Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default What do you consider snacking?

I eat three healthy meals and I take three "snacks".
    But I've seen videos of bariatric surgeons, who advice just the three meals per day and NO snacking.
    That started me wondering: what is considered "snacking"?
    My "snacks" are always healthy and wls approved' like fruit, carrot sticks w/hummus, cottage cheese, some raw almonds, a bit of cheese, yoghurt, things like that.
    Sometimes I bake black bean brownies, with agave syrup and no refined sugars.
    But it's never junk foods or slider foods or sweets.
    Always something healthy. (okay, but the brownie is healthy-ish... not?)
    Is that considered "snacking"?

So, what do YOU consider a "snack"?
    Is it everything you eat between your three meals?
    Frankly, I couldn't do without my snacks, I need something in between.
    How about you?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you consider snacking?

I was told by my bariatric team to eat every 2-3 hours. Normally for breakfast, I'll have oatmeal. Around 9:00, my first snack is usually fruit, tangerine, pineapple, etc., Lunch is usually 2 hours after. My evening snack after dinner is usually my Greek yogurt and I mix some type of fruit in it. My snack can also include a cheese stick, always something healthy. My stomach starts to feel "gurgly" if I don't get my snack in!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I should add, that the word "snacking" in general means something unhealthy, where I come from.
    But then I hear dr.V. say "for an obese person, there is no such thing as a healthy snack".
    But I wonder about that.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I should add, that the word "snacking" in general means something unhealthy, where I come from.
    But then I hear dr.V. say "for an obese person, there is no such thing as a healthy snack".
    But I wonder about that.
    Oh bwa ha ha -- my bariatric doc (and my other ologists agree) that three meals and 2 snacks, or 5 small meals, as long as I hit my nutrition goals are fine. And he also said a brownie at lunch (unhealthy kind) is the same calories as a brownie at bed time. Junk in, junk through the body. So I think you are good.

I am NEVER actually hungry, but I am mindful that without enough protein, my blood sugar drops to a dangerous 51...so I pay attention. And everyone is different.

I do have to admit I have an occasional "unhealthy" snack, but only after really deciding why I want it -- I'm 66 (well 67 next week). Once in a while an emotional need overrides. But never without thinking it through anknowing the consequence.

I do have to watch that I am not feeding a habit rather than nourishing my body.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Here's my take:

A SNACK is something eaten between meals (not very often) and is intentional and healthy. Examples: An apple, an apple and a little cheese, berries and yogurt. It is never crap food -- always something nutritious. Having a snack is something I do only when I'm hungry and need some energy.

But it is not GRAZING! Grazing is mindlessly nibbling between meals over a longer period of time, usually while doing something else like watching TV that helps the grazer ignore the fact that they're inhaling calories without any food value. Think popcorn, crackers, pretzels, candy, cookies, overprocessed, un-nutritious crap. I actually think of it as S**T, not food. I don't buy it. I don't bring it home. Therefore, I don't eat it.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

A few months after I had my surgery in January 2016, a book written by Dr Fung, called "Obesity code"came out. His practice is in Toronto.
    I did read it and at the time, since I felt the main target was diabetic patients, I didn't think much about it. Except...it will be interesting to follow that doctor...he looks smart..I like people who follow their intuition..

At the time (first year post op) my surgeon did recommend 3 meals 2 snacks, but said later, around 18 months out, I could go with only 3 meals if/when I wanted. Because sometimes I forgot to eat or didn't have time when I was back in Paris.

I did read the two other books Dr Fung did write after the Obesity code one.
    The last one about longevity is very interesting too.

Personal note : my great aunt from Zurich (Switzerland) who battled cancer for more than 15 years from like 1980 to 1996, was fasting because her oncologist did tell her at the time she would live longer that way. Fasting and drinking juice made from organic veggies.
    At first her cancer was supposed to kill her in two years (she had some type of bad blood cancer) and she managed to stay alive much much longer. Her doctor was so right!! And she was an amazing fighter!!!Many in the family said it was because she had good genes, today I think it was also may be the fasting...

Back to Dr Fung : to make it short, what did really interest me, was the link between eating low carb (or even better keto, low carb high fat) to avoid the insulin roller-coaster, but also avoiding snacks, eating in a short window, to have a longer "fast".

For example, no breakfast, lunch at noon, dinner at 6PM, then fasting from 7 PM until noon the next day. Basically any fast longer than 12 hours is "healing" the body. Longer fasts (42h) can help with weight loss for women especially. And if people fast mainly because lots were able to "cure diabetes" others just do it for weight loss, or to fight diseases, or aging.
    He does not recommend fasting for kids, pregnant women or....people with reflux (no no Sandra!!...but 12 to 14h is usually ok)

His results on diabetes are amazing. Many of his patients are completely cured!! only with fasting and keto!

For me, "trained as a nutritionist", a few of the advice are against what I did learn at uni.

But Dr Fung did provide scientific evidence and amazing results. So it's worth trying.

And after all ....the influence of the politics and food industry did some major cases of bad advice on "the pyramid" and other obsolete concepts that are still used even if we know it doesn't work....

I wish I could do the 42h fasts....may be after I get my stomach surgery...in 2025....

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I have planned snacks during the day. The are part of my meal plan and they don't vary from day to day. I'm very much a creature of habit.
    They are not mindless snacks where I look in the cupboard for something to eat out of habit but structured into my day.

Morning tea time a light mini babybel cheese, 1/3 carrot, I stick celery.
    Afternoon tea: Mandarin or 1/2 orange
    After dinner (as long as I haven't eaten dinner too late): 1/2 cup fresh fruit of some kind. Watermelon/strawberries in season or rock melon, pineapple, few grapes etc.

14. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I'll have a healthy snack if I'm hungry. Fruit, veggies, low fat cheese, nuts, protein bar, etc. After a day of teaching I always come home hungry and can't wait for dinner to eat something.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

If I only ate 3 meals a day I would wither away to nothing. I eat 5-6 times a day because I still eat pretty small portions.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I eat three healthy meals and I take three "snacks".
    But I've seen videos of bariatric surgeons, who advice just the three meals per day and NO snacking.
    That started me wondering: what is considered "snacking"?
    My "snacks" are always healthy and wls approved' like fruit, carrot sticks w/hummus, cottage cheese, some raw almonds, a bit of cheese, yoghurt, things like that.
    Sometimes I bake black bean brownies, with agave syrup and no refined sugars.
    But it's never junk foods or slider foods or sweets.
    Always something healthy. (okay, but the brownie is healthy-ish... not?)
    Is that considered "snacking"?

So, what do YOU consider a "snack"?
    Is it everything you eat between your three meals?
    Frankly, I couldn't do without my snacks, I need something in between.
    How about you?
    Hey Dutchie
    My Dr and NUT are very much 3 meals, no snacking. They've said it is the main reason patients tend to get into the habit of eating too frequently or overeating. I just started pureed food yesterday and I am the happiest girl in the world. It's so nice to have actual food in my tummy. Oh and my taste buds are on high alert. It's a great experience actually tasting and experiencing food and flavors all over again. I even gave up my coffee and it hasn't bothered me a bit. I never thought I'd be able to do that, but I just don't really want it.

I think once I start back to the gym I may have to add a protein shake, but I guess I'll just play it by ear. I honestly think it's such an individual thing and how our bodies react differently. You've been super successful so that proves we just have to figure out what works best for our bodies.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    A few months after I had my surgery in January 2016, a book written by Dr Fung, called "Obesity code"came out. His practice is in Toronto.
    I did read it and at the time, since I felt the main target was diabetic patients, I didn't think much about it. Except...it will be interesting to follow that doctor...he looks smart..I like people who follow their intuition..

At the time (first year post op) my surgeon did recommend 3 meals 2 snacks, but said later, around 18 months out, I could go with only 3 meals if/when I wanted. Because sometimes I forgot to eat or didn't have time when I was back in Paris.

I did read the two other books Dr Fung did write after the Obesity code one.
    The last one about longevity is very interesting too.

Personal note : my great aunt from Zurich (Switzerland) who battled cancer for more than 15 years from like 1980 to 1996, was fasting because her oncologist did tell her at the time she would live longer that way. Fasting and drinking juice made from organic veggies.
    At first her cancer was supposed to kill her in two years (she had some type of bad blood cancer) and she managed to stay alive much much longer. Her doctor was so right!! And she was an amazing fighter!!!Many in the family said it was because she had good genes, today I think it was also may be the fasting...

Back to Dr Fung : to make it short, what did really interest me, was the link between eating low carb (or even better keto, low carb high fat) to avoid the insulin roller-coaster, but also avoiding snacks, eating in a short window, to have a longer "fast".

For example, no breakfast, lunch at noon, dinner at 6PM, then fasting from 7 PM until noon the next day. Basically any fast longer than 12 hours is "healing" the body. Longer fasts (42h) can help with weight loss for women especially. And if people fast mainly because lots were able to "cure diabetes" others just do it for weight loss, or to fight diseases, or aging.
    He does not recommend fasting for kids, pregnant women or....people with reflux (no no Sandra!!...but 12 to 14h is usually ok)

His results on diabetes are amazing. Many of his patients are completely cured!! only with fasting and keto!

For me, "trained as a nutritionist", a few of the advice are against what I did learn at uni.

But Dr Fung did provide scientific evidence and amazing results. So it's worth trying.

And after all ....the influence of the politics and food industry did some major cases of bad advice on "the pyramid" and other obsolete concepts that are still used even if we know it doesn't work....

I wish I could do the 42h fasts....may be after I get my stomach surgery...in 2025....
    I have read this info as well and thing there is definitely something to it.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Based on your contributions in this topic, I say that healthy snacking is totally possible and sometimes advisable.
    I, personally, have to have something in between my "meals", because like Christie, I don't eat very much per sitting.
    But as long as I choose my healthy options, and don't start grazing (do carrot stick and cherry tomatoes count as grazing? then I AM grazing sometimes), it will be okay, I think.
    My dietitian also mentioned intermittent vasting.
    That seems to be the new norm.

@Sandra: thanks again for you insightful answer!
    Always a pleasure to read.
    And I'll pray for you, you don't have to wait until 2025 to get your much needed and long overdue surgery!

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    I have planned snacks during the day. The are part of my meal plan and they don't vary from day to day. I'm very much a creature of habit.
    They are not mindless snacks where I look in the cupboard for something to eat out of habit but structured into my day.

Morning tea time a light mini babybel cheese, 1/3 carrot, I stick celery.
    Afternoon tea: Mandarin or 1/2 orange
    After dinner (as long as I haven't eaten dinner too late): 1/2 cup fresh fruit of some kind. Watermelon/strawberries in season or rock melon, pineapple, few grapes etc.
    The great thing you are doing here is eating fruits far away from meals. Most people don't know or don't do it, but eating fruits with meals can trigger digestive issues coming from fermentation of the fruits.

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

Based on your contributions in this topic, I say that healthy snacking is totally possible and sometimes advisable.
    I, personally, have to have something in between my "meals", because like Christie, I don't eat very much per sitting.
    But as long as I choose my healthy options, and don't start grazing (do carrot stick and cherry tomatoes count as grazing? then I AM grazing sometimes), it will be okay, I think.
    My dietitian also mentioned intermittent vasting.
    That seems to be the new norm.

@Sandra: thanks again for you insightful answer!
    Always a pleasure to read.
    And I'll pray for you, you don't have to wait until 2025 to get your much needed and long overdue surgery!
    Thank you for your good wishes my dear friend!! I hope too...but it's taking for ever....

Regarding the snacking, I think each person is different and should do what works best for her. Listening to your body is the most important.
    But to keep insulin stable, I would recommend "snacking" on low carbs. For example, I stopped eating cashew too "far" from a meal, only eating almonds because my body does react better to almond.

From Dr Fung's perspective, the eating window is reduced per day, but a meal can last up to one hour. (which is way different from what we are told as a bariatric patient!)
    It's actually very closed from the French traditional way of eating. French have long meals, also French people usually don't snack, it's only for children....because they have a small stomach, and big energetic expenditure!!
    Once a week coffee with cakes/snack when meeting friends is looked as ok but most French wouldn't snack. Except the youngest generation who grew up with watching people on TV eating all the time and do the same...an other debat..

so it's also logical for bariatric patients with a small stomach (like children) to "snack" but that must be really something that is included in the full day "plan".

About 10 to 15% of sleeve patient will have hypoglycemia. It's just a number based on symptoms, and we don't really know why (since studies on the stomach post-sleeve are not really exploring that issue so far).
    So it's very real that people need to eat! and that's how nut tell their diabetic patients to eat several meals.(and Dr Fung think that's part of the issue in treating diabetics).

I do have hypoglycemia since the sleeve, and always carry almonds in my bag. But at the same time, reducing my snacks, also made my insulin more stable, and my hypoglycemia got better with time....all that eating almost the same food during the day, just using an other schedule...

I'm not sure if I'm clear in my descriptions, but anyway, reducing meals is safe if the person feels fine.

My ancestors faced famine a few generations ago, and that might be the reason why I could become obese so easily, without even eating that much. My body is just ready in case we face starvation again !!!I know that my body does react to any kind of hormonal change/meds and the fact that I have had gestational diabetes confirm the sensitive insulin response.

Still learning and trying new things everyday....it is a long process. Especially when you realize that for years nuts and docs were just completely wrong in so many ways...

28. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    The great thing you are doing here is eating fruits far away from meals. Most people don't know or don't do it, but eating fruits with meals can trigger digestive issues coming from fermentation of the fruits.
    I didn't know this - thanks Sandra :-)