Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffrey Monash
    Last Activity
    08-10-2016 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Hiatal Hernia repair with gastric sleeve?

This is just to see if anyone had a repair done at the same time as gastric sleeve? The reason I ask is because the diet restriction are a bit different and the pain is quite different. I was just want to ask for advice and recommendations on how to get all the fluids down to meet the requirements. Just general experience would be great to hear. Thanks.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member brailynsmommy08's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jackee
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodregiz
    Last Activity
    11-24-2012 10:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hiatal Hernia repair with gastric sleeve?

Yes a lot of people have it done at the same time. The 2 ladies who had surgery with me had theirs done at the same time and another lady who was there had her gallbladder removed at the same time as her surgery. As for the fluids just sip sip sip all day long, it will take you awhile to work up to the full amount but as long as you can get half the required amount in the first few days you will be okay. All you can do is sip every few minutes and work your way up to the recommended amount of liquids. I think the first few weeks after my friend had her surgery and hernia fixed she was lucking to get in 32-40 oz of water in a day but she has slowly gotten to the full 64 or more now and she is 9 weeks out from surgery now. She concentrated on her protein to get the nutrients in and would sip all day long. Luckily the pain only lasted about 2 weeks for her and she was fine. Good luck to you, your only 6 days out so sip your heart out is the best advice any of us can give you.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/29/2011
    Surgeon
    dr.Floch
    Last Activity
    07-28-2013 10:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello,

Yes, I had mine done at the same time. The doctor said that mine wasn't that bad but he still wanted me to fix it. I am not sure about the pain because it didnt bother me before. I didn't even know I had the issue. I know that I was only suppose to be in the hospital for a day and had to stay 3 days because i wasn't getting all of the fluids down. I would throw everything up. On the last day i was there everything was fine. I was able to keep it down. So you may or may not have that issue.

Hope this helped.

CC

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marva
    Surgery date
    02/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffrey Monash
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you both for your responses. I don't feel so alone anymore. I just feel so whipped right now because I just can't stand the idea of eating (protein drinks) and drinking hurts so much. Did either of you notice if cold or warm fluids made a difference?

Gastric Sleeve Member Chief_Geek's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wisbach
    Last Activity
    07-19-2012 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

I had both done at the same time also. I am a week ahead of you with the surgery and I still cannot get all of the water in one day. Getting better at it, but it is a pain. I have been able to get the 70mg of protein in now as of this past weekend which is what my priority is over the water volume.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/29/2011
    Surgeon
    dr.Floch
    Last Activity
    07-28-2013 10:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

No I didn't notice if cold or hot bothered me. When I drink to fast it does hurt my stomach but that is it.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ictgurl316's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holover
    Last Activity
    04-04-2013 05:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 86 Times
    Blog Entries

Well i have to have the hernia repair with my surgery.. But my doctor will be putting me on the mushy diet after my surgery. Hopefully it will be minimal pain at least thats what i praying for loll plus i was told to drink only room temperature drinks only for the first few weeks. It helps the fluids to go down eaiser, and less pain.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Billings
    Last Activity
    09-22-2013 10:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I had the gastric sleeve surgery with hiatal hernia repair on Jan. 30th. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. The first week was much more painful than I expected because of the hernia repair, but I feel great now that I am 3 weeks out. No pain whatsoever now and I'm delighted with my weight loss. It was definitely hard to get adequate fluids in me at first. Ice chips and sugar free popsicles were my best friends. (If you cannot get close to the fluid requirement and just feel crummy, you might consider asking for an IV with fluids. You will feel and heal better with adequate hydration.) I took phernergan suppositories to help with queasiness and roxicet for pain. I've talked with friends who had gastric sleeve surgery a year or more ago and they wish that they had the hernia stitch because they are now dealing with reflux and heartburn. The people I've spoken with who have the hernia repair have more pain and difficulty initially after surgery, but they don't have the long term reflux or heartburn. Hang in there! It gets better! Best wishes!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

My severe hiatal hernia was repaired at the same time as my sleeve. I have not had any pain since the surgery and was not given any special diet to follow, other than the one given to regular sleeve patients. Ice chips and popscicles were the best things for me the few days. Pretty much anything cold (but water) went down great. It's hard to get the 64oz of protein and water down. That's the case for anyone post-op, it seems.

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N2DVN View Post
    My severe hiatal hernia was repaired at the same time as my sleeve. I have not had any pain since the surgery and was not given any special diet to follow, other than the one given to regular sleeve patients. Ice chips and popscicles were the best things for me the few days. Pretty much anything cold (but water) went down great. It's hard to get the 64oz of protein and water down. That's the case for anyone post-op, it seems.
    Oh, just having the hernia repaired has improved my quality of life! No more heartburn, reflux, or constant hiccups! I am still on Nexium but am expecting to wen off it by July.

Gastric Sleeve Member MaryFromTheD's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    01/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chengelis
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MIVanderwood View Post
    This is just to see if anyone had a repair done at the same time as gastric sleeve? The reason I ask is because the diet restriction are a bit different and the pain is quite different. I was just want to ask for advice and recommendations on how to get all the fluids down to meet the requirements. Just general experience would be great to hear. Thanks.
    Hi Marva,
    I had a "paraesophogeal" type of hiatal hernia (they're not common so you probably won't have one). My surgeon said it was huge and was most likely the reason for all the GERD symptoms I had been having for years. I won't lie, the recovery was rather painful. However within a week (and doing lots of walking) it felt much better. I had the traditional diet for VSG patients with no issues since. Maybe it's just me but getting in all my fluids has not been a problem from day one. Sleeping was a little difficult in the beginning so I propped myself under pillows & that helped me.
    Best of luck to you!
    Mary

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marva
    Surgery date
    02/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffrey Monash
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

MBS,

That sounds exactly like what I have going on. I have a lot of queasiness and just don't want to eat or drink anything because it hurts and then the nausea kicks in and I have to force myself to drink something. I want so bad to take my phenergen but it is a pill. I will ask about the IV fluids but first will try the Popsicles again. I am tired of. Wing tired. It at least I know the it is because of not getting enough liquids and protein. Something's gotta give. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your a lifesaver! :-)
    Thank you,
    Marva

Gastric Sleeve Member CatherineRN's Avatar
    Name
    Catherine
    Surgery date
    12/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Echols
    Last Activity
    01-29-2014 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

I had mine same day, he said it was easy to repair. But just ice chips were hard for first day and second a sip was all I could do at a time. It does get better and easier to get the fluids down. Just keep sipping friend!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marva
    Surgery date
    02/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffrey Monash
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Mary,
    Mine was a para esophageal with my half of my stomach located in my esophagus. Sleeping was very difficult at first so I know what you mean by propping up to be able to sleep. When I try to lay flat I get the tough pain right between the breasts. I am mostly a side sleeper so i was able to get back to that sooner rather than later. Thank you so much for sharing you experience with me. I really do appreciate it and it's nice to know I will be okay soon.
    Marva

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-20-2017 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the same thing. On the 02/15/2012. I only sayed one night came home around three the next day. I had some pain and discomfort. I said what the heck did i do to myself. I was scared of having a leak but all was good that was some nasty stuff.