07/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Nagle
    Said "Thanks" 329 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times

Default Confession...

I have a confession to make.

My weight loss since my 11 July VSG has been pretty steady. I quickly began to replace some clothes...others, I had items that I could use.

I had an Army Band reunion in August, saw lots of old friends in person and on Facebook. I received many, many compliments on my weight loss ( about 55#). Somewhere along the line, I got off track. Perhaps I got cocky from all the praise? Maybe it's understandable to relax a diet somewhat while on vacation, and maybe not. Well, my food consumption has gotten out of control, and I continued to party. Late night noshing has crept back. Salt has returned. I began eating out again, and the worst part was my daily caloric intake increasing from 1200-1400 to over 2000. ( Rough estimate)

Three weeks ago, I was 241.5 at my PA's examination, but a week and a half later, at the office of Northwestern Hospital's head Bariatric guru, I was 245.5. I had been to a catered Chinese 40th Anniversary party with lots of highly salted food along with many other indulgences, too numerous to mention. He could feel the swelling in my leg and ankle. He asked me if I was tracking my intake? I couldn't lie.

The overeating continued.

Today, I once again began tracking my food/waterintake on My Fitness Pal. This is helping to raise my awareness. I'm seeing my Psychologist mid-October. I hope that with their help and a lot of willpower on my part, I can get a grip on this once again.

Thanks for listening,

Ron

"Use plenty of onions. They're very cheap!" Otto Svenson

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Confession...

Thanks for sharing.

We must admit we have a problem before we can even begin to address it, so you are on the right track. This points back to the concept of moderators versus abstainers. Moderators can successfully control their intake of all types of food, whereas abstainers must abstain from certain trigger foods to avoid going off the rails.

I am an abstainer when it comes to my triggers: flavored Triscuit crackers, tortilla chips, Pringles, and Fritos. I cannot stop at one, and will graze my way to the bottom of the box or bag if left to my own devices, so I have not had any of these items in the house since being sleeved.

Anyhow, good luck to you. You are on the road to getting back on track by acknowledging you have a problem and formulating a plan to address it.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, my name is Shirley. I am a food addict and compulsive eater.

^^^this has been very hard to come to terms. The problem it is hard to pinpoint where my addiction lies. Under normal stress I'm a moderator and I can do very well, but under emotional stresses i am an emotional eater. I will eat a whole bag of baby carrots.

I'm trying to settle in my new place and my plans are to work with a holistic nutritionist and cognitive therapist. I had to cancel my initial NUT appointment due to a few things going on with repairs at home.

Hang in there, you are not alone.

✨Hugs!✨
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Ron,

4 pounds it's not that much, could be from water retention, and may be you were in a stall before...around one month I was in a stall for three weeks...

I'm looking at my life post-surgery as trying to find a balance. I do enjoy going out, days with more carbs, but immediately I try to compensate with days with less carbs and more work out. So far I want to avoid frustration because I know that's why all my diets failed before, that and the fact that I was always hungry on a diet. Now the sleeve is a big help on the quantity side, I can manage the quality.
    I'm also careful with my chronic anemia, if my iron level is too low I'm starving, and here start the cravings, even with the sleeve! It did happen a few months ago, I had to stay away from carbs completely for at least one week...until my iron level was better.

My plan to keep my balance on the long run is to try to keep a mixed of moderation, abstinence ....for ever! and work out more too, I know it will help on sO many levels, I can see it only after a few weeks. I'm trying to improve that aspect for several months and only reaching my "smaller fitness goal" now, at + 8 months!

Give yourself time, be kind to yourself. A set back is just a set back. We all face it at some point.
    Take care.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing your story

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kuri
    Last Activity
    06-25-2018 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 644 Times
    Blog Entries

I am learning I cannot watch tv, unless I lock the kitchen..( not literally )
    but what happens w the tv would never happen w/o it.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

For me it comes down to "causes and conditions".

I made a commitment to myself when I began this journey. I'm committed to me One Day At a Time and sometimes One Moment At a Time.

I'm grateful to have the best therapist in the world! She's helped me get down to "Causes and Conditions". I've learned to cope with life's ups and downs WITHOUT turning to something or someone outside myself to make me feel better! Happiness is an INSIDE job! We don't talk about food or bingeing or anything of that sort.

Confession is good for the soul. When I share a problem it is cut in half again and again.

Thank you for trusting us with your journey's ups and downs. Please keep us posted.

Sending Love and Light...

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I'm just spit balling here, but, I am really interested in researching a theory. I think that folks that have to be abstainers ultimately will gain weight back because abstaining is nothing more than a diet. We all sucked at diets and that's why we all had to get the sleeve. I have a lot of respect for rehabnurse. She always has a level headed approach to her plan and is always open to other ideas and methods for losing with the sleeve. Abstaining works for her, but, I propose that abstaining is a flawed approach and will ultimately lead those who do it to a path of weight gain.

It''s just not logical to think that someone can abstain, consistently, from the things that give them pleasure....for the rest of their lives. As humans, we are not wired that way. I am one of those who falls in the "moderation" camp. I don't deny myself anything. However, early on in my trip, I resolved to never over eat as a way to always make sure I don't fall into a trap of binge and diet. My plan was one that focused on not over eating and becoming disciplined to that idea. I knew that I was destined for failure if I denied myself anything. I took the approach that the sleeve was a tool to help me lose weight the old fashioned way. Portion control and exercise. I just happened to purchase the WMD of portion control. The sleeve is a tool and if not used properly, will not work. Would you use a screwdriver to drive a nail? You might, and you might even be successful. However, you will most definitely work harder than necessary and your results would be far from guaranteed. The sleeve is the same as any tool. When used properly, it's virtually idiot proof.

So, I would counsel the OP to learn how to enjoy the things you enjoy, but, do so in moderation. Learn how to discipline yourself to only eat what you know you can comfortably consume and then push away. It's not the food you're eating that causes you to gain, it's the amount of it.....including the salt.

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Recognition is key. The hard part about food addiction is that you just cant quit eating so you have a selection process. When I quit smoking, I recognized I could never smoke again but I don't have to smoke a certain kind to live. That is the easy part. But at some point, we all have to eat. Addiction fed.

Good luck moving forward. Thanks for the reminder that we all need to focus on the right fuel and how to deal with set backs as we come upon them.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Vincent Bach's Avatar
    Name
    Ron
    Surgery date
    07/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Nagle
    Said "Thanks" 329 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times

Tinman,

Abstinence would never work for me, especially in my profession. I know I need to remain more mindful of tracking intake and more importantly, self control.

Great advice. I am trying hard to do exactly what has been so successful for yourself. Congratulations on your weight loss.

As I was told 20 years ago in a diabetes education class: There's no food so good for you that you must eat it every day, and there's no food so bad for you that you can never enjoy it again.

"Use plenty of onions. They're very cheap!" Otto Svenson

Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

congrats on your weight loss

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

It has been said that food compulsion is the worst kind of addiction.

I recommend reading a "A Course in Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson. We must first overcome the blockages, or as she puts it tear down brick by brick, that keep us from realizing our health goals. For some people it is easier, they can determine to stop doing something and they can. For them, something clicked in their brain. They overcame a hurdle, a pain, a situation, or as simple as a thought that afforded them success. For others, it is not easy. It is years, layers upon layers of conditioning that need to be undone and overcome.

Thousands, if not millions, of AA, NA, FA, OA members have been successful at abstaining from their compulsion or addiction. Maybe the majority fail or trip up at some point in their journeys, but they keep going back. I have known several of individuals who have been sober from their addictions for 30-40 years. I've heard of others even longer. Personally, I can't handle that type of structure. I have authority issues. But, I appreciate their principles and the steps. Maybe someday I will need to be in those rooms. Who knows.

These last few weeks, I have been struggling mentally because my weight has been so slowly coming off. I'm over thinking things, sometimes I'm just think what the hell! It's the thinking that sent me right back to daily full sugar and fat lattes, daily treats, or daily choices of high fat, high sugar foods.

I have remind myself several times a day, that for one I had surgery on my stomach not my brain. Second, I remind myself that it's absurd to lose 10lbs in one day, according to the DEXa body composition scan I did a few weeks back I only need to lose another 30-40lbs. So I remind myself that if I eat healthy and make good choices and I continue on the right path I'm eventually going to get to a normal weight.

Yesterday we got gifted, a bag of goodies, ranging from gourmet popcorn to gourmet chocolates. I took the bag, and stored it away. And told my life-partner it was all his. I was also, handed a glass of wine, I took a sip then I put it down. Later, I bought a bag of "vegetable chips" to eat with my tuna sandwich knowing damn well they weren't vegetables, ate a few and put them away. As mentioned in earlier post under normal circumstances I can be a moderator. But under stressful situations I have to work incredibly hard to abstain.

Here are a few articles for your reading leisure:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.preve...?client=safari
    https://www.thefix.com/content/oa-vs-aa?page=all

Here is link to the book I mentioned:
    https://marianne.com/a-course-in-weight-loss/
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I'm just spit balling here, but, I am really interested in researching a theory. I think that folks that have to be abstainers ultimately will gain weight back because abstaining is nothing more than a diet. We all sucked at diets and that's why we all had to get the sleeve. I have a lot of respect for rehabnurse. She always has a level headed approach to her plan and is always open to other ideas and methods for losing with the sleeve. Abstaining works for her, but, I propose that abstaining is a flawed approach and will ultimately lead those who do it to a path of weight gain.

It''s just not logical to think that someone can abstain, consistently, from the things that give them pleasure....for the rest of their lives. As humans, we are not wired that way. I am one of those who falls in the "moderation" camp. I don't deny myself anything. However, early on in my trip, I resolved to never over eat as a way to always make sure I don't fall into a trap of binge and diet. My plan was one that focused on not over eating and becoming disciplined to that idea. I knew that I was destined for failure if I denied myself anything. I took the approach that the sleeve was a tool to help me lose weight the old fashioned way. Portion control and exercise. I just happened to purchase the WMD of portion control. The sleeve is a tool and if not used properly, will not work. Would you use a screwdriver to drive a nail? You might, and you might even be successful. However, you will most definitely work harder than necessary and your results would be far from guaranteed. The sleeve is the same as any tool. When used properly, it's virtually idiot proof.

So, I would counsel the OP to learn how to enjoy the things you enjoy, but, do so in moderation. Learn how to discipline yourself to only eat what you know you can comfortably consume and then push away. It's not the food you're eating that causes you to gain, it's the amount of it.....including the salt.
    I agree with you, but how do we "learn" discipline? I'm 56 and have never been good at self-control (ie discipline). I have to avoid simple carbs like the plaque, at least for now, I'm just 4 months out. If I eat one potato chip, I'll eat 60, no matter how much I try to use discipline/self control.

How do we do what you're saying to do, when we can't do it?

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Vincent, the important thing is that you get "back on the wagon". We all screw up. What's important is that we forgive ourselves (after a firm scolding!), and get right back to doing what works.

So many of us fall down, and don't get back up. Better to get back up after a 20 lb gain than after a 50 lb gain! amiright?

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    06/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Luca Giordano
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks you for sharing your confession. I am amazed at what the sleeve can do for me. Overeating is not an option for me as I can't. I physically can't with this tool and for that I am grateful. The wanting to eat more is there at times but I do not take the vsg for granted. Your awareness of over eating is a great step in getting back on track. And tracking intake is good. Good Luck on continuing your journey.

27. Said thanks: