12/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Interesting view of Anorexia/Bulimia vs WLS

[QUOTE=madona;73345]Eating has been such an arduous task that I just dont even bother sometimes. I am sick of that terrible feeling in my chest because i have not yet been able to train myself to eat slower. I am sick of the heartburn(even though i medicate for it) I am sick of the disgusting sliming i experience almost after every single meal. I swear more comes up then the volume of food that went in to begin with. I am sick of vomiting half of everything i consume, even if it was a measly 4 small bites of anything. (and i have become comfortable with it) I think I enjoy the relief of vomiting sooo much more than actually eating!

You have a new stomach, why won't you take the time to learn a slower eating habit? Might that be your problem? Or maybe eating too much in one sitting?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    07-28-2019 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

Madonna, I hope you are doing better these days! As this year goes by you will continue to have good days and bad days. As you are looseing weight quickly your body will at times give you desperate urges that are hard to describe to anyone not experiencing it. For me it was not hunger as only 3-4 bites made me too uncomfortably FULL. It was more like a strong frantic instinct of your body knowing it was starving and loosing too fast. What really helped me to keep that uncomfortable sensation under control was my nutritional supplements, protein supplement and concentration on keeping hydrated. Whenever i got dehydrated it always felt worse, everything in my life got harder! so hang in there and keep looking at the positive side of your weight loss and how awesome you are gonna feel this summer in summer clothes!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I am just moving out of pureed and into soft foods and am finding that it has been hard ever since transitioning off full liquids. It is more complicated now , dealing with new ways of eating, I am back at work - getting in the protein, getting in enough fluids. I am especially finding that the fluids, even if I get just a little bit behind on them, i feel like total crap. I know it gets easier but I think your advice is excellent. I am doing fine with food so far, only overate once, but getting that fluid in.... daily struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Madonna, I hope you are doing better these days! As this year goes by you will continue to have good days and bad days. As you are looseing weight quickly your body will at times give you desperate urges that are hard to describe to anyone not experiencing it. For me it was not hunger as only 3-4 bites made me too uncomfortably FULL. It was more like a strong frantic instinct of your body knowing it was starving and loosing too fast. What really helped me to keep that uncomfortable sensation under control was my nutritional supplements, protein supplement and concentration on keeping hydrated. Whenever i got dehydrated it always felt worse, everything in my life got harder! so hang in there and keep looking at the positive side of your weight loss and how awesome you are gonna feel this summer in summer clothes!
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member chantyl06's Avatar
    Name
    Chantyl
    Surgery date
    12/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Merriman
    Last Activity
    02-03-2013 11:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I can tell this is a hot topic but being a recovered anorexic (then diagnosed with illnesses causing weight gain) and now have been Sleeved, I halfway agree with her!!! My mother had WLS 8 years ago and her "diet" and attitude towards foods was definitely one of my biggest triggers and most frustrating things to witness!!!! I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here, so I would not respond to any comments about my view. Just my personal opinion being on both sides of this fence-- WLS diets are just as harsh if not worse at times!!
    Chantilly Lace

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-25-2013 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Ok ladies I'm back! It has been 1 year and 2 months since I was sleeved and I believe I owe everyone an update. I have lost over 100lbs, like 108 to be exact! Woooohooo! I am eating a lot more than I thought I ever would or could again. I still spit up some food if I over eat and I still get the slimiest but nothing like when I was first sleeved. I actually thought I would never enjoy cooking again but I am! I eat all day a bite of this and a bite of that whenever I want and of whatever I want. I stopped drinking the protein shakes like my 3rd month in, they were gross to me, I hated the sweetness of them no matter what flavor they were and just couldn't do it anymore. I have a lot of saggy skin under my arms(wings) and my once extremely plump boobs are empty deflated balloons that sag down to my belly button, lol! But I look amazing in clothes, ha! Would like to get a boob job, tummy tuck and I'm sure I can think of more ways to enhance and mutilate my body. Don't know if I will subject myself to any of the above because I'm just happy not being fat and that's that. I've realized that, well I've confirmed to myself that we live in a superficial world, where looks do matter. It's amazing how much attention I get now and how people men and women bow down to please me. Crazy huh!?! ok I know I've side tracked, back to eating and feelings, ladies don't fear, you will eat again and be satisfied, you will not melt into oblivion! As a matter of fact, I find myself conserved with gaining weight like others who have been sleeved. Why not? After all I'm eating a lot more. So I've decided to cut back and maybe eat a little healthier and I'm actually considering working out for the first time after surgery to see if I can tighten up this god awful skin. I want to lose 15-20 more lbs. I have definitely plateaued. I don't weigh myself 5 times a day anymore, more like 2 times a month now. I am loving the new body! I do have a confession though, I do force myself to vomit maybe 2-4 times a month if I've over indulged. Yep the secrets out the bag. I think that's how all those skinny bitches out there stay thin. I don't do it to become thin though, I do it because I know I ate way more than my body needed and I'm feeling uncomfortable. Does that make sense? I'm not recommending this to anyone nor am I proud of it. It's just something I find myself doing that gives me relief and I'm being honest. So in conclusion, don't worry, your gonna lose weight, you are going to be able to eat again and love food in satisfying moderation. This will be the best gift you gift yourself w a year after surgery. It has been hard but it gets easier everyday. Hang in there, don't despair! Thank you all for your lively thoughts and feedback, best wishes this New Year 2013!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben-Meir
    Last Activity
    10-23-2013 08:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I can see how someone would think that about WLS. Portions are HUGE these days....so eating actual serving sizes can appear "anorexic". To me anorexics are afraid to eat anything for fear of weight gain. WLS patients are afraid to eat the wrong things for fear of weight gain......though I could see the appeal of anorexic behavior after surgery because let's face it.....starving yourself has never been so easy, and I'm sure people who had these mental troubles before surgery are going to have them after without treatment

Name
    BB
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ayloo
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 01:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 154 Times in 152 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 167 Times
    Blog Entries

I would have answered to this girl in this way

the difference between anorexic and WLS pateint is not the calories or food intake. It is in the mind. the reason we are eating little amount of food is becuase we do not have space for more. We are not anorexic we are in a medically control starvation mode. And thanks to supplement and protein regimen we are healthy inside out.
    Now said that, we have something in common with anorexic and its an unhealthy relationship with food and with our immage. But being a wLS patient is taking care of both. we were having this problems and deciding to get to WLS was our first step to fight out food realtionship.
    That is my point of view. However sometime I feel like obsessed with gaining weight and I hope It will note get out of control.
    Love to all

288 - Highest weight on March 2012
    268 - Weigh before starting pre-op diet on May 14 2012. 20lb loss
    258 - Weight on surgery on May 29 2012. 10lb loss from pre op
    224 - 2 months post op (July 30 2012).
    178 - 7.5 m out. total loss 110, post op 72lb

Gastric Sleeve Member sandyfromoz's Avatar
    Name
    sandyfromoz
    Surgery date
    02/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity
    01-18-2020 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6,066 Times
    Was Thanked 663 Times in 363 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 468 Times

@Madona...................I love you girl.............That is all
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    07-28-2019 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

Madonna, So happy for the update! What size are you now? Don't forget the extra skin probably weighs 10-20 lbs! I am still hanging in here at size 4! Like you i puke if i eat too much, otherwise i am too uncomfortable for hours! But i will never take for granted how awesome it is to be thin! love Rainbow

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeve-me's Avatar
    Name
    Bette
    Surgery date
    09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

this is a great topic - thank you ladies for posting. for those worried about over eating i find that by just taking a few days (even a day )of eating less that my stomach sort of shrinks back to a smaller size. not so much that i get that sick feeling but so that fewer bites get you full. not sure if that makes sense. i do think its key to eat thru out the day small portions. at this point almost a year and half out i can eat anything i want but with moderation that the stomach produces naturally. the one thing i think that can be tricky though is ice cream. i do not keep it in the house.

Name
    Linny
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times
    Blog Entries

I think when you reach goal and want to stop losing (ahhh....can't wait for that day), you just need to adjust your calorie intake until you can maintain the weight you want.

Name
    Linny
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh, I was going to add that I know a 5 year sleeve guy whose wife was complaining he had gotten "too skinny". He gained back 10 pounds over a month or two by upping his calories and just not being quite so strict. Maybe a few bites of ice cream too