Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

64 too old ?

1. olygal
    olygal
    I am encouraged to see there is a group of over 60 who have had or are planning gastric sleeve surgery. I aim wondering if 64 is too old to consider this surgery. I would love to hear your opinions.
  2. Kathi S
    Kathi S
    I am 68 and had gastric sleeve surgery last year. I lost about 60 lbs but only want to lose about 10 more. You are not too old. It is all up to you. What do you want? How do you feel. I felt great, recovered quickly and felt better and better as the weight came off. Keeping it off is the issue but worth the effort.
  3. mkrider
    mkrider
    I had my sleeve almost 2 years ago. I've lost 65lbs. I have a before and after picture in my profile.Tomorrow I will be 64, but feel so much younger and more energetic! I have no regrets having it done later in life!
  4. CyndieB
    CyndieB
    I am in the process of getting approved for surgery.. I am so glad to find this forum! I am 61 and I have felt like the only one my age doing this. I'm so glad to find out I'm not. I want to feel better and be able to move and walk more. Life is short, I want to live it and enjoy it.
  5. CyndieB
    CyndieB
    Mkrider, I looked at your before and after pictures. You look so wonderful. Exactly what I am going for. I'm so excited after seeing some ladies that are a little bit older having success and looking great! Now I am really anxious to get the ball going! But, tests, tests and more tests, my Dr says it will probably take 6 months to get approved. I'm on my way though...this will be the year!

I wish you continued success. You are an inspiration to many.
  6. poodlecamper
    poodlecamper
    Hi, I'm 65 and had my surgery on 10/4. I plan to live a long time, and to finally be able to do so much more than Im able to now.
    Good luck to you!
  7. last time
    last time
    Hi
    Scheduled for ESG in mid October. A bit nervous, as I'm 68 and simply tired of losing and regaining weight. Probably have lost over 200 lbs in the last 20 years and unable to keep it off. So this is a last ditch effort. I don't want to live the rest of my life overweight. My biggest fear is that I'm only 5' tall and currently weigh 180. My all time high was 200 lbs. Is this too drastic a step for someone my age and weight?
  8. AnnieG
    AnnieG
    I'm 65, had my VSG 10/5/17 and am down 61 lbs, and 48+ inches. My health numbers (including all the blood work etc.) are perfect. And I'm feeling better than I have in years. My health has so improved and I'm enjoying my friends and family soooo much more now that I can be out and about without feeling ghastly.

It is drastic, but I sort of feel like I've eaten a lot of stuff over my lifetime, and food as medicene for health rocks.
  9. CarolynD
    CarolynD
    I"m glad to find this group. I'm 64 and will have VSG on April 10,2018. Looking forward to getting off meds and feeling energetic for the first time in years!
  10. Ann2
    Ann2
    Hi, CarolynD. I had VSG surgery at age 68. I bet you'll do just fine. I know someone who had VSG surgery at age 73, and he's rockin' it.
  11. ConnieM
    ConnieM
    I am going to be 70 May 15> I asked my Dr if I was too old for this surgery and he said absolutely not, his oldest pt was 75. So I'm not going to worry about it. I have my first appointment on Tues April 24 and he said surgery would probably be 3-4 month down the line since he does a battery of tests to check heart,sleep study and numerous others before scheduling surgery.
    so we can do this together.
  12. DHB
    DHB
    I had surgery just before my 64th birthday. Five months later, I've lost 50lbs and it feels like 20 years. I have so much more energy and I'm able to do so many activities I had given up on. My knees feel better than they have in 20 years.
  13. AnnieG
    AnnieG
    I was 65 1/2 last October when I had my sleeve. I hit goal at 6 months, and as Dale said, way more energy and my health has improved amazingly -- better than when I was in my late 40's. It's been forever since I felt this good.

Things that resolved: chronic unmanageable angina 24/7; diabetes; cholesterol; osteoarthritis in hips & knees; no more break outs (sugar); BMI is normal; waist circumference is normal; clarity of thinking.

Other -- well, my skin has improved, and while my birthday suit could use a steam press, I don't have a lot of "splunky" skin. My arms are the loosest, but I have not done any weights or anything yet. My tattoos did shrank back and look great (yeah, I know that's a weird one). I did have hair loss, but I also had to have a 2nd surgery the same day with transfusions; that with the weight loss being more rapid than I thought makes it quite normal. Since I have had cancer treatment separate times, I am an ace with wigs; it will grow back.

Regrets? That I didn't do it sooner! If I had known, I would have. Best decision ever.