Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I know: silly, but it freaks me out...

Ah, Ann, you truly are the voice of reason.
    Having said that, I agree and disagree with some of the things you mentioned.
    A lot of things can cause weight gain and lots of those can be physical, like you mentioned.
    We can all agree on the salt intake, medication, bowel movements, water retention, etc.
    But... those are immediate and temporary, most of the time.

Homeostasis is a real thing.
    I am, however, not sure how and why this works the way it probably does.
    And I am not trusting my body to find that equilibrium on its own, it has let me down on the gaining weight part.
    More than one surgeon talks about the body wanting to go back to that high weight.

But... this did not happen overnight, it happened during the last 1,5 month.
    It is not that I mind the gain, I really can use it.
    It is the thought of not stopping that regain in my (pre set) time.
    In other words, I want to control my body.
    How is that for a control freak, hm?

I would be extremely pleased to hover around that 114.
    As long as I know I stay there.
    But one pound can lead to another, as we all know.
    It is like Katrina said: frustrating and for me scaring as well.

But I am still a puppy in this maintaining matter.
    I can't do more than stay on top of this and keep doing what I am doing now.
    Time will tell.
    But I will keep y'all informed, because I really love all of your thoughts on this.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Love you all, and love your advice. I'm joining Weight Watchers today, going to see it in print that I'm 10 pounds over what I weighed last summer, 5 pounds over my goal. I like the accountability of WW, and it really is how we are to eat.

I AM strong, I could mow all your lawns, no problem. I hiked 2 hours in snowshoes up and down mountains and it was like a stroll in the park. I can ski all day long. Just had blood work done and everything's perfect. I need to concentrate on the positives, not that stupid number on the scale. All along I have said my goal was to look like a normal person, not skinny. I have met that goal. But then I hear about all of you weighing next to nothing and get jealous.

So for now my first goal will be to get back to where my jeans aren't tight. I haven't and will not buy any new clothes! I've got this. My long term goal will be to lose 15 pounds by August to be in Kilimanjaro hiking weight. Sounds totally reasonable for 6 months.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Yes!
    You ARE strong, both physically and mentally.
    You can and will do this.
    No doubt in my mind.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Love you all, and love your advice. I'm joining Weight Watchers today, going to see it in print that I'm 10 pounds over what I weighed last summer, 5 pounds over my goal. I like the accountability of WW, and it really is how we are to eat.

I AM strong, I could mow all your lawns, no problem. I hiked 2 hours in snowshoes up and down mountains and it was like a stroll in the park. I can ski all day long. Just had blood work done and everything's perfect. I need to concentrate on the positives, not that stupid number on the scale. All along I have said my goal was to look like a normal person, not skinny. I have met that goal. But then I hear about all of you weighing next to nothing and get jealous.

So for now my first goal will be to get back to where my jeans aren't tight. I haven't and will not buy any new clothes! I've got this. My long term goal will be to lose 15 pounds by August to be in Kilimanjaro hiking weight. Sounds totally reasonable for 6 months.
    Lots of collective wisdom in this group, for which I am so grateful.

Ann2, in retrospect, at least in my case, I think as I went back through my food journal, I see a trend which I was not noticing (ignoring?). A few more carbs of the less than healthy types. So back to MINDFUL eating and see what happens. I always appreciate your candor and kindness in reminding us of the tried and true things that have worked for you, and for many of us.

Sraebaer, I am sure you can do it. I do not want to buy new clothes, unless they are the same size replacing something. My clothes fit well, but like DutchSleeve I am not too far out (15 months) from my sleeve. I don't entirely trust my body since past performance was my indicator. But there has been that major change of the tool of VGS.

Katrina, I do agree your experience is vastly different than most of us -- I might have said "outlaw" rather than "outlier", lol!

Hoping spring weather (whenever it comes) brings lots of positive changes with it for everyone.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't understand it either, Ann, but I'm sure not complaining about it. I hope it stays this way forever. Do you think the homeostasis and automatic regain thing maybe just applies to those of us that got really low, and below our ideal weight? Those of you that made it to a healthy weight and maintained there don't seem to have this whereas a few of us all seem to be showing the same pattern of getting well below, having a regain after a year or so, then stabilizing at a healthy weight.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

There you might have a point Katrina.
    Maybe this IS something that happens to people who loss weight till a very low BMI.
    For me I know I did nothing special to loose so much, it just happened.
    Of course I could eat less by then, but since I was eating more, I did not gain, until now.

Yes Annie, I think that mindful eating applies to most of us.
    We are not naturally thin, obesity is a chronic disease and we will always have to be very careful.
    I am so glad I knew this from the start.
    That is why it surprises me so much to see, that there are wls patients out there, that seem to think they can eat anything and still loose weight.
    Well, you do the first year, of course, but they do not learn to eat healthy... and then the trouble starts.
    On another board I was on, people went to MacDonalds in their pureed stage and threw the Big Macs into a blender.
    And pizza and other stuff.
    Unbelievable.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Such a great thread! I have no one or nothing to blame for my weight gain except me. It's amazing how after 5 years old habits can come roaring back! I have gone back to basics by returning to this site, being mindful of what I'm eating, and the most important thing for me is working out. I've been toying with the idea of returning to WW, but seriously, I think it would depress me. I did WW for many many years. Yes, its great for accountability, but I think WW like a digital scale will just make me more manic So for now, I'm going to continue to be mindful of what I'm doing, I'm going to continue to block out my schedule and make sure that I'm working out three days a week and like jerzeygirl said a few days ago "I'm going to be kind to myself."

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Overall I think maintaining is the worth part of the job post sleeve. I never saw anywhere someone saying is was easy, what ever the way it is going...keeping the same exact weight seems like almost impossible.

I did learn a lot in my classes (nutrition degree) about different diets to treat different kind of patient (diabetic, cancer patient, crohn's disease etc...) but I realized at some point that the obesity chapter didn't really tell much about our disease.

Besides balancing what's in and what's out, equilibrium micro macro etc...many aspect like inflammation, microbiota, food intolerance (not a real allergy but can make us sick and do add to inflammation and other issues) could have been part of that chapter. Because obesity=inflammation. And it was not.
    I'm currently contemplating to have more allergy testing done because the last one did show new things (my first one was 30 years ago, they only looked at environmental like pollen, cat's hair etc) my second one in December was testing food but not enough...

All that to say that I tried many things on myself since I wanted answers.
    What I noticed around 18 months out was that my weight could fluctuate from 2 to 4 pounds. And it didn't bulge for months what ever exercise regimen I would follow. I was not eating much (at my BMR!) and actually when we moved back to France, and I started to eat a bigger variety of food, I started to lose again. I lost the last 10 pounds in 4 months, eating at my BMR or a little more. But exercise was also little different.

So I understand that this gain is stressing you out. Indeed, I was stressed too. But I decided once for all that in my book I would worry only if the gain did reach 5 pounds. because up to 4, for me those pounds are usually 'floating" and not staying..

Since you are currently traveling, you are not eating exactly the same food. I mean each country is different, different soil, veggies or meat would be a little different too.
    Who knows how this is affecting your body? I think in Taiwan something was stopping my weight loss. On paper I should have been in calorie deficit for months . And loosing! But I was not.
    Two weeks ago at the hospital I was actually talking to one of the endocrinologist doctor, and showing how my weight didn't change for months when I should have been losing. She said that many factors could have been an influence on my chart, but it could be nearly impossible to know what and why. I was thinking "Peri-menopause" crazy hormones, she said yes (hormones it's her field!), that could be it. But our food can also influence our hormones....

So wait until you are in an other country for a few weeks and see what happen. You might have a good surprise!! :-D

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

That makes a lot of sense Sandra, thanks.
    I just looked at my excel sheet (yes, I keep track... ) and I noticed the weight gain started when I arrived in Morocco.
    In about 1,5 month I'll be in Greece, lets see what happens...

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    That makes a lot of sense Sandra, thanks.
    I just looked at my excel sheet (yes, I keep track... ) and I noticed the weight gain started when I arrived in Morocco.
    In about 1,5 month I'll be in Greece, lets see what happens...
    Keeping track is important, and looking at the past and seeing where we are coming from also help manage stalls on a more positive way. After loosing 90 pounds in total, a stall will be more bearable than after losing only 5...

I do keep track too, I started in 2011 when my weight started to be out of control after two pneumonia, lots of antibiotics and cortisone.
    tracking my weight at least twice a month during issues did help me understand how changing job, moving, or even pollen allergy season could affect my weight over the years! because I saw a recurrence for those events.

I hope the Mediterranean diet will help you get back to your previous weight!!!
    New country/food could really have been the culprit.

For example, I realized that even if on paper I eat the same amount of carbs, when it's corn, (grits, tortilla, corn bread etc) in some countries a little corn is fine, in others I do gain weight. And I don't think the issue is GMO because it was always organic. It might just be an issue with the corn's race?? don't know...
    I'm careful with corn...

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

We'll see what happens Sandra.
    It is not that I mind the gaining, I am afraid that the gaining doesn't stop.
    I'll just have to wait and monitor... so not my style...

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    11-03-2019 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Very interesting talks - but if I cross a line here with my comments don’t hesitate to tell me to go “pound” sand!!

Since I’m only FIVE days post-op I can’t really relate to what everyone is mentioning here about gaining a few pounds, although I may very well be joining in wholeheartedly if I were in any of your shoes.

Since beginning this journey I’ve acknowledged that, for me, the NUMBER ONE reason for WLS is to be HEALTHY - both physically and mentally. When I met with my therapist pre-op he asked me what I thought would be my “best for me” goal weight. I told him about 115. He thought I would look too gaunt at that weight and thought a more realistic goal would be between 150-160 lbs. I’m thinking I would probably be best at 130-140 lbs and would be tickled pink to reach that range. I can only hope and pray at this point!

HOWEVER, I DO NOT want to be skinny and I don’t want to constantly beat myself up if my weight fluctuates within the range I’ve set.

I DO want to be HEALTHY, learn the right way to cook and eat (making it fun along the way!), much more active and position myself, God-willing, to attend every one of my grandchildren’s high school graduations, weddings, etc. These are the goals I’m concentrating on - and will be the metrics I will use to measure my SUCCESS!

Also not planning to routinely use a scale at home - instead of the scale I’m planning to use pairs of jeans that I have in so many sizes I could stock JC Penny. My doctor visits will give me the actual numbers.

So, please stop beating yourselves up - you’ve all shown such mental and physical strength to get where you are today!

Best, Deb

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=DebF;605074]Very interesting talks - but if I cross a line here with my comments don’t hesitate to tell me to go “pound” sand!!

Hi Deb!

No worries, it's an open forum, everyone can say/write whatever he/she feels!

The regain thing is a big deal when you reach your goal (or in my case my doc's I ould like to go a little lower), takes for ever to do it and you see the pounds creeping back and you are powerless to change the situation.

Somewhere we will all regain at some point (stats are here, regain for sure at 2 years for 95%) but the most important is to keep the benefice of the surgery, and not fall off the wagon.

But after so much effort, it is hard to deal with the regain. Because it does feel like a big failure. And it does remind us each time how hard it was to be morbidly obese.

I've been regaining with medication. I'm gaining each week and don't know when I will be able to stop my treatment. So far I need it to stay alive so I don't have a choice.
    But still, after so much trouble, effort, dedication, to reach (at two years!!) my surgeon's prediction, I know I did gain because of the medication, but still....a set back is a set back, and somewhere I'm again gaining weight because I'm sick, and it was that very same way that did put me in the class 3 obesity category. And it's not a good "deja vu".
    Yet, I know I'm lucky I still have a very good restriction, so I know I will be able to reverse the situation once my doc clear me...it's just a matter of time...but much effort again to come. to reach again a weight where I was only a few weeks ago. When the scale is moving the wrong way, it can only be painful.

Most of us did that surgery for health reasons. But regaining can put us back in a complicated situation. I got sick and gained weight, the weight I gained is making me sicker...see what I mean? it is very complicated and....emotional too...but a good success in this journey will take a well informed and compliant patient.
    So if you need advice about nutrition, come back here, you will find help!

I wish you an easy recovery and success in your journey.

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I've had a great deal to think about with all the posts, information and opinions. Appearance is a very subjective thing, and when I look at other people, I certainly don't judge them harshly. I'm 66. I've had 4 c/secs, and 7 pregnancies. I've had major abdominal surgery besides a failed triple bypass, different types of cancer, strokes and I am still here!

My weight is a marker of my mental health in some ways. I suspect most of us have had "interesting" relationships with food, and with body image based on expectations, both our own and societies. I know I deal with anxiety with OCD behaviors, and so trying to balance realistic tracking of weight and calories with control compulsions. (Not easy being "green", lol {my last name}}.

This thread has really helped me do some clarifying thinking about where I go with all this.

Thank you all for being so open.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

28. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just an observation about the scale... I believe every one of us in this thread who have lost and successfully kept off our weight weigh ourselves daily. Measuring by the size of your jeans is not a very effective indicator in my opinion. I'm still wearing the same jeans at with my weight between 113 and 117 as I was when I was at my lowest of 102. I think if I hadn't weighed myself daily and suddenly saw that much gain, I would have really lost my shit. I like the accountability the scale provides.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114