Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2011 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Slow Weight Loss

Hello,
    I had my surgery on December 20, 2010. I have only lost 19lbs to date. My friend had the bypass and has already lost 30 plus pounds! I was wondering if this is a normal rate of weight loss or is itsomething I am not doing. I wlecome your comments. Thanks
    Wanda

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Nana Renan's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    08-07-2011 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 277 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Default Re: Slow Weight Loss

I'm sorry -- I know how frustrating those big, long STALLS can be.

What are you doing for activity at this point? Is there any way you can nudge that up just a bit...? LIke if you're walking 30 minuetes a day, do 45?

Are you getting in your 60 grams of protein per day? If you're not sure, start recording it. If you are, try bumping that up a bit.

And also, are you keeping things sugar free whenever possible and doing protein first, veggies next and anything else last...?

I hope it changes for you soon, but try taking your measurements or trying on something in your closet that was snug before surgery -- when the scales aren't moving you're probably losing inches and vice versa. Someone else was just saying how they've lost 45 lbs and their clothes are only a little loose. Don't know why it works that way, but it does.

Keep up the good work. Slow and steady wins the race!

Lap-Band removed and revised to Sleeve on 2/10/11

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2011 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I think I am missing some protein and I just really started exercising. I will take your tips and keep you posted. Thanks!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-09-2012 07:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

count calories, you can take in to much even though you are not eating that much. after our surgery our metabolism slows way down so a few extra calories are like us having an extra helping of desert.

no set calorie limit, but keep an eye on it and adjust as you go. i can tell you i went thought a phase where i was not loosing and started lowering my calories intake to the point where i was not eating enough at all and that actually started slowing my weight lose rate down to. it seem to be a a medium you need to keep to much you dont burn enough, to little and your body stores everything.

i feel your paint though, i never had any of the drastic weight loose that most have, it was very frustrating at first but after talking with quite a few peole that had the by pass it seem that those that loose it slower generally have a better percentage of keeping it off and staying where they want. i guess it is because we have to work a little harder we are better accustomed to the life style when the weight lose slows down and levels off.

keep your chin up and think about the positives. i have lost 75 and i got my sleeve at the end of june of last year. when i think about the amount i sometime get angry but i have to realize i no loner have high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol issue etc. i sleep so much better and i can buy cloths at normal stores. im not thin but im not obese anymore. i lost 25 percent of weight, i have been at this weight for about 2 months and i completely blame my self for not exercising like i was and more liberal eating. i think i would be another 15-20 less but the holidays got me lazy and complacent. BUT i have not gained weight.

Gastric Sleeve Member Nana Renan's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    08-07-2011 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 277 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jemaz View Post
    i feel your paint though, i never had any of the drastic weight loose that most have,
    My eyes have often bugged out at some of the losses I see. But one thing for both of you to remember, you MAY have been maintaining your pre-op weight on a much MUCH lower calorie count than those other people.

I didn't LIVE on a diet every day, but from keeping food diaries for doctors, etc. I know my pre WLS diet was consistently in the 1600-2400 range. So when I was banded, my loss was good but not dramatic like some.

Come to find out, they were eating in the 3000-5000 range, so NO WONDER the weight was coming off of them much, MUCH faster. I weighed today and including my pre-op diet of 10 days + 9 days since surgery, I've only lost 9 lbs. I sure would like for that number to be higher, but its just going to be slower than someone who was eating much more.

Lap-Band removed and revised to Sleeve on 2/10/11

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-09-2012 07:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

that makes a lot of sense, i actually had lost about 65 lbs before i had my sleeve.

like i said it frustrates me but i have to think about all the positives.

i know not loosing weight in the last two months can be a bad thing but i look at it this way i have kept my weight consistant for two month fairly easy.

now if i get off my tush and start walking, at least, i would start loosing again.

we need to ban-together to help keep our enthusiasm peaked!

as far as exercise, i have done it all in my life at one point in my life so after OP i did a pretty hard regimen of exercising, high intensity aerobics, etc. what i ahve noticed for my self, and i say that because we are all different, but it seems it more about the time than it is the intensity. what im trying to say is i noticed better result with just walking for a longer period of time than if i ran. for instance, i would run a couple miles that would take about 30 minutes, i lost more weight walking at a normal pace for an hour.

that technically goes again all the so called research. they say that you will loose more weight just walking, while you walk, but when you stop you are done loosing weight. with a interval training program, you dont loose as much but you continue to loose after you stop for 2 to 3 hours longer. well my thoughts was i could go gang buster for 30 minutes every day would be better than a hour walk. well after a week of being lazy and only walking for an hour each day i noticed i lost a lot more weight.

im a research addict so i started doing research after noticing the weight loss difference between the two types of cardio. what i found is body builder walk when they are cutting weight for theirs show. the biggest in teh business all say the same thing, walk an hour at a normal pace, watch your diet and get plenty of sleep. i know we are not body builders but these guys has spent lot of time and money to learn hour to loose weight for competition while not loosing their muscle and staying healthy as possible.

Wow im long winded today,lol so what im trying to say is just walk, that is all you have to do. what i did was find a place that took 30 minutes to walk to and that became my route. i lucked out and there was a convenience store 30 minutes from my house so i go and pick up lottery ticket or a bottle of water or what ever.

11. Said thanks: