02/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jawad and Dr. Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    03-06-2014 05:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Question for everybody who's had a stent after gastric sleeve or who's had bypass after gastric sleeve

I'll make the story short for those who don't know. I was sleeved on feb16 and I have been having complications with a leak and two abscess I had.
    So right now I have two surgeons working on my case. They have decided to let the leak healed on it's own for a period of six week. But there is only a 50 50 chance it can healed on it's own. So here is the problem one surgeon believes in the stent and the other one doesn't and says he will do the bypass instead.
    Both surgeons are great with different ideas.

I need to know your experience with which ever situation you've been in (stent or bypass after sleeved) and the outcome, And how u feel now. Andfor those who have been bypassed are you happy with the outcome? Any complications?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/06/2011
    Surgeon
    Marema
    Last Activity
    08-22-2011 10:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Question for everybody who's had a stent after gastric sleeve or who's had bypass after gastric sleeve

Who was your doctor that you went to for the surgery. Also was this a revision from the band?

4. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Question for everybody who's had a stent after gastric sleeve or who's had bypass after gastric sleeve

Bypass just because of a leak and abscess? I'm not a surgeon, but to me, it seems odd that this surgeon would come to that conclusion.

A bypass after sleeve is usually only if weight loss isnt significant enough after many months, and not quite a common type of revision, not many people in the population of who is sleeved will require that later. I would continue to ask around, as you are doing.

Name
    sam
    Surgery date
    02/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jawad and Dr. Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    03-06-2014 05:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Ok so the surgeon who did my surgery was dr Jawad in Ocala fl. And the surgeon who is now also on my case is doctor. Rosenthal from Weston fl. The reason why I have another surgeon is because my family and I wanted a second opinion on my case for lots of reasons that are so long to write.
    And just so you guys know I had a clip put on my leak and a drain put by my liver because I had an abscess. I was in a very critical condition and in the icu and hospital for 3 weeks. 4 days later I go back

with triple the size abscess, a dangerous bacteria,
    and the clip fell off so I still had a leak and pneumonia. So a second surgeon came on board.
    Dr. Jawad thinks a stent can solve the issue and dr. Rosenthal thinks a stent can cause more problems

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Eric
    Surgery date
    05/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Domkowski
    Last Activity
    02-15-2013 03:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

sam20, sorry to hear of your complications. Do you know how many leaks Jawad has had? Does he know why it leaked? How has he fixed other leaks? What were the outcomes? Has he ever been sued? Same questions to Rosenthal. I would get answers to all these questions before I decided and I would be apprehensive about letting him back in there. You have a right to all this information before you make a decision and if they are offended, well, this might be an indicator to be considered.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

But how does he think a bypass will fix any of those issues? That's an unrelated procedure.. besides, you only have 50 lbs to lose towards your goal, right? (as per your ticker)