Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Welcome dbcherish!

1. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Part 1: I'm so glad you joined the group. I just wanted to let you know that the Gastric Sleeve is the best thing you could possibly do for yourself with what we've got going on. The sleeve will not allow us to sabotage ourselves. And we both know the moment we get off track when we try to lose weight, something might easily trigger us to overeat and then all of our efforts just seem like a waste and then we start eating poorly again. The good thing about the sleeve is you don't get to eat out of emotion, because it will make you physically ill in some form or fashion, and the next day you don't wake up with the guilt and continue to overeat if you're feeling helpless or mad at yourself for sabotaging yourself. There are no more vicious cycles. Everyday is a new day to a healthier, skinnier you. If you're 5 pounds heavier the next day, it won't be because you overindulged on your favorite food the day before, it will just be water weight, which usually precedes a massive weight loss.
  2. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Part 2: ALSO, don't beat yourself up if you haven't quite followed all of the strict rules to a "T" after surgery. That's really hard for us, to be so regimented, and from what you've told me in the group, you may end up obsessing over it like I did and beating yourself up and worrying the moment you didn't do something exactly right. The physical nature of your body after surgery will take care of everything for us. You can not go wrong and you can do no wrong. I will talk more with you later, but just be confident that this surgery is the best thing for a person like you or I and just leave it at that (if you can). One worry at a time, is my motto. I'd prefer no worries, but that's impossible. It controls us, so we can just let go of that fear that we may lose control of things being the perfectionists that we are. Isn't that exciting?? I can't wait to talk with you more! Surgery will be here sooner than you know it. I'm so happy for you!
  3. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Part 3: (Apparently this forum doesn't want me to type more than 1000 characters )I just realized I didn't answer your question about coping mechanisms. That's a tough one. Being Bipolar, I am often prone to addiction as a coping mechanism. I just knew I would exchange overeating for another addiction after the surgery, but I haven't so far, thank goodness. I've suffered from other addictions prior to food. Addiction to exercise, cigarettes, drinking too much at times and some other unmentionables, but nothing too terribly serious. I think exercise was the healthiest coping mechanism for me ever. I think overeating was the biggest killer of all of my coping mechanisms.
  4. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Part 4: Now that I've lost a considerable amount of weight in just 6 weeks, I don't feel like I'm coping, I feel like I'm living. I hadn't had the energy or self control to cook for my daughter in her 3 years of life, and recently I've been cooking for her and I don't even have to or want to eat it. I cope by doing more around the house for my mom, I'm just on my feet doing stuff I would have turned my nose up at years ago, but after being trapped under 307 lbs for 3-4 yrs, I'm not having to cope anymore, I'm just living. That may sound crazy, but doing little things for other people that I couldn't do before is how I'm coping, and I didn't realize that until I was asked this question by you, so thank you.
  5. dbcherish
    dbcherish
    Wow, thanks Hennessy! Everything you've said totally speaks to me so thank you. It's good to hear that you haven't found yourself coping but rather living. Amen to that ! I have an extremely addictive personality and I have also been worried about that but I am excited to know that there is support here for my weak moments. Thank you!
  6. Hennessy
    Hennessy
    Anytime. I'm totally here for you and I'm so dang paranoid that I've asked every question in the book about what happens after the gastric sleeve, so I have lots of answers. I needed it to maintain whatever is left of my sanity So anything goes, whatever your struggles, please let me know. Alcoholism is one thing that we really need to worry about, even if we are not alcoholics. That is a general concern for all gastric sleeve patients because it doesn't absorb the way it used to, and people end up drinking too much, because drinking, whether it be sodas or beer, does not fill you up. Not to mention that all of the calories will bring your weight loss to a screeching halt!
  7. sarahjayne823
    sarahjayne823
    Thanks for starting a group like this! As I was contemplating the sleeve, I made it very clear to my surgeon that I would NEVER compromise my mental health to be thin. I worked very dilligently with my psychiatrist to change over one of my medications to an injectible so as not to be left without it when I was unable to take it directly after surgery. (With all that being said, I have bipolar disorder -- been diagnosed for 11 years and THANK GOD, been very, very well and stable for 8 years. The medication in question is Invega -- it has been a great medication for me. If you're not familiar with it, it's a newer-cleaner, version of Risperdal. As Invega is an extended release medication, my surgeon would not allow me to take it directly after surgery for that reason.) My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, August 7th! I'm hoping that all goes well and I have a fast, easy recovery. I hope to talk to you all soon! As me any questions, as I am very open and honest about my journey.