Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Did you have a Lap-Band and revised it to a gastric sleeve? Sound off on this thread please if you did a lap band revision.

Please sound off on this thread if you had a lap band and traded it in for a gastric sleeve.
    You may just say "I did", or you may go into detail as to why you did it, and your thoughts afterwords. You may share as little or as much info as you would like, just keep in mind that many people will read this thread and use your information and testimonial to help them decide the best solution for themselves. If you had a horror or displeasing experience with the lap-band, remember that by sharing your story, you can prevent others from having similar experiences.
    This thread will be linked from our main article where we compare and contrast the lap-band versus the gastric sleeve, and many people will be directed to read this thread from there after reading that article.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/28/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roberto Rumbaut
    Last Activity
    01-06-2018 10:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 463 Times in 230 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 248 Times

Default Re: Did you have a Lap-Band and revised it to a gastric sleeve? Sound off on this thread please if you did a lap band revisio

I had one and I converted. It was a ten year nightmare.
    Two hours after I ate I had acid reflux. I was on prescription antacids for years.
    If I ate a good size salad or a lot of greens I'd regurgitate black slime.
    I could never find a doctor to fill me right. They'd either make my band too tight or too loose.
    Needless to say, I learned how to do my own fills.
    You can't sleep at night. You awake to terrible acid reflux seeping into your throat, lung and nose. A few folks don't get this but they're a small minority.
    You have to sleep with your bed tilted if you want to sleep.
    You couldn't eat certain foods or you'd vomit. When you traveled to restaurants you have to bring a plastic bag with you in case you sponteneously
    vomited. I had a few episodes where this happened in front of dinner guests.
    You can't eat during the day. The earliest you can get food down is 10:00 AM if you're lucky. Most of the time you can properly digest food after 3:00PM without vomiting. After 9-10PM your stomach locked down again and if you ate late night you'd vomit.
    You would get a terrible back ache in your back off and on and it was located in the spot where the band was.
    Occasionally the band would slip and it would take weeks for it to go back in place. During that time you had minor chest pain and an odd feeling under your bra line. It was also uncomfortable to wear a bra during that time.
    You couldn't have a social life because your times you could properly eat were restricted to evening hours.
    I had mine for 10 yrs and I got to a point were I could no longer wear it tight
    because it became unbearable. I believe there's a point when you more than likely have to replace it but unknown to me I developed a hernia from all the wear & tear on my body.
    In short it was the worst ten yrs of my life. Someone finally told me about the sleeve & I converted. I only hope this works for me otherwise I'll be converting to a more serious surgery. If I do it'll probably be a few years down the road. If I start regaining a lot of weight that will be my signal I have to do something more intense.
    Lorna

Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did you have a Lap-Band and revised it to a gastric sleeve? Sound off on this thread please if you did a lap band revisio

That is some story Lorna, thank you for recollecting and sharing with us.
    Congrats on your sleeve, no need to worry about those things anymore.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/08/2010
    Last Activity
    04-19-2012 03:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thumbs up Re: Did you have a Lap-Band and revised it to a gastric sleeve? Sound off on this thread please if you did a lap band revisio

I've swapped the band for the sleeve - a week ago tomorrow, in fact! I can honestly say that I didn't realize how much more uncomfortable I was with the band! I've had the band for 10 years - and while I lost almost 40 kg in total - I had regained 16 kg and was on the road to gain the rest. I hated refilling the band, I hated the uncomfortable ache that I had in my back (I only realized in the last couple of days that the band caused that!), the stomach fluid that came out of my nose and into my lungs wasn't nice either! So I hope that I feel as good in a few months as I do now!

For those considering the change.... I would vote in favor for it!

Lena
    Lena

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. V
    Last Activity
    05-14-2015 06:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

I revised from the band to the sleeve. I had my band done in January 2007, I was quite happy with the band in the beginning except one time I got my fill too tight and then they had to readjust it and that's when the problems started. I had over 24 fills total trying to get the band to give me restriction again an it never happened. I was down to 142 lbs but with no restriction in two years time I was back up to 214lbs! I had started my journey at 250 lbs. my doctor who has been with me since the beginning suggested a revision, and I did a lot of research and wasn't quite ready to give up on my band so I tried one more fill and again, no restriction. 6 months later I had the revision to the sleeve. For the first time in a loooong time I know what restriction feels like. The sleeve does everything the band was supposed to do. I'm just under 2 months out and am down 26 lbs since my surgery date. I can eat Anything, but only in small portions.

I know the sleeve is just a tool so I try and make healthy choices but the few times I ate the bad stuff, I only took a bite or two. I no longer eat an entire pan of brownies. Matter of fact the things I used to crave are gone! I am no longer a sweet tooth addict. Even with the band I totally craved sugar. The sleeve has fixed that!

I am still a little skeptical, after all I felt like such a failure with the band and still have those thoughts of "will this really work." I love reading success stories, especially from those 2 and 3 years out. I wish more would come back and tell how they are doing long term but I realize they are out there enjoying life.

Anyhow, if the band hasn't worked for you, I highly recommend the sleeve. Please do your research and make sure it's something your committed to, but if your ready then I think it's the best tool ever!

Highest weight 250
    Lapband 1/17/07
    Revision to sleeve 11/20/13---215
    Month 1 – 193.2 (-21.3 lbs)
    Month 2 – 182.8 (-10.4 lbs)
    Month 3 - 174.4 (-8.4 lbs)
    Month 4 - 176.1 (+1.7 lbs)
    Month 5 - 170.8 (-5.30 lbs)
    Month 6 - 174.0 (+3.2 lbs)
    Month 7 - 169.8 (-4.2 lbs)
    Month 8 - 165.0 (-4.8 lbs)
    Total Loss 50 lbs since sleeve
    Total loss since my highest 85 lbs

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Singh
    Last Activity
    12-05-2018 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I had it for 3 years. Hated it for most of those. It was painful when I ate. Now I have the sleeve for 5 months--LOVE IT!

Surgery date
    12/23/2013
    Surgeon
    A. Alanis
    Last Activity
    07-02-2014 12:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by joann287 View Post
    I had it for 3 years. Hated it for most of those. It was painful when I ate. Now I have the sleeve for 5 months--LOVE IT!
    5 months and how much weight have you lost?