Surgery date
    02/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Sleeved on 2/11/12 - Dr. Rodriguez @ Star Medica - Juarez, MX

For those of you that are thinking about being sleeved in MX with Dr. Rodriguez, dont hesitate!

I researched and chose Dr. Rod because of his ability to work with scar tissue after talking with some of his former patients that had revision surgery. I had the Molina band for 17 years and needless to say, my tummy had some scar tissue and i needed a surgeon that could handle this. Dr. Rod did with ease!

My husband and I arrived on Friday, 2/10 at 5-ish due to our plane being late. Sergio, the driver, met us at the doors of the airport and guided us to one of his drivers, Alfonso, for the ride across the border. It was all uneventful driving across... took about 20 minutes to get to Star Medica Hospital.

Once we were at the hospital, Alfonso grabbed our suitcases and brought us to Dr. Calderon, the psychiatrist and the first person you meet on staff with Dr. Rodriguez's team. He is very quiet and soft spoken and explains everything to you in great detail. He answered all our questions about the surgery and paperwork and off I went with him to have my chest xray done. That took all of 15 minutes total and we were off to our room on the 3rd floor.

The rooms are fantastic!! The shower is huge and everything is super clean. The couch/bed that my husband slept on was very comfy for him and of course, I had a hospital bed, nuff said on that! Once we got settled in, the nurses came in and drew my blood and did the ekg. We had the rest of the night to do whatever so we went and walked down to Denny's for my "last meal" of sorts... I had a lower bmi so Dr. Calderon said it was okay if i had a healthy last meal as long as I didnt eat or drink anything after midnight. Deal!

The next morning I woke up to the nurses getting me ready for my IV. let me tell you, the weight gain from the IV was not something that I was prepared for! I gained a total of 14 lbs! It took a week to get my body back to normal! The anesthesiologist came in and talked with me for about 15 minutes asking the usual questions. She was really nice. Then Dr. Rod came in and sat down and explained everything that was going to happen and answered all my questions too. Didnt hurt that he smells damn good too! Around 1pm, they came in and wheeled my entire bed to the surgery waiting room.. that is when I really got nervous. Hubby was upstairs, I was there, and hardly anyone spoke english! The last thing I remember was the Anesthesiologist looking over the top of my head and asking if I was okay and telling me that everything was going to be fine. She was right!

I came out of recovery without any problems so they wheeled me into my room where my hubby was.. he was a sight for sore eyes!!! I had some gas pains but nothing out of the ordinary. I kinda knew what to expect since I had my band removed a month earlier and went through the same thing. The only thing that bothered me was the drain. ugh! that teeny-tiny incision hurt the worst and still gives me trouble 11 days post op!

You cant drink anything for the first 24 hours and that didnt really bother me. I was too busy trying to manage the drain and walk around to get the damn gas out of me. burping has never felt soooo good! The one thing I recommend to everyone is to make sure you have a bowel movement before you leave. We got home and i hadnt had one in 5 days and it was horrible giving myself an enema that soon after surgery! but it worked and everything was fine after that. Since you have an IV in you the whole time, pain management was really good and any time I felt queasy, they handled it immediately. I couldnt have asked for better care! The language barrier was difficult at first but then we got Google Translate on our phones and after that, no problemo!

The leak test was cool but awful! You cant drink anything until you have the leak test with Dr. Elmo... that liquid is horrible tasting but watching it go through your new nanner tummy is amazing and worth the two gulps you have to take! They give you a copy of your leak test to bring home.. it shows the progression of the fluid as it moves through the tummy. They even let my husband go in and watch it! How awesome was that!

Dr. Rod, Dr. Elmo and Dr. Calderon all come in each day and check on you and talk to you if you have any questions. We stood around for about an hour chatting with Dr. Rod about family, technology, etc.. one day! I cant say that I have ever had that with a doc here in the US.

All in all, I am sooo happy I chose Beliteweight and Dr. Rod! Beliteweight helped me with all my FMLA, FSA credit card charges and paperwork, and my short-term disability papers. They were very understanding and helpful and i cant thank them enough!

I will say that you need to bring the following with you just for good measure:
    personal pillow - stuff it in a suitcase but dont forget it!
    flipflops for walking the halls although they provide slippers
    heating pad - it helped with the pain soo much!
    computer/smartphone for communicating - we have ATT and didnt have any roaming in Juarez at all.
    pajama pants to wear while walking the halls. you are hooked to an IV so the top is pretty much useless until you are ready to go home or take a shower.
    clothes to wear home that are 2x bigger than what you normally wear... you will gain weight with the IV, be prepared!

I started this journey at 213 and 11 days post op I am sitting at 206. this includes 7 days to get back to my pre op weight of 213!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member michelleb's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aceves
    Last Activity
    06-12-2016 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 537 Times
    Was Thanked 572 Times in 521 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,488 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sleeved on 2/11/12 - Dr. Rodriguez @ Star Medica - Juarez, MX

I heard Dr Rod and his facility I'd fantastic. I've had some interaction with beliteweight and they are amazing too! Congrats on your surgery!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 09:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I have lots of questions. How are you today? What was the total cost? Would you recommend that we stay more than required? How bad was the pain? At any time did your hubby have to leave you. In 31 days you have lost 63 lbs? Are you eating solid foods. How long was it before you started eating when you got home? Did you have to do a liquid diet? If so how did you handle that? I want this surgery but i don't think that i can do the liquid diet.

Name
    Sabrina
    Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villarreal
    Last Activity
    03-05-2018 06:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

i would really like to know how you are doing its been awhile since you been on here im having surgery there with the same dr .

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Rod Val
    Last Activity
    03-05-2018 08:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Same here - i am scheduled for 2/16 with Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villarreal.
    Please please give my anything you can. I found many other doctors' reviews online but this one is hard to find.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sabrina
    Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

My surgery is February 9th I tried to talk to this girl but I guess she doesn't come on here anymore I'm excited I can't wait I'm going

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Rod Val
    Last Activity
    03-05-2018 08:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

@blinky31
    Let's be sleeve buddies?
    As you are going before me, let me know how it all goes. I'll do the same when I get there
    Good Luck to you and best wishes.

Name
    Sabrina
    Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times