Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-20-2012 08:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Question about 6 month REQUIRED diet...

Hello!

I am month one of my 6 month required diet. I am a 5ft1 40 year old female who weighs 233 lbs. I have sleep apnea (week 1 on cpap and I am so happy), high bp, high cholesterol and borderline diabetic. The cholesterol medicine and the bp meds both give me side effects that work against me but I need to be on them until I can get some weight off. My insurance is UMR and they require a 6 month monitored diet (it is just costing me money, learning nothing new). Have any of you gotten out of this 6 month diet (stall tactic)? It seems that making me wait is actually costing my insurance MORE money. I have been researching this for over a year and due to miscommunication from my insurance I thought I would be able to have surgery at the beginning of the year. Thanks for your prayers and input.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Default Re: Question about 6 month REQUIRED diet...

Stall tactic for sure, and at you weigh 233. At my height of 5'4", that would put my BMI below 40, and this disqualify me for bariatric surgery. I would ask questions and perhaps get your doctor to write a letter that this isn't necessary for you!

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Theresa
    Surgery date
    02/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Tri State
    Last Activity
    12-13-2021 08:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 352 Times

many insurances require it. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It helped me to prepare mentally and physically for what was to come. I lost weight and broke alot of bad eating habits presurgery. I think it actually made the whole experience easier for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member momoftwoboys's Avatar
    Name
    Tina
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Babak Moeinolmolki
    Last Activity
    10-22-2014 01:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 119 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

My surgeon was asked this question during a seminar and what he said was you can try it but it would end up taking just as much time if not more time to fight the 6 month diet than to just go ahead and do it. I was against it, as I am impatient, but I am 3 months into it and only 3 more to go. I am learning how to eat and cut out things before surgery and I am finding that to be a good thing.

Highest weight 311 ( January 2012 )
    Day of surgery 270

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wade Barker
    Last Activity
    04-15-2013 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

I was sure there was nothing I could learn or do differently in that 6 months, but I was wrong. My doctor actually gave me little suggestions here and there that made a real difference. Month 1 he told me to stay away from white grains,bread, rice,etc.; month 2 he told me to start tracking my calories every day. That was probably the most useful tip of the whole 6 months. I started using myfitnesspal.com on my PC and on my phone and I was AMAZED at how many calories I was really consuming every day. I needed that amount of time to really break my carb and dessert cravings and learn some new eating habits. As a bonus, I also lost 24lbs.
    Highest weight - 299.5, July 2011
    Official pre-surgery weight - 275, March 2012

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    06/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chlysta
    Last Activity
    06-12-2013 12:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I went to a free class last summer knowing I wanted a sleeve and ready to go under the knife that day. When they told us it was 6 months I was seriously bummed. My 6 months was in Feb. I was not ready... Sounds crazy I know.. There is so much work to do to get ready though, this is a total lifestyle change if you are going to do it right. You have to change the way you think, eat, sometimes work.... It's a lot to deal with, at least for me. I think I'm ready now and am going to speak with my dr to schedule a surgery date. By the time I actually have surgery it will be more like 9 months.and I'm fine with that. If you are in a good bariatric program they will keep you busy. Don't worry it goes fast in my opinion.