Surgeon
    Dr. McDonald
    Last Activity
    01-29-2014 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Angry So frustrated!

I know everyone has stalls. I know everyone says drink water and be patient. But I'm so frustrated! I haven't lost anything, and maybe even gained a little, in 8 days! I am down 20 pounds in one month but almost all of that was the first 2 weeks!

I'm having trouble getting water in. I've tried it plain, I've tried it with no calorie flavoring. I can't even get 20 0z. a day! (Note: I haven't been weighing myself daily, just checked it today to see how I was doing.)

I'm trying to get my protein in but even that is hard. I still can't really find a brand of protein shake I like. My nutritionist says 2 shakes a day and 3 small meals mostly protein. Some days I get the 60 grams they recommend, some days I'm about 30. I'm eating things like chicken, shrimp, cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs. All things that my nutritionist and doctor have on my allowed list. I'm not cheating a lot. I did have a few cheese puffs one day and 2 skittles one day, but in general, I'm being good. I did try some turkey bacon and that seemed okay in my tummy but I felt awful the next day, so I won't do that again.

I'm a month out and I still don't have much energy. I also still have some muscle pain on the right side, but it is improving, finally! Yesterday was a tough day fatigue wise. I average between 4 and 500 calories a day. You would think my body would be looking for energy somewhere!

Any suggestions before I go crazy?? I feel like crying. I didn't do all of this for 20 pounds!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Svendson
    Last Activity
    10-10-2013 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So frustrated!

I was in your shoes, didnt like any water... until I found Fuze Slenderize...that got me through. Protein shakes, I still cannot stomach. I still do not get enough protein or water that the NUT wants. Your 20 pounds will not be the end of it, it will melt off as you introduce new old foods again and are able to enjoy them. Your body is looking for the energy and is pulling it from your body with out you even knowing.

I was shocked when I hit my first stall and it was suggested to me to actually take my measurements ( I had done this before my surgery as well) I had found not only had I dropped the little weight, but had also dropped a few inches that I had not even really realized. That is where my body was pulling energy from. My case was extreme and not fun as I was ill most of the time since my surgery ( I am just now getting better). Your journey will be a sucess for you, It takes time and patience. Know you have all of us out here for what ever support you are in need of. Trust your body, listen to the NUTs and DOcs, introduce new stuff slowly, chew chew chew.... find the water that you can stomach and drink more of.

I am still at about 500 calories a day, but can finally drink a flavored water here and there or even regular water. Protein shakes...are a no go. but after 3 months, I am starting to savor the new old foods once again in moderation of course and it has helped greatly. The taste buds come back, dont lose the faith! I am glad I didnt, jsut wish I had some one tell me they would! Good luck and keep strong! your doin it!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa222's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    03/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Allison
    Last Activity
    12-15-2015 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't cry!!! You'll start losing again soon. Ive read soo many stories on here and the same things are happening and then one day the scale drops. Keep up the good work. Also, I was just wondering have you tried the Premier Protein shakes from Sams Club? If not I will tell you they are really good. Ive tried shakes from Walmart, Target, GNC and i hated them I actually gag on every sip. So i found out about Premier and theyre soo good. I drink 2 a day which is 60g of protein. As far as water goes I suck on crushed ice almost all day and i eat a lot of popsicles...don't know if youve tried that. I wish you all the best and I hope the scale starts moving down again!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Antionette
    Surgery date
    01/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fisher
    Last Activity
    12-19-2013 02:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel your pain. I am 7 weeks out today have lost about 25lbs. Im very frustrated as well and sorry I cant give you advise on how to end the stalls but your not alone. Good luck

Name
    Stephen
    Surgery date
    01/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr kent sasse
    Last Activity
    05-20-2014 12:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

If you are down in the 4-500 calorie range a month later, your body is probably in starvation mode, try and kick your calorie count a smudge. I know what you are going through, today I'm 6 weeks out and am down 39 pounds, but in that period of time, there is a solid 2.5-3 weeks where my weight didn't change at all. Being told to "be patient" is beyond frustrating, I know, with as much weight as I have to lose, I didn't think my body would have week long stalls for a while, and I had to convince myself to give the scale a chance to catch up. Just keep doing what you are doing and trust the process. What other choice do you have? It sucks, I know, but a sleeve is a long term investment, just keep the eye on the prize

Highest weight (12/14/12): 440
    Weight at surgery: 402.8
    Weight on 19th birthday: 358 (achieved: 3/20/13)
    Weight when I graduated high school (age 17): 321 (achieved 5/21/13)
    Weight on drivers license: 295 (achieved 6/29/13)
    Weight first day of high school: 210

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Honey Bee's Avatar
    Name
    Jenny
    Surgery date
    02/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Last Activity
    10-26-2015 10:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 260 Times
    Blog Entries

Try Pure Protein shakes, pre-made in a can. They come in chocolate & vanilla and both are pretty decent and provide 35 Grams of protein. I am having a hard time drinking shakes as well. But this one is the best I've tried so far. Also Unjury powder (chocolate) that you mix with 1% milk is not bad.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jennysbox25's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    02/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Leo Davidson
    Last Activity
    04-15-2014 07:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

I agree with Melissa, Premier Protein Shakes are GREAT. I love the chocolate it is very creamy but needs to be cold! They have 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of suger,160 calories and they are 11 oz. You can't beat that! They say if you can fast forward through the first 2 months, it gets a LOT easier. I am only 5 weeks out so I am still in the same boat as you. I drink fruit2O water and love it, you can get a case of 24 @ Sam's for less than $10 bucks. Keep your head up darling, things will get better!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Montgomery
    Last Activity
    04-17-2013 04:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I wrote this to someone else because I went through the same thing. I lost 20 lbs and stood there for about 2 weeks but then the weight started to come off again. I'm 5 weeks out tomorrow and down almost 30lbs but feel like crap. I'm sick almost everyday and I have no energy and stomach pain.

Here's what I know about stalls:
    First of all stalls are normal at 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 & 9 months as a guideline.
    When we first have the surgery we have stores of energy, can't remember the name. This energy is the first defense to starvation. The body uses this energy which is about 2 lbs and needs about 8lbs of water to dissolve it that's why we lose so fast for the first couple weeks. Once that quick energy is used and the body is still not getting the calories it needs it rebuilds that reserve so you may not lose for awhile. This is the time to take measurements because even though the scale isn't changing your body probably is. Once the body restores its reserve of quick energy then the scale will start moving again. Just keep up on the protein and fluids. After the first quick weight loss it seems to be slower but steady.
    I do weigh myself every morning just because I have for my whole life and it starts my day well. I take my measurements once a week on my anniversary day and record them.
    I know I'm losing weight and all that but I'd really like to feel better. I'm ok one day and then almost bed ridden the next. I don't get it. It's almost five weeks and I'm sick of this!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Mehta
    Last Activity
    10-15-2013 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Hi I feel the same way I was sleeved on 2/5 I have only lost about 22 pounds, I am very frustrated. I am getting in exersize a bit. I feel your pain. I am drinking my water, getting my protein no shakes the dr told me to stop them since I am eating. I feel I am not eating a lot or enough, I am not hungry. What am I at a stall. ahhhhhhhhhhh Good Luck...Jo

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gorospe
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 09:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

One dr says quit shakes when start eating mine said to keep drinking them who knows. I guess it is whatever works for u. I still drink 2 a day for snacks. But mainly cuz I like them. Only ones I like is Atkins cafe caramel shakes if didn't like these I probably wouldn't still be drinking them since I'm about 19 months post op

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh man,I came on here today cuz I felt like bawling....I step on the scale every 1-2 days and have been stuck now for 2 weeks. Im so frustrated! Not only the time,pain and truly,mental anguish involved, but also the money. I feel like Im failing,and in essence letting my family down(its their money too right?). SO,that being said,youre not alone

Ive found a great way to get the meal replacement shakes in is to add to your morning coffee. I like the chocolate flavor,and do 2/3 coffee, 1/3 shake. It just ends up tasting like a hot chocolate. Another lady I know makes fat free pudding using the vanilla ones.

I wish you the best,and hope you get over this hump soon. I know its hard,and its easy to lose a bit of focus. I know thats what Im doing and I guess typing it out to you now, I know what I have to do to change things up a bit. Please keep us posted,and Ill be sure to do the same!