Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Horrible GERD - Help!

1. Her Moojesty
    Her Moojesty
    Part One: I am just over 3 months out, and I am REALLY SUFFERING from absolutely horrible GERD. In other words, rising stomach acid. It just keeps getting worse as time goes by. I have seen two doctors, the first one didn't help much. He gave me a script for liquid Zantac, which helps, for only about 15 minutes. Then it's right back to the burning pain. The second doctor prescribed a drug called Dexilant. It is a proton pump inhibitor, like Prevacid and Prilosec, but it is stronger and longer lasting, (time released.) It's also really expensive. It is helping, but I still need to drink a lot of the Zantac too. I also need GasX pills every time I eat, and sometimes, even when I haven't eaten a thing. My stomach just boils with burps that won't come up. I can feel and hear the air rising, but it gets stuck and won't come out my mouth. Extremely uncomfortable. (continued in next post)
  2. Her Moojesty
    Her Moojesty
    Part Two: No diet choices are responsible for this acid and gas either, I get it on an empty stomach and even while drinking plain water. What the heck am I going to do if this doesn't go away? I can't even lay down to sleep, the acid wakes me up. I can't live like this forever. I got my sleeve with Dr. Almanza in Mexico, so I have nobody to "follow up with". Just local doctors who loudly ask "what have you done to yourself?" and really have very little sympathy for me. Does anyone else have this problem, and what are you doing to help it? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,
    Her Moojesty
  3. julieperuch
    julieperuch
    I dont know how to help or what to say. Have you emailed Dr Almanza? Is there another doctor who has done the same surgery that you could talk to or go and see? I hope you can fond an answer and some relief..xx
  4. jallese
    jallese
    That sounds like it was really bad. Can you update us on the situation? Did it get better?
  5. jerzeygirl
    jerzeygirl
    I had acid reflux that woke me up for a couple of months. I still take a Zantac (OTC) daily. I found sleeping w/2 pillows (elevated) helped and lots of Tums. It seemed to go away on its own after a couple of months, more after I began "eating" instead of only drinking. It used to feel like I was having a heart attack and scared me. The farther out, the better; just like lots of other post-op conditions. I wish you success and hopefully, it will resolve w/some care and time.
  6. aerohead78
    aerohead78
    I was given a script for Nexium....I CANNOT function, eat, or breath without it. I tried to wean myself off of this as it is costly and began taking Omeprazole OTC. Not happening. I was miserable and sick all the time. As I stated, could not eat, breath, or function as I was in so much misery. It is costly, but I will not try to replace it ever again.
  7. TexasLady
    TexasLady
    I have not been sleeved and also suffer from acid reflux, taking medication daily for years. My doctor said he could do a quick surgery to fix the problem forever, but it would be a separate surgery and would have to be done BEFORE THE SLEEVE SURGERY. IT CANNOT BE DONE ONCE YOU HAVE HAD THE SLEEVE SURGERY. I had it bad, but since I've been on the pre-op diet I have come completely off my medication. Hearing these stories makes me afraid that it might come back. Did any of you have the tube run down your nose to your stomach during surgery? I understand that really helps, as bad as it sounds.
  8. CathyBERN
    CathyBERN
    I had it last night so bad, that I had to drink an once of Pepsi. Three saltine crackers and Pepsi helped me last night, But I believe I got it from eating a hamburger steak with grilled onions ... so my fault for eating greasy food! I am praying it will not happen again.