02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    11-03-2019 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Date is set, read everything I possibly could about sleeve procedure and so ready to go!!

Meetings with surgeon - ✅
    Meetings with nutritionist - ✅
    Meeting with Therapist - ✅
    Blood work, endoscopy procedure done -✅
    Begun pre-op diet - ✅
    Stock-piled Protein shakes I like, bought food scale and immersion blender ✅
    NEED TO BUY: Vitamins

Hi, folks - my first post here with a scheduled surgery date of February 5th. What am I missing from my To-do list?

I’ve done so much research about this procedure that my head is in overload mode. I retired from a medical device corporation and worked with a surgeon who does bariatric surgery and did a bypass on a good friend of mine. I’ve seen firsthand the good and the not-so-good about the bypass and truly believe the sleeve procedure will be best for me. Most importantly, I think my head is in the right place - don’t believe this procedure will be a “magic pill” but the tool to catapult me to being healthy again. So much to live for - 7 grandkids that are in our lives on a regular basis - Hmmm, if we could have just skipped our three kids and gone straight to the grand babes! LOL.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome. Not the least bit nervous (YET!) but ready to do it!!

Deb F

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Date is set, read everything I possibly could about sleeve procedure and so ready to go!!

Sounds like you're ready! 2019 will be an amazing year for you! It is actually beyond your wildest dreams.

We have a similar situation, 3 kid and 6 grand babies. Our son told us, "Mom, dad, you guys have no responsibilities." Yep! We earned it! Our life revolves around active travel, so much fun.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ThatGirlKat's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    09/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    04-10-2019 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts

Default Re: Date is set, read everything I possibly could about sleeve procedure and so ready to go!!

Good luck!

I will say that your tastebuds may change a little post-surgery. I could not handle anything overly sweet. Even Propel sports drinks were too sweet for me in the first few months. So what protein shakes you like now, you might not like after surgery. It's weird.

If you have any questions that pop up along the way, ask away. There are always people willing to help here.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yup, our lives seem so much alike - looking forward to a second trip to Italy with the necessary stamina to make it more easily along the cobblestone streets and hills of Tuscany! Not expecting to run any marathons but so looking forward to doing the things I love w/o getting out of breath or downright unable to do them (I’m only 62 but feel ancient and for the first time in 30 years had my first veggie garden this past summer - only to realize I was having difficulty keeping up with it). This forum is so helpful and supportive. Thanks for your response and feel like a “sleeve warrior” - bring it on!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

I second that wishing I could have skipped the three kids and just gone straight to grandkids. Everyone always said enjoy them. They grow up so fast. You'll miss them being little. Nope, nope, and nope. Praise God they're grown. I don't miss raising kids at all. I do love those cute little grandbabies of mine, I get to give them back when I'm done having fun.

You do sound like you're in a great place mentally for surgery. That's good. It can be rough sometimes, but losing that weight feels so good. You're gonna rock it!
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by DebF View Post
    Yup, our lives seem so much alike - looking forward to a second trip to Italy with the necessary stamina to make it more easily along the cobblestone streets and hills of Tuscany! Not expecting to run any marathons but so looking forward to doing the things I love w/o getting out of breath or downright unable to do them (I’m only 62 but feel ancient and for the first time in 30 years had my first veggie garden this past summer - only to realize I was having difficulty keeping up with it). This forum is so helpful and supportive. Thanks for your response and feel like a “sleeve warrior” - bring it on!
    We just got back from Italy and I'm 62! Lots in common!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome.

Sounds as though you have it all under control. A positive attitude goes a long way to a successful recovery.
    This is such an exciting time. 2019 is going to be fabulous for you.

We also have 7 grandkids (aged 5 months to 12 years) - we went from 1 to 3 to 7 in a very short space of time thanks to new relationships bringing some "imports" and a new birth. They are all fabulous kids and I love being able to run (yes run!) around with them. My favourite memory is our 7 year old saying to me a couple of months ago after a game of tag - "you can run quite fast for an old lady" Hahaha. Yes I can! And I'm not that old - 56 ;-)

We are touring Italy in September this year - my favourite country (of those that I have been fortunate enough to visit so far). The long haul flight will be way more comfortable this time.

All the best and keep us posted on your progress please.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Sounds like you got it.. only thing is, your taste buds may change after surgery. The protein shakes you loved before surgery might differ after surgery. My go to protein shake prior to surgery was Slim Fast chocolate low carb. After surgery I couldn't stomach it. My surgeon warned me not to stockpile the day before grocery day and I'm so glad he did. Don't be surprised if you have to pick a different favorite. You might try buying singles of different kinds of drinks with electrolytes. Powerade Zero, Gatorade Zero, Crystal light, etc... keep something flavored on hand in case you can't stomach the water 100% of the time. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

You sound like you are well set. The most important is the research you have done and the next will be having a support network like this filled with people who have been there. It is really helpful to have fellow sleevers to talk to. I was also super excited and not really nervous. I got nervous that morning of surgery a little bit but that was it. My only worry was what if the surgery did not work for me. Thankfully that was nothing to worry about.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks everyone! I can see that the support here on this forum will be very important to me going forward. Just now beginning to tell more family and friends of my decision and it’s funny how some people get an instant look on their faces that clearly says, “really?; why not just diet and exercise instead of putting yourself through this?” I so want to be another success story like so many of you here - and will work to make it happen.

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Deb, as someone who's going on 5 years post-op, you are ALL OVER THIS!

I can already tell you're going to be a raving sleeve success. You're organized, hyped, enthusiastic, committed, responsible, and ready to change.

You're going to love your new life. Really. I promise. Not kidding.

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

20. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by DebF View Post
    Thanks everyone! I can see that the support here on this forum will be very important to me going forward. Just now beginning to tell more family and friends of my decision and it’s funny how some people get an instant look on their faces that clearly says, “really?; why not just diet and exercise instead of putting yourself through this?” I so want to be another success story like so many of you here - and will work to make it happen.
    I think the less people you tell the better. People just don't understand if they have never been in our shoes.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Totally personal decision who to tell but I only told a few really, really supportive friends. These guys have been my friends for over 40 years and we share everything.
    I had heard negativity (about someone else having bariatric surgery) from people that don't understand why we do what we do and decided that I didn't need that while I was still coming to terms with everything myself.
    I am a bit more open about it now but there are still people that I will never ever tell and would possibly deny being sleeved if they asked.....it's just none of their business.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to this wonderful group! You are so prepared and so ahead on the process of change that I agree - you will rock.
    I was 65 last year when I had my sleeve, and these lovely folks have been here every step (bite?) of the journey.

We have 6 kids, and 5 grandchildren and feel quite certain we are not having any more of either, lol. love them, but we are enjoying being retired, and especially me being able to participate in life with good health.

Best decision ever!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

So, today I had my yearly annual physical with my PCP who originally broached the subject of bariatric surgery - he watched me see-saw on Weight Watchers (twice), Atkins, South Beach, numerous gym memberships, blah, blah, blah. I always felt I was two steps ahead and then three steps behind as the cliche goes. So much going for me with a one-in-a-million husband but always seemed that work (long hours), my three kids’s activities in sporting events, dance with my daughter, college and then the weddings, showers, and grand babies started coming - and it all took a higher priority than my own health and well-being —- but don’t get me wrong - I totally loved EVERY MINUTE of it!! Besides the obvious obesity issues (yikes, still hard to say or type that “O” word), like high blood pressure, sleep apnea, can’t walk two friggin flights of stairs without getting winded — and then three years ago I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer (look it up - obesity is a precursor to this type of cancer). A hysterectomy took care of the big C but what a wake up call. And my PCP was with me supporting and guiding me all along the way.

Now it’s truly time for me - early retiree at 61 and looking forward to the much healthier next chapter! My daughter said to me last week that she thinks my only regret may be that I didn’t do it earlier.

Back to my PCP and my appointment today - he actually looked a bit emotional when he said how proud he was of my decision and said he was looking forward to being my PCP for many many years to come. Doesn’t get much better than that!!

Sorry if I’ve offered TMI !!!

27. Said thanks: