I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Laura
    Last Activity
    10-15-2013 05:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Default Preparing to change my eating habits.....

Hi everyone - I'm new here and have not been sleeved yet. I am just getting started on my journey and am waiting to hear from Kaiser on my acceptance to the pre-op classes. I've been doing tons of research and understand that I will need to lose aprx 10% of my current body weight prior to receiving approval for the surgery (per Kaiser's requirements), and also go on a liquid diet for aprx 2 weeks prior to the surgery. Because I am in the very beginning stages of this process, I was curious as to whether it is advisable for me to start making small changes things now so that it's easier to do it once I enter the classes in early April. For example, I have begun to drink a lot more water every day and take sips about every 15 minutes or so (I have a timer that reminds me). I've also started to eat all my protein in my meals first, reduced portion sizes by 1/2 and chew each bite 10 - 15 times and slow down between each bite. These small changes have actually already started to make a difference because I have noticed a change in the way my clothes are fitting already! They are small changes but hey, every little bit helps right?

I was curious if anyone had begun to make changes before they were "required to pre-op? And if yes, what methods did you use? For example, did you replace one meal with a protein shake? If yes what shakes did you try? Also, I have heard that vitamins and supplements will be required post-op, several times a day. Is this true? If yes, would it be advantegeous to start taking those vitamins and supplements now so that I am in the habit of taking them?

Lastly (I know this is long, sorry), I'm really concerned about hair loss. I know it's vain but I have always had really thick, good hair and I hate the thought of it falling out in little clumps and / or becoming thin. Is there something I can be doing now to prevent that from happening? In the past I've taken prenatal vitamins as a regular vitamin and they did amazing things for my hair and nails. I'm just not sure what dosages of calcium, B12, D, etc. I will be required pre & post-op.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Sorry for the lengthy message!

- Laura -

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Preparing to change my eating habits.....

Hi Laura,
    First let me say, way to go, for choosing this surgery to make your future a brighter one.
    Now to your questions...
    IF you have already been weighed officially by your surgeon or the program, then go for it, change what you can naturally. If you haven't had your official weigh in yet, be a bit cautious because they won't take your word for the weight you lost prior to weigh in, or take numbers from any scale but theirs. There was one poor lady who was all excited because she dropped 40 lbs before the seminar and was rather upset when she was told it didn't count.

You're making all the right changes, you'll be great at this! I had the 10% of excess wt requirement as well. For me that was 20lbs. I was also told if I gained any back they wouldn't do the surgery. So, being obsessive a bit, I kept going and dropped 35 pre-surg. I did it on Weight Watchers, eating 60% of the points. Dropped 3 lbs a week for 12 wks. The last 4 wks I started smoothies. Milk, whey powder, fruit. Don't buy too much of the powder, though! After surgery some of us get lactose/whey intolerant. I threw a bunch of it out when I had to switch to soy.

I take vitamins twice a day but it's just my calcium/d/k at night with dinner. And I'd say except for super high b vitamins it's ok to start now. I say this only because I am not well versed on vitamin b toxicity and/or if it we absorb them differently post sleeve than pre sleeve. But regular vitamins, biotin, zinc, calcium, vit d, magnesium... all good, all the time. You didn't mention exercise, but I'd suggest trying to find something you like now, as well.
    Even if you only do it twice a week, it helps, body and mind.

Your hair... oh the hair.. I am of the mind that you are either going to lose it or you are not. I did it all "right". Biotin, heavy b-vitamins, zinc, knox gelatin, nioxin shampoo/conditioner... etc, etc. and at 4 months out my hair started coming out at an alarming rate. I'd say I lost about 20% of it. It's slowing down now at 5 months out so I just cut it shorter than usual and it will come back in soon. I'm like you, my hair was/will be again my crowning glory, down past my tush, and thick. But several years of thyroid issues and now this surgery and it's much shorter and not nearly as thick.
    Some lose it, some don't. My crystal ball doesn't say who... but if you do, remember it's for a good cause and it will grow back!

Welcome!
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

Hi Grace -

Thank you for your response and for all the info. Congrats to you on your surgery and all that you have lost so far. It's exciting to see everyone have such amazing progress and be so supportive of others on here. I was told at the Orientation that my weight taken that day was the "starting" weight they would be using. I am anxious to here back on their review of my questionnaire and for my next appointment to be scheduled. I am going to just continue to do what I'm doing now until I get my next appointment and then talk about meal replacement and vitamins with them then and see what they recommend.

THank you!!!!

Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fedorka
    Last Activity
    06-29-2017 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 114 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

Laura, I'm going through Kaiser Fontana. Grace is right on with her info. In my classes, though, they told us the would "prefer" us to lose 10%, but it's more of a recommendation and it's 5-10% they recommend. I agree to make sure your starting weight has been set...and I'm pretty sure that wasn't done until Class #1.

I think it's great you're making those changes now, as it should make it easier for you later. I've been doing the same thing. I need to focus in on things like drinking regularly and chewing more, though. After you do your testing (bloodwork etc), you'll find out if there's anything you MUST take during classes (I had to take a Vitamin D supplement, as I was deficient). They do recommend starting vitamins in class, to get in the habit of taking them. In class they went over what vitamins and amounts you need (pretty sure it was class 2, so you don't have to wait too long). I had begun doing that, bought what I needed (week planned out pill boxes and everything!) and then was instructed by my doctor to stop taking them while I was on the Vitamin D supp. Once I'm done with that, I'll get back into the vitamins.

Protein shakes: I'm going to copy this from a post I made on my other boards:

Protein Shake Guidelines
    1. Less than 200 calories
    2. 20-30g protein
    3. Less than 4g fat
    4. Less than 6g sugar
    5. 0 collagen

- Avoid collagen altogether, as your body does not digest this well
    - Whey protein is preferred, as it's the easiliest absorbed and has amino acids
    - Whey Isolate is the best protein, and has no lactose
    - Soy Isolate is the next best
    - If using as a meal replacement, eat with fruit (carbs)

Suggested Brands
    - Premier (premade, liquid. Get it at Costco.)
    - Nectar (powder, multiple flavors. Vitamin Shoppe.)
    - Isopure
    - EAS (widely available, grocery stores, Costco.)
    - Muscle Milk (widely available, grocery stores, Costco.)
    *Be sure to check labels to make sure they fit into the guidelines (Muscle Milk in particular, since there are multiple varieties).

Personally, I've tried EAS, Muscle Milk Light, and Premier (all in chocolate flavor). Muscle Milke Light was BY FAR my LEAST favorite. Tasted just ick, IMO. EAS was pretty good. A little chalky, but definitely not bad. Premier, so far, is by far my favorite. Tastes pretty close to chocolate milk!

Hope that helped some :]
    My Blog documenting my journey!
    Shedding the Past:
    http://sheddingthepast.blogspot.com

Youtube Channel-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SheddingThePast

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 363
    Began Journey with Insurance: 357
    Pre-Op: 340
    Day of Surgery: 336

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

Steph -

wow thank you for all the info! Sorry for the kate response, I am still trying to navigate all around this site. I can't thank you enough for all the info!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member HoneyAllen's Avatar
    Name
    Honey Allen
    Last Activity
    08-13-2013 12:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi,
    I think once you change your eating habits and your life style you will automatically lose weight.Your should avoid intake of more calorie food should. Do a lot of exercise like brisk walking, yoga and if you want then you can also go to the gym. All these activities will help you to reduce weight and am sure you would not require any kind of weight loss surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kay Black's Avatar
    Name
    Kay Black
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aaron Cernero
    Last Activity
    04-04-2013 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times
    Blog Entries

Ditto to everything that has been said, sounds like you are are the right track! Best of luck to you!

Surgery date
    12/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vernon
    Last Activity
    08-09-2023 10:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 102 Times

It sounds like you are ready to get this ball rolling! Could you start your pre-op classes sooner than April? I did not have a mandated pre-op waiting / class period, but I purposely am going slow because I wanted to make sure that I was really ready for things emotionally and physically before having surgery. I saw the surgeon in June, did my pre-op tests / NUT requirements in August and am having surgery in December. I've also lost 17 lbs since then. Could you start the classes now and get started on implementing some of those lifestyle changes, and then do the surgery when you are ready?

Check out my blog! http://thebariblogger.wordpress.com/

Height: 5'6"
    Highest Weight 6/12: 257 lbs
    Weight at start of pre-op diet 12/6/12: 241 lbs
    Surgery Weight 12/19/12: 228 lbs
    ONEderland! 2/12/13: 199lbs
    25 more to go! 5/21/13: 175lbs

Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fedorka
    Last Activity
    06-29-2017 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 114 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

*wonders if anyone who responded to this realizes that this thread is from February...* haha.

Haven't seen you around, Laura. Any updates?
    My Blog documenting my journey!
    Shedding the Past:
    http://sheddingthepast.blogspot.com

Youtube Channel-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SheddingThePast

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 363
    Began Journey with Insurance: 357
    Pre-Op: 340
    Day of Surgery: 336

Surgery date
    12/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vernon
    Last Activity
    08-09-2023 10:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 102 Times

Ha ha ha ha! Nope! I was just thinking, it sure is a long time from now until April!!!! Lol.

Check out my blog! http://thebariblogger.wordpress.com/

Height: 5'6"
    Highest Weight 6/12: 257 lbs
    Weight at start of pre-op diet 12/6/12: 241 lbs
    Surgery Weight 12/19/12: 228 lbs
    ONEderland! 2/12/13: 199lbs
    25 more to go! 5/21/13: 175lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member Justwander's Avatar
    Name
    Laurie
    Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Roslin
    Last Activity
    08-02-2014 09:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Steph- this post just made my night. I'm getting surgery next Tuesday and have not figured out protein drinks at all. Just today began looking for different ones but didn't know how to decide what to get. Tomorrow, I will set out again with your guidelines above. Thank you!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-17-2013 08:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You just need to be active, eat right, and drink a lot of water.Since 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound of fat, if you cut 500 calories from your typical diet each day, you'll lose approximately 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories).