Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Menopause....stopped pausing!

1. Grace
    Grace
    Hey All!
    This one's for the ladies - in case there are any guys lurking...
    Anyone else's hormones going nuts since being sleeved?
    I had nasty hot flashes up til I had my surgery, then they stopped
    for all the past 5 1/2 months and now.. they're baaack!
    May have nothing to do with surgery...wondering if anyone else had menopausus interuptus (made that up) and then it started up again.
    Hoping this go round is it's last hurrah as I'll be 53 in July...

Also, in the same line of thinking - I'm concerned about using even bioidentical hormones to get some of my mojo back because I don't know if it will mess with my hunger.... any thoughts?
  2. Candypk
    Candypk
    Hormones always made me gain weight....good luck with that, those hot flashes are awful...
  3. gbrs
    gbrs
    Now this sounds awefully familiar! I am 52, and my wicked hot flashes stopped right after my surgery 10-13-11. Now you've got me worried they are coming back! I have had one period since surgery- New Year's Day. I am very leary of HRT.
  4. dennek
    dennek
    I'm 58 and my hot flashes come & go. Sometimes 2 months sometimes 5 months. It's been 6 years!! I tried the AM/PM Menopause pills Costco sells and they worked great. However I have clotting issues and my Doc said no-no-no. My sis is still taking them and doing well. They're all natural and not real expensive. Hope this helps
  5. letsgo
    letsgo
    I had the same issue had wicked hot flashes and haven't had one since I was sleeved on Jan 4, 2012. I sure hope they don't come back!
  6. PinkLyfe
    PinkLyfe
    I hope I can get rid of my hot flashes with the VSG. I went through menopause 2 yrs ago and still have hot flashes. So irritating!
  7. Grace
    Grace
    So, good news bad new situation... the hot flashes mostly stopped but I think it's because I'm using a natural progesterone cream. It's helping with my sex drive but it's also making me hungry. Apparently my sex drive and my food drive are in the same place...so I am going to have to decide what to do now... currently thinking I'd like to have a sex drive but temporarily I'd give it up to finish dropping weight... then I'll start again once I'm done this part of my journey. sigh...
  8. dderight
    dderight
    I hope I am lucky enough to have the hot flashes stop after surgery. They are awful.
  9. LindaJ
    LindaJ
    Hi all, I am 57 and 2 years post menopause. I can tell you I do not take any HRTs and my sex drive rebounded pretty quickly after menopause.
    So if you find the progesterone cream is interfering with your weight loss, you might want to consider your options. Just sharing I am not a doctor, thank goodness.
  10. MrsPiggy549
    MrsPiggy549
    Was taking HRT, prior to my surgery. Doctor had me remove the patch, 1 month pre-op. Have not had a hot flash since then...Will be 1-year soon, yeah! As a matter of fact, I feel much cooler than I have in years; need a sweater when in a/c, which I cannot control (movies, restaurants, etc.). Lovin' my sleeve...Oh, BTW~ I'll be 63 on Wednesday, but feel more like 36!
  11. BCmomabear
    BCmomabear
    I think that a general anesthetic often disrupts hormone cycles, I am in the middle of a fairly smooth menopause, except for the hot flashes. I find that avoiding alcohol makes a huge sufferance. As well, a ceiling fan is good at night. I also bought a very expensive nightie, but it's very good at reducing sweating. It is made of RAW silk woven with bamboo (as I recall). It has definitely made my nights better. My husband finds that I don't heat up the bed as badly as I used to. Was worth the investment.
  12. BCmomabear
    BCmomabear
    RE typo above- should read DIFFERENCE rather than SUFFERANCE. Ironic spell check booboo.
  13. Jollymom
    Jollymom
    That's interesting that the hot flashes stopped after your surgery. My surgery is in a couple of weeks and that would be a nice side effect. As for hormones, I took bioidenticals for a couple of years and got a lump in my breast. I did not really feel any difference while I was on them so I stopped. (the lump was benign, thank God)
  14. Amanda K
    Amanda K
    Hi everyone
    Well I am being sleeved on Wednesday. I am 54 still waiting for the flushes, night sweats and hairy face and other hideous things!
    But I did go through a rough time mentally nearly 2 yrs ago and have a psychiatrist who keeps me medicated, but been feeling great for the last 6 months. So maybe that was my menopause, not sure. Or can you get the other symptoms later in your 50's. But my sex drive is pretty low, maybe because I have been with the same man for 32 yrs!!!!!!!! lol.
    Goog luck for your coming up op.
  15. incredibleshrnkngshirly
    incredibleshrnkngshirly
    I'm 54 too and I've been putting up with the whole harmone thing for years now. It started in my thirties and worked its way up to now. I still have hot flashes but not the night sweats....don't miss those mama jamas at all! Keep thinking when I get real skinny the will stop...we will see!
  16. CathyBERN
    CathyBERN
    I am only 6 weeks out from surgery but I am freezing all the time right now. I know I had a 10 day long period which I have never had before, I am hoping the surgery didn't throw me into pre menopause.
  17. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    There is no medical term called "pre-menopause," you may be thinking of perimenopause, which is simply the period from 35-51 and can cover a wide amount of symptoms, some of which many women may or may not experience. If you're curious/concerned about this it would be good to schedule a visit w/ your gynecologist.

Your coldness is one that's commonly associated after sleeve surgery; for most people it abates over time...try wearing layers and whatever else you can do to keep warm in the interim.
  18. butterscott
    butterscott
    My surgery is scheduled for November 2012. I am over the moon to hear that I can lose weight and possible no more hot flashes! God is good! I am 55 and it is still so hard to believe that I can lose weight. I currently weight 255. Will I really lose weight? Is 50 pounds too much to hope for? Please reply
  19. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    Unless you have a disease like Hashimoto's, yes, you will. And even people w/ thyroid issues (like me) and Hashimoto's lose, so you have a good chance. The hard part is keeping it off, but that's another worry for another day. For now, welcome, pull up a chair, sit down, and feel free to roam the forums for folks and conversations that appeal to you.

I can't speak for the hot flashes; but my periods (except the last, and that's partly my fault) have been MUCH better. I'm not in menopause yet but it's trying to catch me. Give it five, six more years, or, as I have kept hoping throughout my life, they come up w/ a cure before then!