Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I'm starting to be a loser again!

Okay. So I'm still here. I'm not on the board as much as I used to be (I was off and on all day, every day) but I'm still here posting more than I have in years. I'm posting to help people and posting to keep myself honest. I'm also tracking food in MFP which I used to never do but it's keeping me honest. Once I get my plan figured out again and work the plan, I can relax on the constant tracking. But for now, I do need that documentation so I can know for a fact that what I am putting in my body is good for its weight loss.
    When I lost post WLS, I ate almost no carbs. I can't really remember exactly what I ate or what my routine was because it's been almost 5 years but I do remember that I never had room for carbs after my protein first. I rarely had room for the veggies. So, I'm back to that. I've always done protein first but left room for carbs. Well, right now in this phase of starting over they've simply got to go.
    I've cut WAY back on the wine this week. I had one glass yesterday while I was getting a mani/pedi. I made sure to track it and couldn't believe I actually didn't go over the amount of carbs I'm allowing myself a day. That doesn't mean I'm going to work a glass of wine into my meal plan each day because I know where that will lead. What's important is that I kept track of it and I'm not beating myself up over it at all.
    I started back with no starch or processed carbs on Monday and have already lost 2lbs. It's only water, but still! It's 2lbs! I get to change my ticker. Going down is definitely the right direction. We're supposed to lose .5 - 2lbs a week and I've lost 2 in 2 days. I'm feeling a bit lethargic because the carb crash has kicked in but I'll push through it and be good and full of energy by Friday.
    I'm also proud to say I've worked out 3 times this week. I went 45 minutes on the elliptical Sunday and 35 Monday morning at 5am. Damn, that was a LONG 35 minutes but I did it. Yesterday I did as many sets of 25 squats as I could in 30 minutes but I'm feeling a bit weak without carbs right now. I did what I could and I'm proud of it.
    In a nutshell, I'm feeling like things are pretty good right now. I haven't gone off the rails yet. I'm feeling great even though I'm in carb crash mode. That just lets me know it's working. Once I kick this carb addiction I'll be golden and right back on track to rock star status. I've got thin pics of me everywhere so I'm keeping my eyes on the prize. Having my goal right in front of me really keeps me motivated. It's a definite deterrent to eating things that don't align with my goals.
    I'm just so thankful I took the first step in getting back on this board and keeping myself honest. I'm happy I've reached out to my cheerleaders because they helped me so much along my journey. Well, this is my new journey and they're still here for me! I'm on my way and I feel great about it. I haven't been proud of myself in so long and it really is a great feeling. So thanks everyone for your support so far. It means so much to me and really will keep me on track.
    From the bottom of my heart, thank you to all who are encouraging me. Ya'll are my rocks.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm starting to be a loser again!

I've read all of your latest postings and I admire your honesty and commitment!
    Although I don't know you (yet) I will be cheering you on!
    You go for it!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jefferson Vaughan
    Last Activity
    07-07-2019 09:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 449 Times

This is such great news!!! It sounds like you are definitely on the path again, Congratulations ���� and the exercise too, you are doing great! I need to get to work and start walking ...I’m falling short on my exercise goals.

1 month-219 lbs (-25)

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

This all sounds as though it is going to plan. Well done you!
    Keep up the good work :-)

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

You've really jumped in and grabbed this! Way to go! I'm not surprised you're already making progress. Well done, and kudos for being here to encourage other people!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Every great adventure starts with the first step in the right direction!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    07-12-2018 10:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can I ask if you had fallen off the wagon? I’m almost 4 years post op and have spiraled. I have luckily only gained 25 or so lbs (which I know isn’t great) but I feel like it could be worse.

I’ve dropped the ball. I’m almost 4 years post op and am gaining. I’m probably up 25-30 of the 80 I’ve lost. I’m disappointed and disgusted with myself. I am here for help and support to get back on track.
    Has anyone experienced this and got back on track? I’m considering the post-op diet (pouch reset) to kickstart and get back on track. Does this work?

I’m desperate and ashame

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LLS View Post
    Can I ask if you had fallen off the wagon? I’m almost 4 years post op and have spiraled. I have luckily only gained 25 or so lbs (which I know isn’t great) but I feel like it could be worse.

I’ve dropped the ball. I’m almost 4 years post op and am gaining. I’m probably up 25-30 of the 80 I’ve lost. I’m disappointed and disgusted with myself. I am here for help and support to get back on track.
    Has anyone experienced this and got back on track? I’m considering the post-op diet (pouch reset) to kickstart and get back on track. Does this work?

I’m desperate and ashame
    First of all, don't be ashamed. You had 85% of your stomach removed so you would lose weight. You were not on a diet. Therefore, as the mantra goes "You are not on a diet, so you cannot fail at a diet". You have not failed. Don't give up. See this gain for what it is and turn it around. You know how to lose weight because you did it before and you CAN do it again. You just have to stop with the guilt, shame, and feelings of despair and trust me, I know all about those because I've been feeling that way for 2 years. All they did was make me wallow in self pity and gain more weight which led to more depression, and so on and so forth. I started gaining weight back in 2016 and from 2016 to now regained 60lbs. I won't say I fell off the wagon because without having been on a diet, there is no wagon. It's just life. I fell away from my life and my new lifestyle that I SO loved. I had personal problems and depression and basically drank my way around my sleeve with empty calories that got WAY out of control and got me where I am now. BUT - this can be reversed. I've still got my sleeve and so do you. You just have to get your head back in the right place so you can be proud of yourself by taking ownership of your situation and committing to making a change. Committing is something to be proud of. Replace the shame and despair with commitment and pride and just return to the healthy lifestyle you chose to lead when you got your sleeve. It's still there. It still works. You haven't regained all of your weight back and that's a huge accomplishment. A lot of people do! You've realized early that you need to lose weight. So just do it. You've got the tool and the knowledge and definitely the support on this board. Having 25 - 30 lbs to lose is MUCH more doable than 80. You're still at a 63% loss from your original loss. That's awesome for someone who is 4 years out!!! You lost 80lbs!! You can definitely lose 25 - 30. Just go easy on yourself, don't beat yourself up anymore - STOP IT - and be proud you didn't gain more. Don't worry about a pouch reset. Just go back to basics. It may not come off as fast this time but it WILL come off if you use your sleeve the way it is intended to be used. Just be kind to yourself, be proud of yourself, listen to your body, and you will get there.

Take care and good luck!!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Surgery date
    05/05/2016
    Last Activity
    08-14-2018 02:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you for not giving up!
    Keep up the good work :-)