Surgeon
    Dr. Schmidt
    Last Activity
    07-30-2012 01:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Discouraged :(

I've been going off of this packet the hospital sent me home with. I go to my post op meeting on Thursday and realized I've started a step a week before I was supposed to and I almost had a panic attack. I've only lost 12 pounds and it's been almost 2 weeks since my surgery. I don't notice it. I'm still super swollen and sore and it's hard for me to get down even just 6 oz of something to drink. On top of it, I can't swallow my vitamins and I'm hungry all the time.

I just don't know what to do.
    I'm really discouraged right now.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    01-19-2013 12:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Default Re: Discouraged :(

You are losing almost a pound a day- that is fantastic!
    It's easier said than done, but don't get so caught up in the scale that you lose sight of the other changes in your body (losing inches, gaining muscle). You are still healing, focus your attention on what you need to do to heal. We all want to lose the weight over night, but reality is, it doesn't happen like that.

Seems like getting in your liquids is a priority. Perhaps for vitamins you can take a chewable or gummy for now?

Hang in there!
    Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
    ~Bill Cosby

Myfitnesspal ID: oohmercyme

Gastric Sleeve Member Breanna Caroline's Avatar
    Name
    Breanna Caroline
    Surgery date
    05/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schmidt
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

It's just hard hearing that this one lost 25 pounds in a week or this one lost 15, you know? It just confuses me because I've just been doing what I can, given my little mistake. I'm going to call my surgeon tomorrow and ask what I can do about the vitamins. I just took one and it made me feel nauseous for hours! Ick!

Surgery date
    05/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    01-19-2013 12:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Ya- I can appreciate how frustrating it is. I've made the conscious choice not to buy a scale and my first post-op weigh in will be Thursday at my follow-up and then I will only weigh myself weekly otherwise I will be obsessed with the numbers rather than appreciating that in two weeks I am almost ready for a smaller size and can see muscle definition in my legs.

Of course- I really hope I am one of those ones posting big losses, but at the same time I can see and feel the changes in my body and I'm working this the best way I can.

Talk to your doctor about the vitamins (even pre-op I would throw up if I took a vitamin with little or no food) and drink up! You are doing great
    Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
    ~Bill Cosby

Myfitnesspal ID: oohmercyme

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Rebecca50's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Curry
    Last Activity
    01-16-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 597 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone loses at a different rate Breanna and honestly you are doing fine. YOu will be swelled for about 6 weeks so don't push yourself. Stay on your liquids and incorporate some soups such as tomato, creamy soups, yougurt, SF jello adnice pops. Watch the amount though, you should only be able to take in about 1/4 cup at a time.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

That's about what I lost in that time period. Try to relax-just because someone else loses 30 lbs. a month doesn't mean you can...or should. Losing slowly helps preserves the skin.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/24/2012
    Surgeon
    mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    06-30-2013 03:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi Caroline,

I will be thrilled to have lost nearly a stone in a fortnight. That would mean by august I would have lost 4 stones and be 2/3 to my target weight.

You do need to drink though ... have you taken your stomach protectors ok? any fluid will do ... try your favorites pre opp.

and call your surgeon.

good luck!

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Breanna - first.... breathe deep, let it out slowly...
    A pound a day is a mini-miracle! Would you have done that before and really been able to feel it's never coming back?

Ok, now, let your body talk to you and you listen. Go by your booklet but don't freak if you end up a bit ahead or behind.
    Even if you are eating slightly different foods, you are still going to get about the same nutrition right now.
    Aim for protein, of course.
    Try chewable vitamins. I'm using vitafusion multivites, they are gummies. You could chew it up to liquid and then swallow. Break them up if you have to and take the 2 you need at 1/2 gummy 4 times a day. At 9 mo out I still can't take reg vitamins, it's not size it's composition. They make me nauseous still. There is an excellent sublingual b vitamin complex made by Spring Valley, it goes under your tongue. But you know, vitamins are important but if you can only get them down a few days a week right now, don't worry. It will get easier later. Just do the best you can.
    Are you taking an acid reducer? Many of us have found that "hungry" feeling is actually acid churning around in there.
    If you drink tea, try some warm peppermint tea, it seems to go down easier than other liquids and may help you get liquids in.
    Keep a thermal cup of something warm (not hot) by the bed. Drink sips whenever you wake up. At this point you need to drink whenever you can.
    You are doing fine, the first few weeks are just plain hard, physically and mentally. Just remember nothing comes free and I promise this price you are paying will be worth it in a few months when you are so happy out buying new clothes!
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Name
    Breanna Caroline
    Surgery date
    05/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schmidt
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I'll remember to check on those gummy vitamins. And I'm not a tea person. It usually makes me sick. I'll ask my doctor about the acid reducer because I remember that while I was in the hospital they pumped me with a lot of acid reflux meds. I'm just trying not to get too down about this whole situation. I was so psyched for surgery and ready to go but now that I've had it, I'm just really hating everything.

Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Joaquin Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    10-20-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 151 Times in 141 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

The more a person has to lose the faster it comes off in the beginning, so dont judge how you are losing with someone else. It varies from person to person. As far as vitamins go, go to celebratevitamins.com they have chewable vitamins, calcium, B-12, etc that you may find easier to take. I have calcium that is strawberry creme. They even have chocolate flavored ones!

Remember, your body has gone thru an big shock and it takes time for it to heal. Drink fluids as much as you can. You will do fine!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Name
    Breanna Caroline
    Surgery date
    05/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schmidt
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I will definitely look up that website. I think I need a flavored vitamin or something. Thanks!