12/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Reynoso
    Said "Thanks" 297 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

Default This stall has broken this camel's back

I've waited, like you all said. I tried upping my protein, upping my water. My weight has stuck for three weeks. I guess it moved a little last week, because I did finally take off the 4 lbs (because I was sick and couldn't eat for two days) I gained during week 2. I lost 13 lbs. the first 8 days and nothing since. I really thought this surgery would work. I've been doing everything I was told to do. But just nothing. I'm eating somewhere between 600-800 calories (of lean protein, small amts of veggies, greek yogurt & protein shakes) a day. I just can't believe how my body is working against me- I guess? I really don't know what to think about any of it anymore. I know people will tell me that everyone has stalls, but does everyone have stalls starting after their first week and continuing past the 4th week? Even when they've only lost a few pounds post op? It's like everything I've ever known about my own body has gone out the window. I don't know where to go from here. I guess it's not like I can throw in the towel, which is a good thing....if only something were happening. I had lost some inches a few weeks ago, so that is something. And yes, I need to get off the scale. I had originally told myself I could weigh every day for the first month and then once a week thereafter (because I thought I'd lose like 25-30 lbs. the first month, and THEN it would slow down to 1-2 per week). I have weighed every other day or so. Sigh. I'm posting this because maybe someone out there experienced this and can HELP me. And to remember how I felt, should things ever change. I know this is a downer, but I just need some encouragement.

Surgery Weight: 287

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    08/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chae
    Last Activity
    03-22-2017 04:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: This stall has broken this camel's back

When was the last time you lost 25 pounds in 29 days? Be happy with that...Allow your body to adjust in it's own way. Why are you comparing yourself? Your weight loss is happening at your own rate. Let it. Things will move in due time. Stress is part of what got you here. De-stress, calm down, stop watching so closely. Get your exercise going and watch the changes. Try to remember that this battle is as much mental as is it physical. Be willing to change your mind set. Start looking at the positives in having the surgery. Your weight loss has been kick started and now it's up to you to keep the scale moving down. It's not a magic pill. You still have to make the effort. Be happy with the decision you made to have the surgery and now go for it. Make it worth while.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sandrapmen's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nancy Marquez
    Last Activity
    05-05-2014 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm having the same problem, I havent lost any weight i've been the same for the past 3-4 days. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. drink lots of water, and eating small amounts. maybe it's just inches we are losing now. i dont know but it's frustrating. just keep doing what your doing hopefully it will change. good luck!

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sebastian Eid
    Last Activity
    05-02-2015 06:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

You're down 25 lbs! Please try not to compare yourself to others and don't get down on yourself. We all know the courage that it took to take the steps that you've taken and it will pay off for you. The way my body is working now is completely different than it did pre-surgery, and I'm sure that it's even more obvious for women. You have to deal with a whole slew of bodily functions that we guys don't. Keep posting for support and don't worry about being a "downer." You'll get there.

Gastric Sleeve Member missemily516's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    12/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Channing Chin
    Last Activity
    02-03-2017 04:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

I know it is hard - you wait and wait for the surgery and once it's gone you want the weight to magically disappear overnight. But you ARE losing weight, and you WILL lose more weight. You just have to be patient. I step on the scale every day and every day there is no difference I feel bad, but I know that as time goes by the weight will go down. Hang in there!
    "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms"

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member brightnessofhope's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Reynoso
    Said "Thanks" 297 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

Please everyone, I haven't lost 25lbs in 29 days. I've lost 13 pounds in 8 days and 0 pounds in 21 days. From 299- 287(the day of my surgery, 4 weeks ago), that is 12 lbs I lost in the two months prior to surgery. And for the record, the last time I lost 25 pounds in 29 days was each and every time I did the hcg diet (at least 4 times), eating 500 calories a day, and my body did exactly that, so I thought I had some basis for comparison as to what my body would do. I'm not saying that diet is better or that the sleeve is crap- only to share what my body did during those times. But the so called sleeve experts can't have it both ways. You can't say that you must try to lose most of your weight in the first six months, or a year, because you are racing against time, and it will all slow down or stop after that, and then not expect people will get worried and upset when they are not losing much in the first month or first few months, or to just "forgetta 'bout it" and just do your doc's thing and not care about the outcome.

Surgery Weight: 287

Gastric Sleeve Member misshaunt's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    01/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motto
    Last Activity
    03-20-2018 08:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

My Dr said the Sleeve is less rapid than a ByPass. I am having mine done on the 20th. I bet when your body does adjust that you will all of the sudden lose 10 lbs. Hang in there. Not sure what stage your Dr has you on and what you are able to eat yet, but my only suggestion would be stick to shakes and liquids to see if it will help (if you aren't doing that already). Good luck!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Brightness,

I've read so many stories like yours, on this board and other WLS boards. And yes, a long stall after Week One is not unique. It ain't even unusual.

Let's review the bidding:

1. You had major abodminal surgery 29 days ago. Surgery does a real number to a lot of people's bodies, which takes many weeks and weeks (and even more weeks than you've dealt with thus far) to adapt to. You've had your tender body cut into, shot up with IV nutrients and fluids, injected with significant anesthetics. It's been traumatized. It's still trying to heal. It's protecting itself.

2. You've lost 13 pounds in 29 days post-surgery, and 25 pounds altogether, counting your pre-surgery diet. To paraphrase what others have said, when did you last lose 25 pounds in 6 weeks (adding in your pre-surgery diet)? I'm betting never. Or perhaps back in your twenties when you still had a metabolism?

3. You've got another 124 pounds to go to reach your goal. If you kept losing at this rate, you'd be there in 9 months. However, you probably won't be there in 9 months. It'll take longer than that. Maybe a year. Maybe a year and a half. You're going to have to have a lot of patience for that journey. You just need to start gearing up with that kind of patience. Start visualizing how long it's going to take. Draw a chart of how your weight loss would go during a year or a year and a half. See how slowly that will go. (It'll actually go by fits and starts, not a straight line.) But start fantasizing about what you'll look like a month from now, three months from now, six months from now, a year from now, two years from now ....

4. Are you measuring yourself? What do the inches lost say? How many inches have you lost? What clothes can you now wear that you couldn't wear 6 weeks ago? Two weeks ago?

Unless you're a medical anomaly (and I would bet $100K you're not!) you will lose the next 124 pounds at pretty much the same rate other successful people do -- SLOWLY! But along the way, you really ought to consider not punishing yourself for something you have absolutely NO control over. You have got to let your body lose the weight. You can only do what you can do to support it, and that's:

* Drink all your water
    * Eat all your protein
    * Minimize your carbs
    * Take your vitamins
    * Exercise safely (and start it now if you haven't already)
    * Fantasize about your successes.
    * Don't fantasize about failures that haven't happened yet.

You're very smart. You "know" what the deal is. Now, start feeling it. Use affirmations if that helps. Breathe deeply (in and out) to relax. Get some exercise (reduces your stress). Get interested in something else in your life besides your weigh loss. Make lists of things you want to do, places you want to go, things you want to have, changes you want to make. Fantasize about your future. Fantasize about next week (not weight loss, something else.) Put your mind and imagination to GOOD use.

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member aridge1975's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rajev I. Nain
    Last Activity
    05-21-2014 05:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Have you been exercising? I can see how this can be a bit discouraging. Try adding more time and increasing the speed during your daily walks (if you're walking). Maybe even a light jog. Hang in there! We're rooting for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member BigDogMom's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Surgery date
    11/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Blaine Nease
    Last Activity
    06-09-2014 08:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh Kim, I'm so sorry! It must be terribly frustrating and disappointing. My dr told me before my surgery that the sleeve doesn't always work for everybody. I'm not sure why that is, but our bodies are all so different. Please give yourself some more time before you emotionally throw in the towel. Have you spoken to your dr? To the nutritionist? As difficult as it is, maybe you should completely scrap all the things you are currently eating and start over.
    Please try to give yourself some grace and maybe de-stress however you can. Keep your chin up.
    "We walk by faith, not by sight."

Surgery date
    11/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    08-08-2014 10:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

It can be super frustrating. I didn't lose a pound for 3 weeks after surgery. So frustrating. I was glad that I'd had the surgery because after a stall like that without the surgery I would have given up if I was on any diet. I also just came out of another week long stall. I actually find that when I exercise, I don't lose as much or even gain. It takes a while to figure out how your body will relax. Try to hang in there.i currently find that when I eat more the scale starts moving

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigDogMom View Post
    Oh Kim, I'm so sorry! It must be terribly frustrating and disappointing. My dr told me before my surgery that the sleeve doesn't always work for everybody. I'm not sure why that is, but our bodies are all so different. Please give yourself some more time before you emotionally throw in the towel. Have you spoken to your dr? To the nutritionist? As difficult as it is, maybe you should completely scrap all the things you are currently eating and start over.
    Please try to give yourself some grace and maybe de-stress however you can. Keep your chin up.
    Dear Brightness,

It's my understanding that when a WLS "doesn't work" for someone it's because they haven't followed the prescribed process required for that surgery. In the case of the sleeve, that's prescribed amounts of water, protein, exercise, etc. It's never been my understanding that there's some "unusual" reason why the sleeve doesn't work.

If you follow the program, you will lose weight. It will be faster or slower than others are experiencing. But you will lose the weight.

Yes, you could "give up" and eat high-calorie slider foods, and it "wouldn't work." (For example, a pint a day of Hagen Dasz ice cream would overcome the benefit of the VSG tool. Ugh!)

But there isn't a group of people for whom the VSG tool and the followed process doesn't work. Certainly not in any body of research that I've read about. None. Zero. Zilch.

I disagree strongly that you should scrap everything you're doing and start over. Completely disagree with that.

I do agree that you should talk to your nutritionist and doctor and get their opinion about how you're doing. They are the experts here.

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

folks have stalls at different points for differing lengths of time, but I havent seen many cases on here where they dont eventually break out of it and go on significant losing spree. The only thing you can do to facilitate that is what you have been instructed to do - get your protein and liquids in, minimize fats, sugars and starchy carbs, and exercise. Then be patient and wait for things to eventually kick in gear. Your stall hit early and hard and I know that sucks because you havent had an appreciable amount of loss before hitting your head on a wall. But at 600 calories a day you are eventually going to lose. It just doesnt seem logical otherwise. I'm sorry you are frustrated and certainly can't guarantee you anything but I do believe at some point things will pick back up and you will be fine long term. And what I hope doesnt happen is that you give up and begin developing bad habits. Please hang in there.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Are you exercising? I began to exercise (brisk walking, everyday, for 2-3 miles, on an indoor track) and the weight really began to fall off for me. For me, it's definitely exercise that makes the difference. I stalled some during the last part of my liquid diet. I think it's because I was only allowed 150 calories a day and now I'm up to 600-650 a day. I also wasn't walking much yet on the liquid. I would just make sure that you are keeping your carbs low (but allow yourself some fruit and vegetables), keep the protein high, and walk, walk, walk.

And I agree with Ann2. WLS doesn't "work" for the people who don't follow the plan. The sleeve doesn't just fail on its own. It's what you put into it. People who are eating ice cream, milkshakes, cake, and fried foods all day in little amounts are obviously going to fail. Many people who don't ever exercise will probably fail (but not all, just many). You are following the plan. You can do this. Hang in there.

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Dear Brightness,

I'm sorry that you're struggling and I can understand how frustrated you must feel. I agree with just about everything Ann said so I don't need to repeat it. I just wanted to say that we support you. You'll never bother us by coming to express your feelings with those of us here. That's why this community exists.

Blessings to you