Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-13-2013 05:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Discussion of Gastric Sleeve Plication

Hi everyone, I am scheduled for gastric plication surgery on July 12th, 2013 with Dr. Almanza in Tijuana. I have to admit I have been having second guesses about whether I should go with the gastric plication surgery or the gastric sleeve. I am worried about Gherlin and whether or not with the plication surgery if I will be feeling hungry all the time. I like the idea of gastric plication as it is potentially reversible and a part of your stomach is not actually removed. Feeling very undecided at the moment! Has anyone else had the plication surgery and can offer me some of their own experiences with hunger?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kait
    Surgery date
    07/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-13-2013 05:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Leesoim, I was just wondering if you could share with me more about your gastric plication. Did you loose weight at a fairly steady pace? And even though you still experience hunger, are you much more easily satisfied? Thanks! I am having a hard time deciding between plication or a sleeve!

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

Kait. I think the plication is an "okay" surgery. There is a website called "sleeveplicationtalk.com". Please go talk to the other folks there who had the same surgery as you. Also, please read the threads already on the forum and see how well people have done. I have seen "some" success stories with it, but not that many. It looks like half of the people do good with it and half do not. Let's be honest, the weight loss doesn't look as good as with the sleeve. There are some stats out there they lose less weight and keep off less weight. It is also considered experimental by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. The sleeve has more weight loss stats that show good weight loss, it is considered an established surgery by the ASMBS, and it has lots of research. The plication doesn't have enough research behind it to consider it a successful surgery in the long term. I beg you to strongly consider the sleeve instead of the plication. Removal of part of your stomach is not really that drastic. You're not going to "miss" it. You can still get scoped for cancers and ulcers, you can get chemotherapy if you ever develop cancer (I sincerely hope not), and you can get pretty much any medical treatment you need. If you do choose the plication over the sleeve, I wish you the very best. Regardless of which surgery we choose, I want you to be healthy and happy! This is not a surgery war. I just want you to be informed. Please do your research thoroughly.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

What insurance can we buy if problem in mexico? either sleeve or plication???

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

two sets of stitches so must follow diet very carefully

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

What worries me most if complications and costs associated with that. what do we do in that case???? If it turns out to be serious the doctors in mexico should at least refund money. what insurance can we get. I have read a lot of negative posts and sure worry about sleeve or plication..

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by girlfromovertheborder View Post
    What worries me most if complications and costs associated with that. what do we do in that case???? If it turns out to be serious the doctors in mexico should at least refund money. what insurance can we get. I have read a lot of negative posts and sure worry about sleeve or plication..
    That's a risk that people who go to Mexico for WLS have to deal with. Yes, if there are complications right after surgery and you're still in the Mexican hospital, the doctors will take care of it. The issue is complications that happen when you're still back home...you will be responsible for those costs if you have to go to your local ER and end up hospitalized.

The complication issue is really the main reason why I wouldn't go to another country to get the sleeve and pay out of pocket because that worries me so much. But there are ways about it. There are some insurances you can buy that will help over complications. You'll have to look around.

Gastric Sleeve Member reinventme's Avatar
    Name
    Alexis
    Surgery date
    06/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    09-09-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I did not consider their comments rude or offensive. I considered it a discussion of comparison. Everyone can have their own opinion and agree to disagree. There is a part of the stomach that is removed that indeed does produce a hunger hormone. I am sure that affects people to varying degrees as we are not all the same. I read about plication on dr ortiz site and wanted to see what people said that had it. The stomach is folded in on itself twice and sutured together with non disolvable stitches. My concern was that I may not be able to control myself as well with the gland still intact. Also, i had an umbilical hernia repair as a baby and the internal stitches worked their way out when i was about 5. They were supposed to use disolvable stitches but had not when i was a baby. I need to see more long term info on it . I hope to see more comments on it from plication patients...just keep the extreme emotion out of it. You can go back and edit it out.

Gastric Sleeve Member reinventme's Avatar
    Name
    Alexis
    Surgery date
    06/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    09-09-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

If there were complications in the us i would still be responsible because my insurance doesnt cover them