Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    10-13-2016 09:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Sometimes I feel out of control

Hi everyone, I got sleeved 4 years ago (I can't believe it) and I gained 15lbs back. I noticed that my stomach has stretched out within the last 6 months. I think i stretched my stomach out by eating too fast and drinking while eating. Before the surgery I thought about food a lot. After surgery mentally I felt so relieved that I could go hrs without thinking I have to eat. I would even have to remind myself to eat. After 2 years I feel as my stomach stretched my mind is on food more but not as much as pre sleeve. I now work from home for the past 2 years and I realize I think about food much more.

If I am out and about I don't feel out of control. Please help if anyone has experienced this any advice would help. Also, has anyone noticed getting weak while working out post sleeve?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sometimes I feel out of control

You've done something right obviously! Who is your avatar pic!?! I dream of abs like that! When I work with DV clients I ask them to recall a time when things where good. They felt safe and productive. Often they will go into detail of things they felt they were doing right. I am approaching my weight loss journey somewhat the same. I'm reaching out to those tools that have made me successful in the past, exercise and a healthy and nutritious diet have always been a good start for me. As a case manager, I have learned that self-care is very important if I am to be effective in my client service. Before self-care would look like a day off, and eating comfort foods. Today, my self care includes meditation, reading for fun, long walks, often prayers, developming a sense of gratitude, being mindful of my words and actions, forgiveness. This rolls over to honing in on stress management skills. I have to be mindful of these four anchors ⚓️ in my weight loss surgery journey. Always being mindful that the sleeve is my guiding light and ultimate anchor or pillar.

My hope is that as I get farther out in my WLS these will become second nature. If not I do hope someone will remind me of these.

So imho take a moment to reflect and get back to basics. Also if you think your sleeved is stretched, have you done the cottage cheese test? I have read Kindle suggest that many times.

You have done amazingly well, and I am certain that you will beat these fifteen pounds in no time!

✨Hugs!✨
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member j_davenport's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Landerholm
    Last Activity
    09-21-2020 01:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 53 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

If that is you in your avatar, you look fantastic!!

I think that in time and with healing all of our stomachs have stretched a bit, and by stretch I mean we can eat more than we did when we were first sleeved. Kindle has a cottage cheese test to see what capacity your sleeve is, I'm sure she'll chime in, she's got a lot of great advice.

What struck me the most about what you said though isn't about the amount of food you can eat at a time, but that when you're at home (and for the last 2 years you're there all the time since you work there too) you feel out of control and think about food a lot. This, to me, sounds like you're bored. You have easy access and idle hands so to speak. I suggest getting back on track and only allowing yourself to eat at regularly scheduled meal times, no snacks, cut your carbs and sugar (I'm guessing this is what you think about eating) and the cravings will lessen. When you get the cravings in between...water...water...water. In no time. the 15lbs will be gone, you will know that your sleeve still works, and you'll better be able to stay focused and on track because you won't be chasing the tail of the last cookie you just swallowed.

Brightest Blessings and Best Wishes on You Journey!

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

First of all 15 pounds isn't much compared to what you lost. Just get back to following the sleeve rules, and you'll be fine.

I'm almost at the 3 year mark (Friday!) and yes I can eat more than before. I don't think my sleeve has stretched, because when I eat what I should, like chicken for example, I still get full quickly. But stuff like candy, cake, chips, etc. will slide right through, no problem. I don't think it's the stomach that changed, I think it's us. As formerly fat people, we will always have to struggle to make the right choices. Good luck! I feel I've been able to maintain my weight, now that I know I eat more than before, by weighing myself daily and exercising a lot.

As far as feeling weak while working out, I had that start at about 18 months. I would be on my typical walk and all of a sudden feel like I was trying to walk through water, just no energy to hardly move another step. (And I am an avid walker/runner, so I am definitely not out of shape or anything.) My nutritionist advised a protein/carb snack before every workout, and it has helped. The last time it happened (just a week or so ago) I had to stop and think what I had eaten. A diet coke and a candy bar on the way home from school. 3 years and I still make stupid choices sometimes and struggle to LEARN MY LESSON.

Good luck, we're all in the same boat! We just keep paddling!

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Thank you for sharing your journey experience.

Best of luck as you continue your journey!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member thinnhealthy's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you, you're right I'm going to write down everything I did before and place it on the refrigerator. i also used to meditate and practice positive thinking deliberately and now I think I make stress get the best of me. That is not me in my avatar but my dream body haha I guess I should remove it.

13. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, 15 lbs isn't a lot but I need to get it together and take control before i gain anymore. This is good advice all this time I was thinking it was my low iron making me weak after workouts but then I remembered a few days ago that I've been anemic since as long as I can remember and used to work out really hard sometimes twice a day prior to gaining weight (pre sleeve). I will start eating before my workouts now and see how it goes. You said protein/carbs do you mean eat something containing both or one or the other.

Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

That's not me in the avatar I wish haha! That's my dream body! You're spot on with me being bored and having way too much time on my hands it's like I'm entertaining myself with food. I just looked up the cottage cheese test this will be hard because I don't eat dairy but I'll do it for this test. I used to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks small and healthy now I just eat every time I think about it even sometimes when I'm thirsty.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't remove your avatar! She is inspiring!

I am not my avatar either lol! But I strive to someday soon have my daughters take my picture doing a head stand I can actually do for more than five seconds.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

18. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My nut wants me to eat protein AND carbs as a snack before working out. It really has helped. Just something like a protein bar has protein and carbs. I'm not diabetic, but it has something to do with sugars.

20. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Ok thanks! I'm going to try that. I'm prediabetic but have been able to bring my numbers down by eating more green veggies and cutting my excessive snacking.

Surgery date
    09/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Washington
    Last Activity
    07-31-2020 04:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

i am in the same boat as you! I am 3 years out and find that I can eat so much more. My eating habits are outta control and I have gained about 14lbs and its stressing me out big time! My pitfall is eating at night and I dont know how to stop it. I need to get back on track.. I can totally relate!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck to you, thinnhealthy and florabug, as you tackle these later-term challenges.

I'm only 2 years, 2 months post-op, so am still coasting along fine. But I've also heard that the years to come can be challenging for some of us who've been successful in losing / maintaining up to that point.

I like sraebaer's suggestion of giving yourself the nutrition you need for exercise. I also like the suggestions that you improve your home eating environment (especially for those who are at home all day long).

My only (possibly useful) contribution is that when I started this journey I committed to three years of therapy after WLS, which I named "the year of losing weight, the year of maintaining weight, and the year of boring real life." Although Year Three isn't actually "boring" yet, you get my drift -- I want to keep the pressure on myself to continue this new lifestyle I've built that's been working for me. I also respect that longer-term success may require some changes to my strategies. I guess I'll find out what those are -- for me.

I wish for courage and success for us ALL!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

24. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I understand! I eat more dense foods for dinner so that I am full and can't eat late anymore. Unless it's that time of the month.

Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

That's a good idea basically keeping goals. After a while you think it will be easy and normal eating habits until the old mind set creeps back up.