Surgeon
    Dr. Denis Halmi
    Last Activity
    09-09-2013 05:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default It isn't the Same!

Every morning pre-sleeve, I would wake up and be the only one stirring about, sit in my kitchen with my dog and my computer, check on emails and surf the web and drink my coffee. Gatorade is not the same thing is all I am sayin'!!! Decaf wont cut it so don't even go there!! I will wait until I am cleared and hope to once again enjoy my cup of Joe albeit a smaller cup and a slower drinking experience. Thanks for letting me vent!

No excuses. You CAN do this!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. N. Patel
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: It isn't the Same!

I felt the same exact way, love my coffee time in the morning. I had my first cup about 10 days post-op. And your right, I don't drink as much each morning as I used to pre-sleeve and it comes naturally just to sip. Even on morning when I think I want more so make a larger pot, I end up only drinking 2 cups because of natural habit I have developed of only sipping. Best wishes on your recovery and journey!

Name
    Tabby
    Surgery date
    11/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 07:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

You will be able to enjoy your coffee again I too am a die-hard cup o joe fan. It's part of the ONLY part of the day that I get to myself. At first, after my sleeve, I didn't care about the loss of food as much as I did my coffee....so, my doc said no coffee, but that's just not working for me. I enjoy my two cups also and don't think I'll ever change that. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Gastric Sleeve Member Rescued-one's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    10/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    01-13-2013 08:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I enjoy coffee now like before my sleeve...although now I don't enjoy it black...I need sweetener and creamer which was never the way I drank it before. It feels a bit more easier on my tummy and the ride down....

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Gastric Sleeve Member incredibleshrnkngshirly's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,398 Times

I hear ya Steve, I love my coffee...was hard to do without it pre sleeve, but I am almost a year out and I enjoy two cups each morning....spaced apart within a couple hours.....my doc said he didn't care if I had a couple cups, just don't overdo on the caffeine.....actually, I noticed I like the darker coffees now than before! Good luck on your journey...speedy healing for you!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Guess what? Pre-sleeve, I couldn't start my day without 2 cups of coffee. Without it, I was just plain evil and would get what my kids call, "CMS": Cranky Mommy Syndrome. Well, after the sleeve, I can now take or leave coffee. It just doesn't do it for me anymore. Maybe you'll be the same one day,

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 174 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 129 Times

My hubby, who was sleeved just a couple days before you, is having a really hard time with this as well. You can have copy three weeks post-op. I LOVE copy, and it's a ritual for me as well, and I still have my cup, sometimes two, in the mornings, as before. I started back with it about a month post-op. I am also going to admit that I drink it with those horrible for you creamers; it's my only vice. I use 1 T. in one cup, and if I have another I drink it with milk and Equal.

Gastric Sleeve Member CuirousGeorge's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    09-23-2013 03:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Steve. So we had surgery on the same day and like you I agree that Gatorade does NOT substitute for coffee. I was a pot to a pot and 1/2 a day coffee addict! There is something soothing about easing into the day with that nice hot, creamy, slightly sweet elixir of the morning. Myself, I didn't wait. I had a "why bother" from Starbucks last Sunday. A "why bother" is a tall SKINNY, decaf vanilla latte. I understand that the word Decaf is taboo for you, but it worked for me. It gave me the flavor that I wanted and the soothing I sought. I did NOT get it finished, in fact only had about 1/2 the tall but it satisfied my desire. I haven't been craving coffee since. Just an idea.

Gastric Sleeve Member SorentoSteve's Avatar
    Name
    Steven
    Surgery date
    06/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Denis Halmi
    Last Activity
    09-09-2013 05:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CuirousGeorge View Post
    Hey Steve. So we had surgery on the same day and like you I agree that Gatorade does NOT substitute for coffee. I was a pot to a pot and 1/2 a day coffee addict! There is something soothing about easing into the day with that nice hot, creamy, slightly sweet elixir of the morning. Myself, I didn't wait. I had a "why bother" from Starbucks last Sunday. A "why bother" is a tall SKINNY, decaf vanilla latte. I understand that the word Decaf is taboo for you, but it worked for me. It gave me the flavor that I wanted and the soothing I sought. I did NOT get it finished, in fact only had about 1/2 the tall but it satisfied my desire. I haven't been craving coffee since. Just an idea.
    I will wait for the real thing. So far nothing I liked before is not appealing to me I don't think. I am just not hungry that much so I am not missing too much of anything since I want nothing.

No excuses. You CAN do this!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-13-2014 03:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times

I tried a cup of coffee a little while back and my tastes had changed....it tasted like crap. But I got over that (TG!) and I enjoy a 12 ounce cup every morning....I am 11 weeks out today. It's the only caffeine I put in my body, so I don't feel bad about it.

Gastric Sleeve Member jenssensmom's Avatar
    Name
    Wendy Jasper-Martinez
    Surgery date
    04/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-17-2015 05:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times

I was the same way, only I am not a coffee drinker. I had to have a Dr. Pepper in the morning for my caffiene fix. I would drink one can every morning on my way to work. Now, I have modified that somewhat...I get to work, go to the cafeteria, and get a fountain drink. I use a lot of ice, mix 1/2 regular Dr. Pepper and 1/2 Diet Dr. Pepper. The ice dilutes the drink and cuts the carbonation, and I still get my caffeine. I consulted with my doctor before I did this and his response (before folks go crazy about not drinking soda ) was that an occassional, flat soda, won't kill you or stretch your sleeve. It's a good solution for me.

Don't worry, you will be able to work out having your coffee again soon. You are not but a few days out if I am reading your surgery date correctly and it will be a few more weeks before you can handle the coffee, but you will not have to lose that favorite part of your morning! Good Luck!