03/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Lahmann
    Last Activity
    08-15-2019 10:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Seriously Considering, but is this REALLY long term?

I have spent the past hour reading the posts on here, and it is such a great feeling to know that there is an amazing support group on this site!! Everyone is very encouraging, and I have found answers to many of my questions, but I still do have a few before I commit.

I understand that there is a honeymoon phase and that this is for the rest of your life, but the sleeve can be stretched out, correct? Therefore, is this surgery good for the long run, if you do what you are supposed to do? What is the point of the surgery if the stomach is stretched and you gain the weight back? Again, I know that this is up to the person, but will this just be another failed "diet"?

My second concern is that this surgery is fairly new... does anyone know anybody that has had it 10+ years ago? I am only 23, and am nervous that there is not enough to know about the long-term side effects.

Finally, what about pregnancy? I know you should not get pregnant at least 1 year post-op, but has anyone had an awful pregnancy due to surgery factors?

Again, thanks so much for all of your input and advice!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Seriously Considering, but is this REALLY long term?

Your sleeve will not stretch. You would have to work really really hard with chronic overeating behavior to get it to stretch even a little bit, and even then it wouldn't even come close to the size of your stomach before surgery. It is normal, however, for your stomach tissue to relax a bit after your initial postop swollen sleeve heals. I personally could eat twice as much at 6 months as 3 months and twice as much at 12 months than at 6 months. I probably reached my max capacity at 14 months and can eat anywhere from 4-8 oz at a time without feeling uncomfortable.

And yes, you can gain all of your weight back with this or ANY WLS. it's quite easy, actually. All you have to do is eat too much or too often or the wrong stuff. For example, I could eat 4oz of ice cream or chips or peanut butter or cheesecake or French toast or French fries 6-8 times/day and easily gain back the 100 pounds I lost. Yes, this is a lifetime commitment and you will fight your personal food demons and cravings and head hunger for the rest of your life. Having long term weightloss success is so much more than the surgery itself. It's about making good choices every single day. It's about developing new habits and new coping mechanisms. It's about not using food to express or hide from emotions. A lot of people can't do it on their own and seek counseling or see a therapist and that's OK. It truly takes 100% commitment to a new lifestyle. But I don't consider ANY of these changes as negative or as a deterrent to having surgery. This new life is TOTALLY worth any discomfort or inconvenience I've experienced.

Although VSG has only been performed as a weightloss surgery for a few years, they have actually been doing total and partial gastrectomies on cancer and ulcer patients for over a 100 years. There are a lot of long term studies on these patients and they go on to live long, healthy, normal lives. There are several studies that pinpointed certain nutritional deficiencies that developed over the first 10-20 years, but proper supplementation and annual bloodwork to monitor will prevent these issues. I'd say GERD and constipation are the two most common "side effects" of VSG that I've read about. Personally, I didn't develop reflux, but I take an occasional antacid when I get a sour tummy. And getting in plenty of fiber has helped me with regular BM's.

Can't help you with the pregnancy thing, other than I've read about a lot of formerly obese women who were finally able to get pregnant and have healthy babies after losing weight. I certainly wouldnt jump into getting pregnant until you are totally stable and comfortable with your new lifestyle, and your doctor gives you a thumbs up, though.

Name
    Candi
    Surgery date
    11/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Paul Macik
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 09:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

The sleeve is long term as long as you make the long term commitment. The sleeve only helps you to eat less so you need to do all of the other work in making sure you eat healthy foods. I'm two years post sleeve and still make daily decisions on what to eat and not to eat. I also do not eat until I feel full and definitely don't allow myself to get stuffed. Sure there are times when I wish I could just eat whatever I want in a huge quantity but I take a minute to remember how I felt and how unhealthy I was two years ago and the taste of that food I'm wanting is never worth ruining what I have overcome.
    My weight at start of my 2 week pre-op diet was 232
    My weight on the morning of surgery was 221

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi!! I'm just about a year out. From everything I've learned I believe that for me the sleeve was my best option. My surgeon doesn't do lap bands anymore because the band slipping and needing adjustment is a pain.
    For pregnancy, I've been told by my surgeon that they recommend waiting a year. This may be because it takes a while for us to get back to normal in needing nutrients for us before sharing with a baby.
    As for stretching, I have had people tell me that they know someone who was sleeved or had bypass and gained all their weight back, plus some. As of today, a week away from one year post op, that would truly be hard for me to do. I would have to make bad choices and be OK with going back to size 18. I'm not OK with that
    My favorite food was chocolate. I could eat 2 bags of Hershey kisses no problem. Now? I don't even want chocolate. At a party I tried a piece of my hubby's chocolate cake.....it was waaaayyyy too sweet. If you have carbs then your gonna want carbs, if you stop eating candy for 2 weeks your body will no longer crave it.
    This is ultimately your decision, this is not a diet. This is a whole new lifestyle and while the results are awesome it can be hard at times. The 1st 3 weeks post surgery were the hardest for me. I didn't have a pre op diet so I ate everything up until the day before surgery. After being sleeved I had a reaction to anastasia, threw up for first 48hrs. Had to stay in hospital for 4 days, spent new years there. The 3 weeks post op were hard. No food, all I wanted to do was chew. I was sore, bending down sucked, but at the 3 week mark I was starting to exercise. The first few months I was constipated, felt really full after 2 bites, made the mistake of drinking too much after eating.....had to lay down for 45min.... but those were my only complaints. Today, I'm back to normal. Normal BMs, eat the same as everyone else just only 4oz.
    But last Christmas I was 255lbs, size 18
    This christmas I'm 130lbs. Size 2
    I wouldn't change anything. And I feel confident that I won't go back to where I was. It feels nice to walk up stairs and chase my kids around without gasping for air
    Whatever you choose, good luck to you!
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

The sleeve can be stretched out but never like it was before and it takes a lot of over eating to do this. After seeing the results of the sleeve done on cancer patients it was used as a 1st step to getting the bypass for those who were extremely over weight and having the bypass 2st could be life threatening so they were given the sleeve to bring down their BMI and help them adjust to new eating habits and portion sizes without causing them to die from malnutrition. After their BMI was lowered they usually had the bypass within 2 years of the sleeve. I am so glad to see you r asking questions, it is always better to be well informed and not be blind to the process.

Good luck

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

Julie92, I had some of your concerns and 'for life' made me really take time in making my decision. I'm 10 months out and I've lost 90 pounds. I can honestly say it has been easy. Even with the surgery you still must watch what you eat, count calories, count carbs, and fats because that's what it takes to lose and maintain. I didn't have the surgery to lose weight but help with maintenance. I've always been successful with weight loss but failed at maintenance. From my heaviest I lost more than a hundred pounds, had 50 to go and gained 50 back. I lost and gained the same 50 for 10 years. I don't see how you could stretch your stomach to the pre surgery size unless you focused on not following the rules and totally abused your new stomach.

I do know people who gained their weight back after having surgery. What I see when I observe them is that they drink their calories in soda, sweet tea, shakes, malts, and alcohol. They never monitored their nutrition intake and thought that just because they could eat less they would lose and maintain the weight loss. They never considered even a small bite can contain loads of calories. I even had one person state they could eat a happy meal from McD's and sounded happy. I've watched them drink entire jugs of juice. You can out eat the sleeve if you're careless.

My biggest fear is maintenance because this has been my failure in the past. My doctor told me to follow the rules when losing weight and read as much as I could about maintaining my loss and have a plan when I got to my goal weight. I'm 5 pounds away and working with the dietitian I have a sound plan. It involves diet, exercise and monitoring.

I'm past having kids so I didn't have any concerns about pregnancies. I recommend you talk to your OBGYN they will be able to give you the best advice regarding WLS and having a baby. Also meet with your primary care physician. I did to discuss benefits to my health and the long term effects of having a smaller stomach. As mentioned in an earlier post altering the stomach and intestines is not new and has been used to treat cancer patients for quite some time with excellent results.

The health benefits are real for losing weight.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

Stretching is probably not the main issue. The main issue is that over time old habits creep in. You would be surprised how many calories you can "sneak in" once you are a few years post op. the honeymoon is over, day to day life is what it is, all those things.

I have known people who have had complete regain plus a few with any surgery type (except DS, but that is because I don't know as many of them I guess!). The key is YOUR long term committment.

I view it this way; I could not have lost significant weight without the sleeve.
    I could not have gotten to goal (lost 150#) without significant effort from ME
    I would not be maintaining at goal, without ongoing diligence and monitoring from ME
    but, none of this would have been possible without the sleeve.

I had a failed lapband removed in Sept 2011; Sleeve done December 2011. I made it to goal Feb 2013 and have been maintaining since.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I am one year out today, I can eat a small hamburger, I typically eat a sausage burrito for breakfast, one of those on the $1 menu from McDonald's. I eat some chicken or other meat for lunch, and something for dinner. I eat a small dish of ice cream most days. I drink a LOT of isopure protein drink.

I really have zero appetite, I eat because I know I need to. I can very easily skip meals, all day would be easy for me to skip eating. I just don't have much of an appetite.

I can't speak for anything after 365 days personally, but to this point, this is where I am. I am back to the weight I was when I was running in and out of Iraq in the military. That was my goal, I am as strong as I was then, but do not have the running ability I did then, 25 years ages a body.

Doc says my blood work looks great, blood pressure is great, in all healthy as a horse. I am content.

Some days, when I am doing the self pity thing, I wish I could eat more, but that is all in my head, and I don't do that often. But it is there from time to time. No one ask why I eat so little, when GF and I go to dinner we split a entree. No one notices, or cares.

Life is pretty good.... congrats on your decisions... I hope your journey is as good, or better, than mine!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Annette Powell
    Surgery date
    01/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-27-2016 07:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 635 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 279 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my Sleeve almost a year out and i'm doing great! I weigh EVERY day because that is just what I do to keep me where I am... I do eat what ever I want but MUCH MUCH less... but as for stretching your stomach out i do believe you can do that because my dear friend did and gained back 70 lbs and chose to be "RE-Sleeved" 4 months ago with my same doctor I used in Tawana, but due to her stomach being so thin she had several leeks and almost died there before returning home only to be in the ICU for 8 days just barley hanging on to life!!! the Doctor that did her sleeve here in the states the first time saved her life and preformed a Gastric By-Pass to save her!! She wore a vacuum thing on the wound for 3 months to heal her from the inside out!!! and since all this happened out of US my friend has to pay all out of her pocket!!!! $500,000 plus..... I say this to tell you, this is a life change and to get your head wrapped around the thought process that if your not willing to change your old ways of eating way too much food or the wrong foods yes it can happen....Because this was my dear friend and she thought my doctor did such a good job and he offered "Re-Sleeved" she thought she had another way out!!!! I hope I didn't scare you to bad but this is a big deal and I for one wont go back to the old size 16-18 ever again! I love this side of Sleeved but we have to be careful it will come back if we aren't careful....

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Lahmann
    Last Activity
    08-15-2019 10:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I cannot thank you all for the quick and detailed responses. The support here is incredible. The time that you take to answer each questions means so much. I have decided to continue the pre-op testing, so you will be hearing from me often. My surgery should be the beginning of March. Again, thank you and have a great Christmas!!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Salem Surgical Group
    Last Activity
    12-27-2015 08:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I"m 4 years po and pregnant. One of my close friends was surprised to find out she was pregnant in less than 3 months. She was 43 and thought she was unable. If a surprise pregnancy should occur then your doctors would be monitoring you highly. She still lost weight but the sleeve apparently cleared up her fertility issue.

Its not recommended to get pregnant within the first year. However to say that it does not happen will be untruthful. I don't know the risks so to be proactively trying may not be in your best interest. Besides, being much thinner and pregnant will give you a healthier pregnancy, a easier path to losing the baby weight and a much better experience overall. Its worth the wait I believe. The first year post op goes by fast! Enjoy your body!

I'm only 6 weeks. Compared to my pregnancy before my vsg so far Its pretty good. I crave protein shakes and veggies (some fruits) more than anything else. I'm losing weight because I'm eating better and I'm doing aquatics. Ive been eating more since I conceived out of cravings alone and I look much better already and i feel great. I have been on a two year stall after gaining 25lbs. I prayed for some motivation and here I am.

My eating has been the same for the past couple of years. I can eat what i want, so my issue is better choices. Watch your alcohol and carb intake. Also be aware of dehydration; lack of water will also stump your weight loss success.

I don't know anyone personally with 10 years experience. I'll be 5 years and 40 years old next year with a baby. Its been a sweet ride for me

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member LaffeyTaffey's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    02-24-2021 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 288 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Well I was going to reply with all sorts of great information, but I see that a lot of people have said what I was about to type That's great! So yes the sleeve CAN be stretched, but not much at all, became the stretchy part of the stomach is removed during the surgery. You'd have to constantly make yourself uncomfortable by over eating, for a long time.
    Yes with any large amount of weight loss comes the fact that we become fertile mertiles. So get on a serious BC if you'd like to get this surgery. Personally, I'm on the mirena because it's by far the most effective and it lasts for 3 years! Perfect for me there are a few women on here who've had a baby after having the surgery and everything was fine. I'm sure they're just monitored closely like a diabetic pregnant woman would be.
    Good luck in your decision! I researched this surgery for over 3 years before having it done and man was it worth the wait!!!

Weight Loss:
    6 Month Requirement with Nut = 41 pounds
    1st mo = 19 pds
    2nd mo = 19 pds
    3rd mo = 9 pds
    4th mo = 16 pds
    5th mo = 11 pds
    6th mo = 9 pds
    7th mo = 4 pds
    8th mo = 1 pd (bad food choices)
    9th mo = 4 pds
    10th mo = 3 pds
    11th mo = 3 pds
    12th mo = 4 pds
    13th Mo = 3 pds

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

3.5 years out now - got down way too thin to 98 pounds so I had to force myself to get up to 110 - 115. I've stayed there since I gained some back. I eat 6 - 8 small meals and I think that's actually a key to things and some days I eat crap and some days I eat good stuff. Just had a slice of pizza for a late lunch and feel like I used to when I ate an entire large one. I just found out my hypothyroidism is spiraling out of control. I have had this for 30 years and never paid too much attention til I just had no energy at all. They put me on levothyroxine and within a month I gained 9 pounds - told the doctor to go .... well never mind - let's just say I changed doctors when he told me to start eating healthier. Um did you not see my chart that I have had the sleeve - how dare you blame me and not the meds? I went off the meds and within 3 weeks lost the 9 pounds plus 2 more. I am not on Armour/NatuThroid and love it - no weight gain. But then after that got stabilized my last blood work shows diabetes so just shoot me... not bad enough to take meds or insulin so I am watching it all closely and hoping it was just a fluke of those labs done. I know 4 or 5 people that have had it done and lost 1/3 of what they wanted to and just stopped. When I am out with them I see them drinking soda and just shake my head. Apparently the American doctors tell them it's ok for them to drink.. dunno. I honestly don't think that the US doctors cut enough of the stomachs out like the ones in Mexico do. Might just be a coincidence but every person I know who had theirs done in TJ are still thin - all of the ones who did it in the US either didn't lose what they wanted or did and then they gained it all back.

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by azladyrider View Post
    I know 4 or 5 people that have had it done and lost 1/3 of what they wanted to and just stopped. When I am out with them I see them drinking soda and just shake my head. Apparently the American doctors tell them it's ok for them to drink.. dunno. I honestly don't think that the US doctors cut enough of the stomachs out like the ones in Mexico do. Might just be a coincidence but every person I know who had theirs done in TJ are still thin - all of the ones who did it in the US either didn't lose what they wanted or did and then they gained it all back.
    Interesting.... I wonder how much of this observation can be attributed to self pay vs insurance. I've always wanted to see a study that compares the success rate/%EWL short term/%EWL long term for people that have paid for the surgery themselves vs those that are covered by insurance. As for me, it wasn't just my entire savings account on the line, I had to take responsibility for educating myself, researching the procedure, selecting my surgeon and making all of the scheduling and travel arrangements, setting up postop care with my PCP, and forming a diet plan once past the immediate postop recovery food stages. No one was looking over by shoulder or holding my hand through any of it. Whatever it was, if I didn't take care of it, it didn't get done. I took it incredibly serious that my success or failure was 100% my responsibility. I didn't expect anyone to tell me what to do or how to do it. Does this translate into a better long term outcome over a patient that has had a bariatric team to walk them through the steps and who has no financial repercussions for failure? I don't know.

I don't want to turn this into an us vs them thing, because I know anyone who goes through insurance also has a hundred hoops to jump through to get approved. Theoretically all the information seminars and nut visits and psych evals and bariatric counseling should make them BETTER prepared and thus more likely to succeed. I just think it would make for an interesting research study.

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

I have often wondered about that too. Thanks Kindle. I will add one thought, I had a band and was self pay ($16,00.00 Canadian private clinic)

I think I was very motivated, only lost about half excess and started gaining. MMMMM I am at 3.5 years and it is a bit harder now but my sleeve reminds me to eat small and healthy. Big improvement .

25. Said thanks: