Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-24-2010 04:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Surgery Booked For 02/08/2010

I am so excited about my upcoming surgery. I am a Brit living in France and having the surgery here. The choice was not difficult ... nhs or private clinic ... lol

I am however moving back the the UK on the 29/08 so have spent the last few months packing up my house.

I am 31 and married with three boys under the age of 6.

Not many people are behind me on the surgery, but it is hard to understand if you are not fat. I have eaten all my favourite foods this week so feel 100% mentally prepared.

I hope to write as often as possible on my journey although with the move and everything it may be hard.

Glad to have found this site

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    03-29-2024 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Kelly,
    Congrats on your decision.
    That will make it easier for you to chase around your boys and do sports with them and such!
    It's a medical marvel and some might not understand that but after you do it the naysayers will probably realize what a good decision it actually was.

Please keep us posted, glad you found this site also. Make yourself at home and if you need anything please let me know.
    Looking forward to reading your journey getting a gastric sleeve from here on.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thanks MediaHound

Due to living abroad from my parents we count everything with the kids in sleeps (nights) as it is easier for them to understand the time passing. We use it for holidays and such, but I have been counting down to d day.

With just 3 sleeps to go now I am really really excited.

Had steak and chips for dinner tonight crossing the last favourite food off the list, so I'm ready to go

6. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Bucket list for food to eat before surgery, love it!

You'll do great and wish you the best. Your life is about to change so much!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

I am now going to give in full details my experience of surgery that I had 6 days ago on Monday 02/08. I don't want to scare anyone with the gory stuff, but I wish I had known more. Don't let this deter you if you are sure this is right for you. A little discomfort is nothing compared to controlling the weight.

Monday 02/08
    Went down to theatre at 8am.

Woke up in recovery feeling sick so they gave me anti nausea and morphine.

Went up to intensive care at about 13:30.

Had a lot of shoulder pain which the nurse told me was the air that they pumped into my stomache cavity. They said it moves around the body and comes out slowly in burping or farting. I was burping loads, but no farting.

Kept calling the nurse to go to the toilet due to all the fluids they were putting in the drip. After about 4 hours I was in agony and they told me that I had gone to the toilet tooo much. I asked for an adult nappy as I knew I had to kep still and then at least I could sleep a bit. Peeing in a bed pan lying down with a nurse asking you every second if you are finished is not easy

Tuesday 03/08
    In the morning they gave me a bed bath because I still wasn't allowed to get up. Still peed loads, but less painfull with the bed pan and moving about. In the afternoon I was allowed to actually go to the toilet with a nurse.

Wednesday 04/08
    In the morning I had a special x-ray to check that there were no leaks. With the jiggling of the wheelchair I threw up all over the x-ray machine although I did manage to get through it, it was not pretty, but I felt better after being sick.

No leaks so for lunch I got broth of which I managed abut 4 spoons.

In the evening they gave me soup and mashed up ham. I was really confused as to why they were giving me slids so early on. I had some soup and that was it.

Had a very bad night didn't sleep at all thought it was acid coming up, but could have just been pain. The night nurse was a proper bitch.

Thursday 05/08
    This was probably the worst day as I was out of intensive care, but had not slept the night and was feeling very nauseous.

I threw up the little I had for breakfast and then the little I had for lunch.

I was waiting to see the surgeon to see if I could have some sort of antacid, but it was 3pm before he got there.

I got the antacid, but it didn't help. What DID HELP though was putting my hands on my head for about half an hour after eating. No idea why, but it worked, so I carried on. Managed to keep down a compote and a yogurt.

Was supposed to go home, but due to just starting to keep food down I had to stay.

Drinking seemed to be an issue I could only put my toung in the glass even just sipping was hurting although the eating was going better.

Friday 06/08
    Ate nothing for breakfast a yogurt for lunch (11:30zm) then a compote at 1pm. I left the hospital at 2pm.

I saw the dieticien before I left who advised me that it was better to eat one spoonful of everything than just veg or just yogurt. Balance was they key and not to worry about the portions. She said when you think ... do I really want another spoonfull ... then you should stop.

Being home was nice, I was looking forward to seeing me little one as he had not come to the hospital, I think he is too young to understand and would not have wanted to leave me there.

Made the mstake of having soup and going to bed half an hour after. The soup sloshed around making me feel really sick.

Saturday 07/08
    Got up at 2am had some pain killers and then went back to bed at 3am. Slept through till 8am when the kids woke up.

In less pain/discomfort today.

I have been drinking half cups of water at a time even though it is hurting because I feel so thirsty. Through the day it has got less painful, not it is just uncomfortable for a few seconds after.

The nurse came to check over my stitches. She'll be back on the 16th to take them out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So that's where I am at. It was a lot more painful than I expected, but every day seems to be a little better.

Sleeping and drinking were the hardest things apart from eating obviously.

Here in France there is no set diet per say they suggest you eat mashed up foods for a week, but tonight I had a little pasta (small stars) with a tomato sauce (when I say little I mean 4 or 5 small spoon fulls) followed by a little watermelon cut up small. I think chewing makes it easier to digest.

To be honest I am not hungry, I am eating because I have to.

I am also very tired, but this is due to not eating very much and missing out on a lot of sleep.

The acid seems also to be aproblem, but this afternoon I had a teaspoon of gaviscon and that helped, so I am going to take some before bed.

Will try to update as often as possible and please feel free to ask questions

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Monday 09/08
    Had a better day yesterday although today I am feeling sick again.

Not managing to sleep very well even though I am very tired.

Eating very small amounts as and when I can face it.

12. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Blog Entries

What a great journal, thank you for documenting this.
    Are you not sleeping because of restlessness or the pain just keeps distracting you from being able to sleep or discomfort, etc?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

It is more that when I wake in the night I can't just turn over and go back to sleep. It is just discomfort, but getting up and taking a paracetamol seems to help.

15. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Blog Entries

What is it that gets you up?
    Do you have kids that are waking you up? Or a TV thats left on? or something like that..?
    Maybe try and keep whatever it is to a minimum for a little while.
    Have you thought about trying some melatonin or something like that to help you?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

There is nothing actually waking me up excep that I am uncomfortable and need to change position.

Tuesday 10/08 to Friday 13/08
    Having a really hard time actually. My husband is being great and I don't have to do anything in the house. The problem is eating and drinking. It is still hurting and I don't want to eat, so forcing a few mouthfulls down. This means that I am very very tired.

My mum is coming over for a few days onMonday, so hopefully that'll help.

I'm feeling down beacause of all the success stories I have heard I seem to be the only one that is having a hard time.

I have quite a high pain threshold so am going to the doctor today as I think the constant paracetamol might be hindering my recovery.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sandyfromoz's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    sandyfromoz
    Surgery date
    02/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity
    01-18-2020 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6,066 Times
    Was Thanked 663 Times in 363 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 468 Times

HI Kellyfrah, I hope you are all settled down nicely into your new tummy. Imagine running around with your kidlets instead of it being hard to keep up.
    Thank you very much for sharing your diary with us, and NO you haven't scared me. I think we need to hear the good, bad and the ugly on our way to being great, beautiful and Grand.
    Cheers
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

thanks sandyfromoz i know the end justifies the means

UPDATE
    I was doing better then had this nausea that came from nowhere. I had to sleep sitting up it was that bad. I phoned my surgeon who said it was normal and hung up, so I went to my local doctor and he gave me some anti sickness medicine which is working.

I am going to see my surgeon on Wednesday and I am going to have a few words. I know it is major surgery and that people react differently, but I am moving countries in 7 days and him knowing this should have warned me what 'could' happen in the worst case scenario.

Anyway, every day is a little better although not eating very much or very varied, just keeping tummy not empty.

10kg down (about 23 lbs)

22. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Hey Kelly hope you start feeling better and kick the nausea.
    Where are you moving to if I may ask? Moving to a new country sounds exciting.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thankd MediaHound.

I have not taken the nausea medicine today, so I'll se how I go.

I am actully moving back to the UK from france, so going home. I am very excited

25. Said thanks: