs on the doors say "Oasis" but the bedding and towels say "Florence". It's a very small hospital, but like I said before, it's quite adequate. We were surprized to see a few Amish families there as well. Imagine how incongruous all of that is: I'm still tripping about the fact that I actually traveled this far to do this thing. I'm with my mother in a Spanish-speaking country, to get a surgical procedure done, (gutsy, or crazy? I haven't yet decided which, or if it's a bit of both) and I walk into a hospital where there are these people walking around, looking like Thanksgiving characters and speaking in German! Dr. Kelly says there are 3-4 Amish families at this hospital every week. And when I say families, I mean like grandma, daughter, husband, kids, grandkids, everyone shows up for an illness in their community! My mother spoke with one of the young women, Mary, whose mother had breast cancer surgery. They come here because the price is reasonable and in their culture they only pay cash for everything. Also, they don't have any medical insurance, so schlepping the entire family out to Mexico for Granny's cancer treatment is cheaper than trying to access health care at home in New York State.

I was assigned room 212, next door to two others who'd had surgery with Dr. Kelly th day before me: DeeDee, on these boards, and her sister. Very nice ladies, and now we're in the same hotel together; they leave for home tomrrow. When I was crying the major blues the first night of my surgery, they assured my mother that I would feel better the next day. I figured they must just be trying to cheer me up, or that they didn't have as bad a time as I did, and figured I would be better based on their experiences. But they were right, by 2:30 in the morning, I turned a corner and felt 80% better. Had it not been for my mother's snoring, I would have had a great night's sleep. She decided to sleep in the recliner next to me, not out of motherly concern so much, but because it was marginally more confortable than the guest "bed" they put in the room. Mum said, "They need to take that damn bed and shove it in the nearest trash bin!" Never one to mince words, my mum! But her snoring is awful, and she wasn't close enough for me to nudge or tap her, so I suffered in silence. A nurse came by and shut our door; no doubt, she was disturbing other patients, and any neighbors within a mile of the building!

Anyway, I turned the phenomenal corner to tolerable pain levels, and decided to take another walk up the hall, past the nurses' station and back. They could see I felt better. I think I even managed a bit of a smile, and announced that while I was not up to climbing any mountains just yet, I felt much better. After my walk, I tried to sleep, but mum snored and kept me awake, so I sat up and stared at the wall until fatigue won me over and I finally slept.

Acid reflux was was killer! And my experience at Florence was that for the most part, speedy responses to requests for medication are not their forte. Don't get me wrong, everyone on the staff was delightfully sweet and helpful. Very compassionate and gentle, but also a little under-staffed, I think. So waiting an hour or more to get an IV bag changed or to get pain or nausea meds was the norm. When you're in pain, or want to throw up, this is just not good!

Another thing for which I was not prepared was coughing up little chunks of blood. Yuk! I never remember anyone on these forums writing about this, but go figure--you go get your guts cut out, you're gonna cough up some blood, right? Right! Even today, I'm coughing up a little. I asked Dr. Kelly about it and he said it's normal and nothing to worry about it. Not painful, just unpleasant to see in a kleenex!

The second day, I complained loudly enough about acid reflux that the staff doctor offiered me some medicine, but first I had to drink the azul (blue dye). I had a drainage tube put in because I am a revision from band to sleeve patient, and they had to check for leaks, I had to have the azul drink--nasty as hell! No blue leaked onto my collection bulb, but my pee was bluish-green a couple times after that! All good on that front!
    After another night of semi-sleep due to Mother's snoring, we woke up this morning ready to break out of the joint. Dr. Kelly came in after the nurse took out my IV, and he pulled out the drainage tube. Dr. Kelly's a really nice guy, but I think I almost hit him in that moment! That bloody hurt! But I'm a big girl and I got over it, once the wave of nausea and weakness finally passed. Dr. Kelly and Ana then took us to Hospital Angeles, a beautiful facilty, and more what we would expect to see in the states. There I had my barium swallow test. A lot of people complain about this, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I'm not saying it tasted good, but It really wasn't as bad as the azul in my opinion. It was kinda gross, and I told the radiology tech, "Remind me not to accept an invitation from you to go out for a drink!" but it didn't make me want to barf as it has so many others. I got my first souvenir--four radiology shots of my stomach in different states of swallowing. Dr. Kelly had me step on the scale before leaving the hospital. I have gained 3 pounds! WTF? He assured me it was all the IV fluids. Maybe so, but if a girl's gonna eat practically NOTHING for more than 2 weeks, she expects a respectable weight LOSS and certainly not a gain!
    From the hospital, we drove onto the hotel and checked in. Here we have relaxed the rest of the day. Mum ventured out and went shopping by herself. I skyped my kids and told them I'm having a lovely time at my business meeting. (I did not tell them I was having surgery because I didn't want them to worry). My husband gothome and I spoke with him too. I do miss them all.

Ana came by and brought my antibiotics, anti-nausea, and pain meds. I have not needed any pain medication since I left the hospital, and doubt that I ever will. I've had the hotel's broth--can manage about 1/4 of a bowl, then I'm full, and I've been sipping on water, adiluted apple juice and gatorade all day.
    In the evening, Dr. Kelly, Ana, and his little boy came by to visit. They brought a video DVD of my surgery--not for the squeamish at heart, but fascinating to me to see how he had to cut away all the fat and fibrous tissue that had grown around my lap band before he could even sleeve me. He truly is brilliant! And very personable. He explained my operation to me. I must say it was a little disconcetring to watch my own insides get cut and sizzled like that, but at least I know exactly what happened to me! The little boy is also very charming and played Angry Birds on my Kindle. Cute as a button! Ana is very sweet and vivacious. Mrs. Kelly--I only met on gthe first night, but she seems very nice as well.

I know this is a rather detailed account, but I found the detailed accounts of the others to be the most helpful to me. Would I recommend this experience to others? Absolutely! The pain was awful, but it will be worth it in the long run. It's sort of like having a baby--labor is horrendous but you get the most amazing reward at the end of it all. I can say that my labors lasted longer than the worst part of my pain with getting my sleeve, and there is very little afterpain with the sleeve, and if you've ever experienced childbirth you know those afterpains can even be as bad as the labor pains. So it's all good. Good night all, and thanks again, for your care, concern, encouragement, and prayers!

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    12-10-2015 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 191 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times

Sleeve31st...I had my procedure done at Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL. Where are you having your's done?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Rao
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times

In Jacksonville

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Debbie
    Surgery date
    06/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Worley
    Last Activity
    04-17-2013 12:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Most of the posts about this are very similar, however, I had to have a hiatal hernia repair also. I had no knowledge of what a hiatal hernia was, so was unprepared. No symptoms either?.? When I came to in recovery, I had my gown clutched at the center of my chest, crying it hurts. Of course, at my age, everyone thought heart. Well, it turns out the hernia repair entails a stitch in the diaphragm to secure the repair. It was just the stitch I was feeling. After we identified the problem, everything calmed down immensely. After the first night, pain wasn't an issue at all.
    I was cold the first week. And it was June in Houston!! This web site has helped me understand these oddities along our journey. Just try to get your water in. It's very important. Crystal Light is heaven sent! Good luck.

Surgery date
    07/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Rao
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times

Thank you, Ive tried to read some up on the hernia and found that I really do have symptoms from it. I heard from a colleague too that his wife had the hernia repair and she was in much more pain than he was after his surgery.

Surgery date
    04/15/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Smith
    Last Activity
    05-18-2021 01:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I went in early in the morning. Had my surgery before 9 am and was up walking by noon. A little sore but nothing too bad. I was discharged in the afternoon and went home with my wife. Took pain meds the first few days but didn’t need them afterwards. Do what the forum says and sip,sip and sip. Keep yourself hydrated. It’s the key to a quicker and healthier recovery. Everyone’s recovery is different but the anxiety is much worse than what it is actually like.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Simple. Had surgery, slept most of the day, walked a little, next morning had the swallow test, went home, napped, sipped, and walked a little more.

Gastric Sleeve Member MindySue76's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton Le
    Last Activity
    10-15-2019 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I had my surgery two weeks ago today.My dr had prescribed a pill called Emend and a transdermal scopamine patch for nausea. I picked them up at the pharmacy and took the pill at 6:30 a.m. and put the patch behind my ear at the same time. ( ask your Dr. about this if they haven't mentioned it and if you are prone to nausea after anesthesia) I checked in on Wednesday, they took me back and had me change into a gown and some ugly yellow socks with grippy things on the bottom. Then they started the IV. They gave me a blood thinner shot in my arm. They connected some liquid Tylenol, and an antibiotic to my IV. The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me and asked if I had any questions. They let my family come back to the pre-op room until it was time to go to surgery. Next thing I know I was being told the surgery was over and that I needed to take some deep breaths. I was asked if I was in pain and at the time the only thing that was bothering me was the gas in my chest. It was right under my sternum. I was given some ice chips when I said my mouth was dry and my throat was sore. My surgery was at 9:30 A.M. I looked up at the clock in the recovery room when I was able to focus and it was 10:40.
    Once I was a little more awake and they didn't keep having to remind me to breathe they let my husband come to see me for a few minutes.
    They were waiting for a room to open up. I stayed in recovery and slept most of the time until about 1:00 when a room was ready.
    I was transferred to my room ( still sleepy). My family came in and visited with me a little. The nurse came in and asked if I was in any pain, and again the gas was the only thing bothering me. They tilted the head of my bed up, I noticed I had compression things on my legs. They did a blood sugar finger stick. I am not diabetic, but it was 263. The nurse said they would check again in a couple of hours to see if it was going up or down. The nurse explained to me the little medicine cups that I would be drinking out of and that they would be counting them ( I fell asleep during this explanation lol). I got a blood thinner shot in my belly. Didn't even feel it.
    I slept on and off and tried to drink the few moments I was awake. They checked my blood sugar again and it had only gone down slightly to 230 so they gave me an insulin shot. Around 5 PM they had me get up and go to the bathroom and walk the halls for the first time. I wasn't in pain, but a little unsteady on my feet and still very sleepy. They got me up to walk every 2 hours after that until 2 AM.
    My Dr. came in Thursday morning and I hadn't been able to drink enough (64 oz) to be discharged that morning so he said I would be there another night.

Thursday I was much more alert. They took the compression things off my legs that morning. So it was easier for me to get up by myself without someone having to help me disconnect the hoses. I was able to drag my IV pole to the bathroom and get up and walk without any help. I was sore Thursday morning, the only time it really bothered me was when I moved to get out of bed. I concentrated on drinking 4-6 of the little cups every hour. Every time I walked around the floor, I stopped at the nurse's station and got a popsicle ( those counted for 4 cups). Those helped my sore throat and counted for fluids. I tried drinking some of the nasty protein broth they served because they also counted for liquids, but one or two cups was all I could stand. I had my husband help me with the IV pole and getting undressed and dressed so I could take a shower.
    I received another blood thinner shot in the belly and a protonix pill to prevent acid. Around 10 PM I decided to really work on the water so I wouldn't get behind when I went to sleep so I drank about 16 cups in an hour and ate a popsicle. I went to sleep at midnight, woke up about every 1.5-2 hours got up and walked and made sure I drank at least 4 cups before I went back to sleep.

Friday morning my Dr. came in and said I did great on the water and was impressed that I hadn't asked for any pain medication. looked at my incisions.
    Asked if I was ready to go home. The hospital pharmacy brought my prescriptions for protonix, Norco, and some Zofran for nausea.
    The nurse came and took my IV out ( hallelujah!). My husband helped me pack up everything. I put my pajamas on and he helped me tie my shoes lol.
    I took one Norco before we left because I live in Oklahoma and our roads are potholed like crazy from all of the recent flooding. Nurse asked if I wanted to be wheeled out or if I wanted to walk. I opted to walk.

The sunshine outside felt amazing!

It was not as bad as I had feared it would be. I'm 2 weeks out today and so far no regrets. Today is my last day on liquids.
    I came back to work at my office job on Monday ( 12 days post op). I probably would have been okay to come back after a week.

Good luck to you! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Good morning! Its normal to feel anxious -- mine was first surgery of the day, so early early early prep.
    The pre meds were a great help and if you are anxious, ask for something early on to help if you need it. The surgery was not bad, and I was back in the room about 2 hours later. I did have a bleed, so went back into surgery, and had 2 units of blood.

So, that was a surprise and its not common. That said, I was back in the room in another 2 hours, and only needed tyelenol, which was all I needed to go home. My surgeon (also at a center of excellence) routinely "deflates" you from the gas they use in the abdomen, so my gas pains were minimal.

I found except for lotion, I didn't need much of what I took to the hospital; I really didn't feel like using my phone much, since sleeping was so easy and so much fun.

Best of luck. And keep asking anything you want to know.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Surgery date
    05/17/2019
    Surgeon
    Daly/Nguyen (UCI)
    Last Activity
    07-06-2019 01:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi There -- I was sleeved on 5/17. I opted for the pre-op "belly" anesthesia, which is done through ultrasound to guide the needles into deep tissue. This helps with post-op pain, and I took narcotics only in the first 12 hours -- after that, I didn't need any pain meds at all. The shots were a little scary, but I am glad I did them.

I had two complications: the first were stomache spasms that were incredible painful. These did not require narcotics, they required muscle relaxers. Once we realized this, things got easier. I wish I'd known that this was a possibility, because I had hours in terrible pain with no relief because it took so long to figure this out. I went without pain meds and started walking a few hours earlier than expected to try and see if it was air/gas pain (it wasn't). It took so long to figure out that it precipitated a second night hospital stay.

The second complication was that I developed post-operative pneumonia, despite our efforts to prevent this. I have quite serious asthma, which makes me super susceptible to it. Between the pneumonia (cough, congestion) and the spasms, my recovery was pretty miserable. I'm still relatively weak from the illness.

All in all, I felt okay pretty quickly after surgery -- it was really the pneumonia that was tough. I did everything to the book and beyond to prevent this but I wish I'd advocated for more monitoring of this and prevention meds prior to surgery.

Good luck with your procedure!