Surgeon
    Dr. Stowers
    Last Activity
    03-24-2013 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Question Anybody having problems with their mental health?

Hello all!

It has been a little while since I've posted or been on this site, I've been very busy with the outside world and school lately, lots of stressing out. My weight has been doing good, I've still lost lots of weight and according to my doctors I'm still on track but could be doing better. I've started on my routine again and did my 5k at 1h13m, a good thirty minutes off my time from last year. No I didn't run it, that's not possible right now and I really don't care.

Anyway, I've noticed that I've been really mood swingy lately, not even necessarily around that time of the month. Some days I'm great, it's like I'm high, and then others are just really cruddy. Those are the days where I'm too self-absorbed to get up and do anything, and the days I get a coffee during class. I really don't know if this really has anything to do with the surgery or not, but I kind of feel like it does. Before, even at 320 lbs I felt hot. It was like I had reversed BDD, I thought I was smaller than I really was. I'd wear cute clothes like everybody else, and ended up looking way worse than they did. Now, at 65lbs less it seems like I've blown up. I always feel ridiculous about things, and I've almost adopted a bum attire.

Like I said I'm not entirely sure if this is the surgery or just some resurfacing of things, but has anybody else had problems post-op? Just really curious.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member xlorrainex's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lorraine
    Surgery date
    12/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Khayat
    Last Activity
    05-27-2013 09:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

Default Re: Anybody having problems with their mental health?

Yes!! I feel the same. I have developed issues I didnt have before. Now I am so critical of myself, I wear all of my baggy clothes, and I see EVERY wrinkle I have. I hate when people notice my weight loss. So strange...I was nothing like this before. AND the mood swings...geez...I am all over the place!! Congrats on the weight loss. Seems like you are doing fine. If they say you should be doing better than I must be doing really bad!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-25-2013 08:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times

It takes time to adjust our mentality to our smaller physical being. I find myself critical of every lump and bump in the wrong place. Trying to wear the girdle to smooth them out. Before I could have cared less. Maybe just the self conscious part of us is that much more because we feel we're in a different size clothes. All I can say is the wows I get from people keep me motivated and I know I am a healthier me the mood swings came with what the scale was doing and now I don't gauge my happiness on the scale moving so it seems to have gotten better.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Iqbal
    Last Activity
    08-06-2012 08:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Yes I have noticed that my depression has gotten much much worse since surgery. I still go to dr's they have upped meds but nothing seems to be helping. I don't know if it's the shock to the body, the hormones, or just me lol but i had a rough day today infact looking through the forum to see if there is anyone else out there having a simmilar issue mentally this has been extreamly rough

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member stephintexas's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Mirza
    Last Activity
    05-22-2014 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 127 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times

I was all excited at first. The weight was coming off. Now that I've gained and not lost that much overall, I'm all mopey and sad. I find myself highly irritable. I suspect more arobic exercise is the answer.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents