11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Manuel Castro
    Last Activity
    09-12-2013 04:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 6 Months Out and Curious about Protein and Calorie Intakes???

I have been losing at a good rate but have definitely slowed down. I have lost 110 lbs. since I started my process about a year ago and lost 94 lbs. since my surgery. I wanted to know how much protein and calories most people at this point are taking in. I am a bit unsure and wanted some others input. I exercise between 4-6 times a week so I know I am good on that end but want to make sure that I do not get into LONG stalls. My stalls have been about 4-5 days without a pound but then the next day 1-2 lbs. down so I am really confused. Please advise anyone who can give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Default Re: 6 Months Out and Curious about Protein and Calorie Intakes???

Honestly, I think a stall is much longer than just 4 or 5 days. I think people can safely say they're in a true stall after 2 weeks with no change, and even then I think it's a bit soon. That's just my humble opinion on stalls, though. If you're still losing every 4-5 days, that's still a loss every week (or every 7 days), so good for you!

I think after the bulk of the initial healingis done and you're back on regular foods, it's really up to you to be in touch with your body and how you feel when eating certain things. I recently made an appointment with a new nutritionist to address my diet, exercise and supplement intake. Perhaps having a professional's insight into you will give you fresh ideas for keeping your weight loss going.

On average I still eat about 900 calories a day, 60-80g protein a day (and that's not even because I count protein anymore, it's just from the food I tend to want to eat), and 64-80 ounces of fluid a day. I exercise 4-5 times a week and take supplemtns (multivitamin, B12, D3, calcium and fiber). I'm finding that I am becoming less and less concerned with calories as time goes by however, and focus more on making sure I am making healthy food choices (lean protein, low starch veggies, complex carbs). I eat until I feel satisfied, not bursting, and it just happens to average out to be around 900 calories a day at this point in time.
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

Surgery date
    03/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Castillo
    Last Activity
    04-30-2013 02:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

The recommended amount of protein is not set in stone. It depends on your gender and your height. I'm a 5'1" female and it is recomended that I take between 21.5 and 38.2 gr of protein daily. If I work endurance training, then I have to increase that number by a little bit but not too much. Eating more protein than that won't hurt me but it won't help me either since the excess is just going to get converted into energy and burned by my body.

You can see here what the requirements are for you: Daily Protein Requirements and Protein Intake

Oh and don't worry about it, 4 days is not a stall!

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

I eat about 900 calories a day and I get about 100 gms of protein a day.
    Protein needs will vary by gender, height, weight and activity level. I was told 70 gms minimum as we don't digest like we used to and need more as a cushion against this. I have paid strict attention and feel best when I have at least 90 gms a day. However, I am a meat eater. A caveman type if you will. I am glucose intolerant and just plain don't do well on carb based foods. Therefore by default, I end up eating a lot of protein to simply eat enough period.
    I'd say you are doing just fine. As long as you are losing some each month at a regular rate, it's not really a stall, though I know it's frustrating, your body is just moving fat around where it can get at it.
    Don't forget to measure!
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.