Surgeon
    Dr. Ali
    Last Activity
    03-21-2013 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Random things about hospital/surgery

Just a couple of things that you may or may not know before your surgery.

The stomach shots for blood thinners don't really hurt. Well 2 of the 3 times they didn't hurt. I didn't even feel it.

I didn't have any one go with me (I just didn't want to deal with being nice if I didn't feel like it afterwards) The doctor called my mom after the surgery and told her how I was and how it went. She was impressed it was the doctor, not a nurse. My daughter came home this morning, and I now feel all is well

I had a totally different experience than my roommate did. We went through the same Doctor's group, but I was in very little pain compared to her.

I don't remember the recovery room at all, I know I was bellyaching and crying on the way to my room about how much it hurt. The nurse just patted my head and said he'd get me hooked up to the pain machine shortly. I pressed that button every chance I could whether I hurt or not. I didn't want to hurt the first day and I didn't. I didn't need to take the liquid pain reliever the next day as much, but I still took it when they brought it to me. I miss sleeping on my side, and snore like a dude sleeping on my back!

You can ask your hospital for a second compression binder - then you can launder one and wear one. It makes a HUGE difference forgetting up and down.
    The nurse also got me a huge stack of the one ounce cups for me to bring home.
    They also let me take a pillow home with me to keep over my stomach (my friend was not great about managing speed bumps.)

I didn't walk as much as some of the other posters here, but I did walk as I was clearheaded enough. Pretty much anytime I got up to use the restroom I walked at the same time, even at 3:00 at night.

I'm three days out, and still haven't felt very nauseous. I do feel gas bubbles, but they come and go quickly. I haven't felt the stabbing arms one that other people here have talked about - I feel them the same place I feel the food go down. So for me, I have to be perfectly upright to swallow, or to relieve the burps. (But it's not even the fun jr.high kind of burps, they are just you know..little burps )

I have four incision sites, only one hurts, they stitched from the inside and closed with glue. They are a little gross, but really so much better than I was expecting.

it took me 40 minutes to drink the first ounce of water. But once that was done, it was much easier.

If you're in the States, and you have difficulties, remember it's your right to request a particular nurse, CNA or lab person removed from your case. I came close with the night guy who jabbed for blood. If I had stayed one more night I would have because he also didn't wear gloves.

I felt good the second day, I feel better today, and it's looking ok.

Alright, and my other secret weapon, was I had a hyperbaric oxygen treatment before my surgery.
    My blood was completely oxygenated, I was able to do that blow thingee immediately at the best level and highest levels. Your surgeon won't write orders for it, and your insurance won't cover it - but if you can find an HBOT center that treats off label, you may recover quicker if you can have a treatment before and after. It really affected my ears, so I'm not sure I'm going to have more, but I may go in for just plain ol' oxygen.
    Here's an article if you're interested Surgery - Pre and Post Surgery
    Highest weight 379
    Date of Surgery 349

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    BB
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ayloo
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 01:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 154 Times in 152 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 167 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Random things about hospital/surgery

I am glad you are doing well. I wish you a supe speedy recovery. It really get better every day

288 - Highest weight on March 2012
    268 - Weigh before starting pre-op diet on May 14 2012. 20lb loss
    258 - Weight on surgery on May 29 2012. 10lb loss from pre op
    224 - 2 months post op (July 30 2012).
    178 - 7.5 m out. total loss 110, post op 72lb

Name
    David
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fedorka
    Last Activity
    07-17-2017 11:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

That was pretty much my experience too except I did walk quite a bit. The bed was so uncomfortable, walking really helped. I also got an extra cut because of my height. They had to clamp my spleen, but couldn't reach it through the cut they would normally go through, so they had to make another cut closer to the spleen. I didn't use the morphine much, but I did take the liquid oxy a few times. I didn't like how out of it the morphine made me feel.

I was able to sleep on my left side last night, but not on my right.

My first protein shake this morning was rough to get through, but the second one is going well.

Weight on day of surgery: 318.4 lbs

Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    08/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Travedi
    Last Activity
    12-31-2013 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing your experience. The helpful hints I am sure will be beneficial.

Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 06:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

I am glad you both are doing well!!! I wish you a speedy recovery and the best of what lies ahead!!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bookwrmmom's Avatar
    Name
    Chrissy
    Surgery date
    06/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Enochs
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 432 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear you are doing so well. All the burps, gas, swallowing, etc. gets better every day. At 11 days I am feeling pretty good, and ready to go back to work soon, I hope!