Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Considering traveling to Mexico for procedure

1. Lcardullo
    Lcardullo
    Hello,

I'm a newbie to this site/group - found it when researching some options for having the gastric sleeve done in Mexico. I live in FL and my insurance does not cover the procedure. I am 54 years old, have type 2 diabetes that is not well controlled mainly due to my eating. I am at a point where I feel this is the best option for me but I cannot afford 20k to have the procedure done locally. I am considering Dr. Almanaza at the Jerusalem Clinic and would love to hear from others who have used him or anyone with recommendations. One of my biggest concerns is what happens if complications develop. Does anyone know how that would be handled from an insurance perspective? Also, I've heard that you go home with stitches in and need to find someone to remove them or remove them yourself. Any insight that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Also, what about returning to work....I would a full time demanding (but sedantary) position. How soon have others been able to return to work full time.

Thanks!

Linda
  2. Garv@2069
    Garv@2069
    Hello Lady Linda - The gastric sleeve is the least evasive way to go. I utilized the services of Dr. Alvarez $9K also in Mexico and most definitely would again. $9K moneys included hotel stays, meds, hospital, anesthesiologist, surgeon/surgery/nursing care/translator, and follow-up care. The follow-up care is continuous even long distance. I'm 64 had the surgery in Feb and have lost 103 lbs. No stitches to remove only 5 scope holes with tape and gauze pads which needed to be kept dry for a limited time, scope holes all now healed. I showered Thursday morning before leaving Mexico before leaving the hospital. No pain to report following procedure. I'm a Pastor in MN and had the surgery on Tues felt good, woke up Thurs in Mexico, Fri in Topeka, KS and was home that night. I did all the driving 1400 mi and returned to work within a week of my arriving home, and felt I could have done so even sooner. I did have insurance but it wouldn't cover sleeve procedure so Dr. Alvarez was my choice, he does a sleeve every day and the procedural success is legendary to include celebrity clients. My opinion is sleeve is the only way to go.
  3. Garv@2069
    Garv@2069
    Hello Lady Linda - The gastric sleeve is the least evasive way to go. I utilized the services of Dr. Alvarez $9K also in Mexico and most definitely would again. $9K moneys included hotel stays, meds, hospital, anesthesiologist, surgeon/surgery/nursing care/translator, and follow-up care. The follow-up care is continuous even long distance. I'm 64 had the surgery in Feb and have lost 103 lbs. No stitches to remove only 5 scope holes with tape and gauze pads which needed to be kept dry for a limited time, scope holes all now healed. I showered Thursday morning before leaving Mexico before leaving the hospital. No pain to report following procedure. I'm a Pastor in MN and had the surgery on Tues felt good, woke up Thurs in Mexico, Fri in Topeka, KS and was home that night. I did all the driving 1400 mi and returned to work within a week of my arriving home, and felt I could have done so even sooner. I did have insurance but it wouldn't cover sleeve procedure so Dr. Alvarez was my choice, he does a sleeve every day and the procedural success is legendary to include celebrity clients. My opinion is sleeve is the only way to go.
  4. ChaiDi
    ChaiDi
    Linda, I had my sleeve done by Dr. Almanza last November 17th. I'm 64 so I too was a bit worried but had the surgery on Thursday, flew home on Sunday and went back to work full time (secretary) on Monday and have never looked back! I guess I'm really one of the lucky ones because I breezed through all of it! Some moderate gas pain and tummy felt like I'd been punched for a week or so, but really no other problems. No nausea, able to tolerate each new food and can now eat almost anything, only just small amounts. Have never been dehydrated, have stopped taking BP meds, no longer being told I snore or need a CPAP. I would do it again in a heartbeat! However...everyone is different and you really shouldn't base how you'll feel or respond on anyone else's journey. For the most part though everything you'll read on this forum will be positive. I am down 61 lbs. To some that might not seem like a lot in a year and I admit I have lost slower than others and slower than I had hoped I would, but then what can you expect after abusing your body for the first 60 years of your life? The good news is the scales just keep moving in the right direction and I'm OK with even a couple of pounds a month. One of the important things for me was to be able to go out with family and friends and be able to eat normal food, even if I could only eat a few bites and then take the rest home. I just didn't want to feel like the odd man out or deprived of a social life. I can usually make one restaurant meal last 3 or 4 meals! ha! I have learned that even with the sleeve TOOL this is very much a head game!!! My head (eyes) sees food and my nose smells food and I ultimately WANT food. I LOVE carbs, but I've learned they don't love me so much any more. Feels like they get "stuck" at the bottom of the esophagus before entering the stomach. After a few episodes of that I just don't seem to want them so much anymore! ha! But I can tell you I feel better than I have since I was 30 years old and I get compliments all the time about how good I'm looking. There are no magic pills or surgeries as the case may be but this was by far the best thing I've ever done for myself! Just go into it knowing it's only one part of the puzzle and with the right attitude you can handle however your own body handles the surgery and the gas pain and the eating changes. Your attitude will detrmine your altitude! There will be some days that are more difficult (like when you stall) but then there will be days when you'll want to turn cartwheels because you go shopping and don't have to but PLUS sizes anymore! But above everything else your health is what matters the most and the sleeve has truly given me my life back! No more swelling in my legs and ankles, no more huffing and puffing trying to walk a flight of stairs. Just yesterday I climbed into the back of a pickup to help unload something and I got accused of now acting like a 20 year old! LOVED IT!!!
  5. vwpeery
    vwpeery
    Had my sleeve done by Dr alvarez and was very happy. Twice the price of Jeruselem clinic but worth every penny. My family researched for me and it was unanimous that Dr alverez who wrote the book on the procedure was the way to go. Insurence would not pay, I was too healthy. Ha! 75 pounds in 6 months, so so happy. Back at work in one week. Cannot say enough good about it. No foods I cannot eat, just in small amounts or I feel horrible. I eat healthy, just small amounts. I wish I could have done this myself, but could not. Go for it. Valerie