Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-05-2014 05:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 546 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Default Depression leads to over-eating

'I ate 20,000 calories a day, had a 6ft waist... and last left my house on 9/11': Horrifying life of the blonde-haired little boy who grew into the world's fattest man

Keith Martin consumed up to 20,000 calories and would eat mounds of bread and take-aways

He is now desperate to lose weight and is only consuming 1,500 calories a day

Read more: Keith Martin: Horrifying life of world's fattest man | Mail Online

Keith Martin: Horrifying life of world's fattest man | Mail Online

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Depression leads to over-eating

His story is heartbreaking...I pray he gets the help he needs to get healthy.

Name
    Santy
    Surgeon
    John Baxter
    Last Activity
    06-14-2017 01:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 129 Times
    Blog Entries

I read this article Tim and was so sad for this guy. Really i believe the whole family needs support and not the outrage that has been vilified against them. I do hope they manage to help him.

Gastric Sleeve Member HoneyAllen's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Honey Allen
    Last Activity
    08-13-2013 12:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Depression and overeating are more related than you may think. There are some people who might be depressed because of a chemical imbalance. But that is probably not the norm. You may be depressed because you are not dealing with your emotions correctly. You are stuffing your emotions down with food.

Gastric Sleeve Member incredibleshrnkngshirly's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,398 Times

I was just feeling sorry for myself just now until I saw this..... My husband and I are at his parents house doing some odd jobs for them. They are elderly and personally I think they are losing their marbles. Last night my mother in law said to my father in law "hey your toe is real red!" we'll, since my own mom has neuropathy in both feet and legs, I am used to watching out for old feet! So I get up and walk over to look at his toe....he says to me "are you a doctor?" I said "no, just used to looking at old feet," made me sort of angry but not bad...until....out of this jack asses mouth comes this statement..."she looks like our nurse we go too each week....she's a big OL gal!" my husband looked at me in horror...I looked at my father in law in shock...my mother in law laughed...I then said "wonder what he thought of me before I lost 81 pounds?". I looked at my husband and he looked like he wished the floor would swallow him.

I know theses folks are old, they say what they want to not caring about the consequences, but we are up here on our nickel trying to help them! Geez folks....why can't people just keep their mouth shut....I'm 5'7" and weigh 196......down from 275.......talk about depressed now....I could eat a whole frickin chocolate cake....gotta go now...starting to sob!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by incredibleshrnkngshirly View Post
    I was just feeling sorry for myself just now until I saw this..... My husband and I are at his parents house doing some odd jobs for them. They are elderly and personally I think they are losing their marbles. Last night my mother in law said to my father in law "hey your toe is real red!" we'll, since my own mom has neuropathy in both feet and legs, I am used to watching out for old feet! So I get up and walk over to look at his toe....he says to me "are you a doctor?" I said "no, just used to looking at old feet," made me sort of angry but not bad...until....out of this jack asses mouth comes this statement..."she looks like our nurse we go too each week....she's a big OL gal!" my husband looked at me in horror...I looked at my father in law in shock...my mother in law laughed...I then said "wonder what he thought of me before I lost 81 pounds?". I looked at my husband and he looked like he wished the floor would swallow him.

I know theses folks are old, they say what they want to not caring about the consequences, but we are up here on our nickel trying to help them! Geez folks....why can't people just keep their mouth shut....I'm 5'7" and weigh 196......down from 275.......talk about depressed now....I could eat a whole frickin chocolate cake....gotta go now...starting to sob!
    Can I just crawl through the computer and give you a hug right now? Elderly or not, their rudeness shouldn't be tolerated. It would be disrespectful for you to talk to them that way, you should be respected in return. I would have said, "You know, that was a very hurtful comment you just made. I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, I'm also sorry that I will no longer be able to come and assist you. Instead, I need to stay home and take care of my big ol' self."

Maybe it's because I'm at that age, or everything that I've gone through in the last year, but I'm done putting up with people's crap. I have no use for mean, inconsiderate people in my life. Life's to short to be anything but happy, and if they don't make you happy, well then, they are on their own. In-laws or not, I wouldn't go back, and it seems like your hubby would understand if you didn't. (((HUGS)))
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Malley
    Last Activity
    03-19-2021 08:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 158 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,246 Times

Shirley, I am sending you cyber hugs! Bless your heart... I know just how you feel. My late father-in law said after I had known him about a year, "My! You've put on WEIGHT!" and I said, "Yes, unfortunatelly I battle it every day." He retorted "Looks like IT'S WINNING"! (At the time, I was probably 30# overweight and now I am 90.) Those things are SO HURTFUL, but you know what??? If you eat that cake, the hateful jackass wins! You keep on doing what you have been doing, and someday you will be even more beautiful than you are now, and you know who will get the last laugh?!?! YOU WILL!! Please, please stay on your program and win. You have come so far!
    I agree with Peggy that maybe you should tell him it was a hurtful comment, but if you don't go see them anymore your poor husband will be the one stuck in the middle, and it sounds like he is supportive of you, and was embarassed by what was said. This is just an old man that needs your help and obviously is becoming senile. You look fantastic! Hang in there! Rise above it, and come out the winner of the weight game. It sounds like you are already a winner at the compassion game. {{{HUGS, Shirley!!}}}

Highest Weight 2001 - 282 lbs
    Lowest Weight 2002-2005 - 182 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 266 lbs
    Officially Overweight with BMI of 29.7 on 5/4/13
    "Onderland" - July 20 - 198#

Name
    Lee Ann
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr James Davidson
    Last Activity
    10-23-2016 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by incredibleshrnkngshirly View Post

You know what you are a beautiful person and I'm so glad you lost all that weight. Older people for some reason just think they can say what they want. I sure hope I'm not one of those at some point. You are Better then me I would have said you hurt my feelings. The greatest thing is when you get it all off you get to make that great comment when they say look at you. You can then say rember that time you said this to me. Then they have to think about it when you feel great.
    “It’s not the mistakes in life that are important; it’s what we learn from them.” ~Donna Guthrie

Preop 17 pounds lost
    The rest is all surgery baby :-)
    My sleeve is my new best friend

Gastric Sleeve Member Enfury8me's Avatar
    Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    12-08-2015 05:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

You know my dad used to tell me all the time that I was getting fat. No he didn't say "looks like your gaining weight", he would use the word "FAT" Talk about feeling bad. I felt like crying every time he said that but then again he was my father. He also used to tell me when I wore shorts "I've seen better legs on a piano bench" I hated going to visit him for that very reason. He passed away 3 days before Thanksgiving last year so I no longer have to hear him telling me that but i still miss him more than anything even though he was rude to me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Blessed to have had my Sleeve and now the Journey Ensues:
    Highest Weight 2012 - 272 lbs
    Lowest Weight 1999 - 150 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 272 lbs
    Date of surgery - 272 lbs (10/23/12)

Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times

Thank you all so much, my husband apologized to me again today, I burst out crying....told him that it looked like no matter how much wright I lost, I would never measure up in their yes. My mom told me today "Shirley, you are not losing your weight for them, you are losing it for yourself!" I know she is right, my sister in law is a very pretty woman...50 years old...I'm 54... She had the by pass....I just wonder if I would have done better to have that surgery instead,,,,she lost all of her weight super fast...mine is coming off very slowly now.....thank you all for your love, hugs and advice! I appreciate all of you .....

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Shirley, really so sorry to hear about your parents-in-law. Sounds like your husband has been lovely and understanding though, rather than trying to defend them, so that's great (he's the one that really counts!).

Also, I know that losing weight fast seems great, but in terms of our skin tone, and complications, and keeping the weight off, slowly is great! You know all the reasons the sleeve is preferable - no dumping, no re-routing of the digestive tract, we can eat whatever we want, just in small amounts.

And finally can I say, your photo is lovely - your smile and your eyes exude genuine warmth. By all means, lose whatever further weight you want for your own wellbeing, but not in order to achieve some ideal or to measure up against your sister in law.

I have a sister who my whole life has been very pretty, blue eyed, blonde and slim. I have never been and will never be as attractive in terms of strangers rating a photo. BUT, I have always had enough people in my life who like me, love me, find me attractive etc that I can't let this bother me.

As people worthy of being loved and admired, the stuff that counts was here with us no matter what weight we are. The weight coming off is a bonus for ourselves, but it doesn't define us!

Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times

Quote Originally Posted by niamh View Post
    Shirley, really so sorry to hear about your parents-in-law. Sounds like your husband has been lovely and understanding though, rather than trying to defend them, so that's great (he's the one that really counts!).

Also, I know that losing weight fast seems great, but in terms of our skin tone, and complications, and keeping the weight off, slowly is great! You know all the reasons the sleeve is preferable - no dumping, no re-routing of the digestive tract, we can eat whatever we want, just in small amounts.

And finally can I say, your photo is lovely - your smile and your eyes exude genuine warmth. By all means, lose whatever further weight you want for your own wellbeing, but not in order to achieve some ideal or to measure up against your sister in law.

I have a sister who my whole life has been very pretty, blue eyed, blonde and slim. I have never been and will never be as attractive in terms of strangers rating a photo. BUT, I have always had enough people in my life who like me, love me, find me attractive etc that I can't let this bother me.

As people worthy of being loved and admired, the stuff that counts was here with us no matter what weight we are. The weight coming off is a bonus for ourselves, but it doesn't define us!
    Niamh, I just can't tell you how much you have made my day. I cried and cried after thinking of how people I have not even met could make me feel more loved than my own family. I've been married to my husband for 36 years come April. My in laws find fault with everyone. I shouldn't let what they say bother me. But to think, I wore a size 22/24 pants, a 3-4X shirt and I am 5'7" so now you have a pic of what I used to look like. I'm in a 14/16 now and a 1X shirt....and they still see me as fat...I can't win with them. It dawned on me yesterday in church, I need to forgive their ignorance...and then I remembered, my mother in law told me that my sister in law was way too skinny!!! They have something ugly to say about everybody!

I love people, I'm very forgiving which sometimes gets me into trouble. I wish I had more will power not to snack, and I have to force myself to walk 30 min each day. Even when I was skinny I had a hard time with any physical activity....running hurt my sides until I almost collapsed....could not pull myself up on the chin up bar to save my soul. Needless to say, I never got the Presidential award for Physical Education....I was a whimp! The only talent I can claim is my voice. I can sing! I am leaving for Israel on Friday with my church, I have been invited to sing the song by Sandi Patti, Via Dolorosa....and I will be singing it ON the Via Dolorosa.....so just thinking about putting miles between me and the hurt here in Texas....being able to be where Jesus walked, I'm happier today for it...but I just had to tell you that you and the others on here have truly lifted my spirit...I feel like finally somebody understands how hurtful other folks can be when they tell us we are a "big OL gal/fella".....thank you again and God bless you! I am putting a prayer in the Wailing Wall for my fellow Sleevers for God to help us all on our journeys!!! Thanks again Niamh!!!