Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Question Vets? How much carbs daily?

I use my handy dandy My fitness pal and keep everything recorded in it. i have been to the NUT and somehow missed this tidbit.
    One of the WINNERS on this forum told how she had 15 carbs daily..oh my..i certainly do not do that (not that I am on loads of carbs, but just oatmeal has more than that)
    how many carbs do you have? or do you count calories?

Thanks just wanting to know what to shoot for..
    I know..PROTEIN first, other things second..i know that one..but how much carbs??

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr perugini
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 02:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Question Vets? How much carbs daily?

My nut told me when I get to the final stage that I should take in no more than 800 calories and no more than 50 carbs

5. Said thanks:

Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Blog Entries

thanks for the info..gotta start looking closer at those carbs!

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Not all carbs are created equal.
    The whole grain ones and complex carbohydrates are better for you, but it doesn't mean you should avoid the simple carbohydrates forever.
    Carbohydrates are needed for the glucose, the details of how carbs, proteins, etc. are digested, broken down and how they aid the body's cells so we function as an organism is pretty complex -it makes my brain hurt reading the very technical information, I guess I need a Snicker's bar .

Here is a link to the CDC's article on this topic (there are much better and more scientific explanations out there).
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/carbs.html

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Looks like you teed one up for good old tinman......

What I am about to type is my opinion. My opinion is derived 100% from my own experiences. I am 4 months shy of 3 years post op and lost my weight in a very specific and calculated manner. My way worked for me, it's worked for others, but it is not the only way to do this. What you won't get from me is a bunch of stuff that I've read and heard concerning the proper nutritional plan post op. By the way, there is no proper nutritional plan post op. Why? Because each of us is different. One size definitely does not fit all in post op life. What you'll get from me is real world, practical, advice on how to navigate in a non sleeved world with a sleeve.

JoePoppa is correct about carbs and their interaction with your body. The relationship is complex, but, actually easy to manipulate. Your body needs carbs, fat and protein to survive. Deprive it of any of those and you will stall, stall often, and stay stalled. However, you will lose weight. Just very slowly and this will absolutely wreck your mind. You'll lose 3-5 lbs every three to four weeks and those who tailor make their own plan will lose 20 lbs a month. This board is littered with the left overs of folks that are so invested in doing it someone else's way that they can't see the forest for the trees.

So, in a nutshell, I am advocating that you figure this out for yourself. It's ok to ask for advice. It's not ok to blindly follow anything I tell you or anyone else tells you. Your body will tell you how many carbs and fat a day you need to keep your metabolism ramped up to the point where it burns the fuel you give it and then dips into reserves (stored fat) to supplement. That's how you lose. You don't lose by depriving, you lose by manipulating. I know that flies in the face of everything we have been told in the past, but, it's a fact of life post op. Again, there are those who have lost their weight quickly by depriving. That's a great example of what I always preach. Each of us is different and each of us needs to find that plan that works best for us. So, your plan, your results.

I think the one thing that is universal amongst all who have reached goal and maintained is the fact that we all have to make do in a non sleeved world. I determined that I would rather learn how to eat the foods I like in a way that keeps me from gaining. I am gaming the sleeve instead of letting it game me.

So, in my most humble opinion, the sooner you learn what it takes to keep your metabolism ramped up, the sooner you get on with the business of losing and maintaining post op. I'll be glad to help you. You can pm me and I promise to answer back.

Ann2 is another one you might want to look into. She did her losing 180 degrees differently than I did, but, she a big old effing loser. She's also a rock star. I know she'll help if asked.

Read the posts by Jessiejess, Marvinator, Little Verbena and Dawnrogers7. Jess and Dawnie took my plan and adapted it to their lifestyle and rocked the house. Marvinator was a lot more disclipined in his approach. Little Verbena just plain old did it her way. All of these folks are good people and I know for a fact that they will help. Hell, Dawnie met with a couple of folks from the board who are pre op and gave them advice on how to be the best they can be post op. She took time out of her life to help someone she didn't even know and agreed to meet them in person to do it. I've done the same.

This board is a wonderful place for validation, support and love. Every other post is unicorns farting rainbows and (((((HUGS)))). Me, I'm where you come for real world advice, frank, no bs evaluation, support and a really big, swift, kick in the ass if you need it.

Good luck to you. However, if you do your homework, luck has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't count carbs. :-O
    Nope, not really. I set my calories at 1000, protein to 80g and balanced the rest in MFP (fat and carbs equally, because I had to put something in there). Always ate between 1000-1200 calories while losing and tried to lay off the SIMPLE carbs, but didn't focus too much on it. Cardio 5xper week, (about 45 min on a bike at home), nothing excessive, just regular movement. Worked for me and still is. If I slip outside my maintenance zone even a little, I re-focus on the plan above, (such as it is).

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    05-01-2017 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 140 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,740 Times
    Blog Entries

If I may slip my thoughts in on the topic - I am only 14 months out and have lost 100% of my weight - I have carbs but do not count them. I am however mindful that the slider foods can throw a huge wrench into the bucket if you are not careful. I myself am a boredom eater and with that knowledge I must keep myself in check at all times. It is so easy to fall back into familiar, comfortable patterns.
    Tinman is my go to for any information or questions that I have had in the past. For me he is better than the NY Times for Sleeve information (and perhaps up and coming cocktails of the day lol)
    I think first and foremost if you are the type to 'track your food and you are comfortable doing that - then do it. I have taken on the mantra of the Tin by not treating this like a diet and have actually had a rocking first year. It is the first year in my 58 that I have not 'dieted'. I do not weigh myself, I eat or taste what I want. This surgery is no miracle fix but it is a miracle if you stay on track and are mindful Sending good wishes your way for a healthy and happy life

Every journey begins with one small step....

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

I love crackers. High priced or from the dollar store, it doesn't matter. I lost weight eating them, but knew they were a slippery slope for me. I can eat a whole sleeve! I don't buy them anymore because they're not a good source of carbs. But my real point is something Ann2 said about reflux. She said too much acid can imitate hunger which, for me, makes me nervous and want to eat to keep it down. I was eating crackers, and other things, because of reflux and a nervous stomach. Since taking Prilosec 1-3 times a day, I've been able to stay on track SO much better and don't crave carbs anymore! I can actually see myself losing the last 5 pounds....that I don't actually need to lose, but I like round numbers.

But if I'm at a party....pass the cake!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jennifermeske's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/19/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergi Verboonen
    Last Activity
    08-30-2017 09:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Love this information, I was wondering the same thing. Thanks.
    current weight 222.2
    presurgery 240
    day of surgery 235.6

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kemmeter
    Last Activity
    01-19-2020 05:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Here is my two cents...........
    As others have said, what works for you/me may not work for someone else. So like tinman said find what works for you and go with it. That said, here is what is working for me at this point in my journey. I am at around 1200 cal.s per day (keep in mind I am a large male. so you may have to adjust accordingly). My calories consist of 35% protein (protein shakes, meat, fish and legumes) 35% carbs (mostly from fruit) and 30% fat (mostly nut butters). I have been using this combination with myfitnesspal and have had consistant weight loss of around 5 lbs./week since adhering to it. I tried the low/no carb low fat approach and my body would go through stalls. The 35/35/30 approach works for me. Yes I may have to change it up at some point but for now it is what is working. Good luck!
    “Once you have established the goals you want and the price you’re willing to pay, you can ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure and the temporary failures.” - Vince Lombardi

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member missemily516's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    12/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Channing Chin
    Last Activity
    02-03-2017 04:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't count or track. I eat oatmeal for breakfast on a regular basis. I make sure I eat protein every day, and also eat fruits and veggies. Most of the time I turn away from slider foods and sweets, although if I want it I have it. Other than that, I just have to make sure I eat enough. A few times a month I get dizzy or start seeing spots behind my eyes, then I know I am not eating enough and I up my intake. So far it has worked for me. This is a lifestyle not a diet, so as long as my primary source of nutrition is protein and I drink enough water then I'm good.
    "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms"

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    01/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Meng- g Martin, Lee Dr.
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree 100% with everything you said. I followed the Drs. plan to a T and at first I was losing and then the dreaded stall. After a little playing around I realized what MY body needed to make it work. I need carbs (the good, the bad, and the ugly period), and if I am working out I need 1000 calories. If I don't then again I stall. I was told to stay under 800 and that just wasn't cutting it. I played with it for 3 weeks and logged it. It helped me to figure out what worked and what didn't. Best of luck to you.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I think they said 800 calories while losing and 1000 at maintenance but I never counted calories. I know mostly protein, then vegies, then fruit, then carbs. One doctor said about 30 grams of carbs a day, that isn't much. I figure like 2 pieces of bread is all I can eat of carbs before I gain. Hope that helps.

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lil_lisa View Post
    I think they said 800 calories while losing and 1000 at maintenance but I never counted calories. I know mostly protein, then vegies, then fruit, then carbs. One doctor said about 30 grams of carbs a day, that isn't much. I figure like 2 pieces of bread is all I can eat of carbs before I gain. Hope that helps.
    First, anyone reading this should know that I plan my daily menus and track all my food on My Fitness Pal. So I really do know how much I've eaten on this journey (calories, protein, carbs, fats, fiber, calcium, etc.) since Day One. FYI, I'm 7 months, 3 weeks post-op. And I'm only 3 pounds from goal.

lil_lisa ... based on my experience, that calorie prescription you quoted above is just wrong. Sorry to be so blunt, and I'm not trying to insult you at all. You may wish to check back in with your surgeon / NUT and make sure what they said.

In any event, my surgeon didn't give me calorie limits, just daily protein minimums. Here's how it's all worked out for me:

Month 1: After the first few weeks (when our tummy is terribly swollen and we are all on a liquid diet), I could only manage about 500 cals a day. However, I worked real hard to get in my protein grams and hit 60 grams on Day Five.

Months 2-4: I aimed for and averaged about 800 calories a day. Most days I hit 60-75 protein grams. I also aimed for the same number of carbs (60-75), because I (1) didn't care about losing "as fast as possible," (2) really wanted and needed the physical and mental energy I knew I could get from good, healthy carbs (colored veggies and fruits, not starchy foods or slider foods), and (3) definitely wanted to avoid the low but real risk of developing something called post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia (you can look it up; it really sucks). I felt good.

Months 5-6: At my bariatric P.A.'s and NUT's advice, I raised my calories to 1,000/day. Interestingly, my daily protein grams ratcheted up to about 80 grams/day, as did my daily carbs. I ate animal and plant protein, healthy carbs (colored veggies and fruits) and a few whole grains. I felt even better.

Months 7-8: I raised my calories to 1,200/day. And my protein and carbs both went up to 90-100/day. I'm feeling really good. This calorie budget allows me more wiggle room, but I'm still VERY careful not to take in a lot of slider, starchy foods. I have bread and pasta occasionally. I'm really enjoying wine (about 4 ounces/day). I'm still losing weight, but more slowly (5-6 pounds/month). I'm only 3 pounds from goal right now.

I saw my NUT and exercise consultant last week. They and I are hopeful that my maintenance daily calorie budget will be around 1,600-1,700.

I am over the moon with these results. It's never been tough for me. I've not had any serious stalls. Or if I did I didn't worry about them. One week I lost 0.0 pounds. Some weeks I lost only 0.2 or 0.4 pounds. But mostly it's been weekly losses of 1.0 to 4.0 pounds and monthly losses of between 5.0 and 11.5 pounds.

I've considered that every day, week and month was a practice session for the rest of my life.

My sleeve is the BEST DAMN TOOL I'VE EVER HAD TO LOSE AND MANAGE MY WEIGHT! But the discipline I've practiced and gained to control WHAT I eat has been a close second.

(I probably need to calm down. )

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Blog Entries

first i want To THANK ALL OF YOU THAT "WEIGHED" IN ON THIS ISSUE
    second, i want to look at each and every detail you all suggested..what a wonderful group of people we have here!! hugs to all..

28. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast