Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Travel Home

1. Jessie2
    Jessie2
    I've read so many testimonies that have really set me at ease about traveling to TJ, the procedure, etc., but my big question mark is the trip home. I live on the east coast of the US so it'll be a very long day of travel for me. What is that like while recovering from surgery?

Thanks for any insights!
  2. Rob0079
    Rob0079
    I live in RI and it went just fine. Snag some extra jello on your way out for the plane ride and bring a bottle of water with you. If it’s not to expensive upgrade to first class. Makes the long trip much more comfortable. Walk when you can.
  3. rcupps@sbcglobal.net
    rcupps@sbcglobal.net
    I left TJ at 6am and got home at 2am the next day. Very tired but fine. Don’t fear the travel time.
  4. zoey101
    zoey101
    I also live on the East Coast in Connecticut so I flew into Boston. So my first suggestion is ask for a wheelchair and it's not that you will really need one but if you get it they usually put you in the first row on the plane which has allot more leg room. And like the other person said if you can afford 1st class then go for it, you can also be asked to be bumped up to first class at no extra charge if there is an empty seat. I have been lucky in the past to get bumped up at no additional cost, it depends on how nice the airline people feel like being that day so be extra sweet to them and see what happens.

I arrived at the airport way to early and I wanted to go home so bad I asked to get on an earlier flight. They let me do this but the "B" behind the counter charged me an additional $439.00. Looking back she NEVER should have charged me and I never should have agreed to pay but I was desperate and didn't want to be alone for 6 hours by my self. Anyway I got the wheelchair and they did put me at the window in the first row and it was wonderful. I wore compression knee high socks and messaged my legs allot and moved around in the seat as much as possible, I was nervous about blood clots and this reassured me that I wouldn't have any issues and I didn't. One big mistake I made was bringing my laptop which I never even used but now I had this extremely heavy piece of equipment that I had to bring everywhere in the airport with me. If I didn't have the stupid thing I would have been shopping and walking allover the airport until takeoff so it was a huge inconvenience. If you have an IPAD bring only that, it's allot smaller and lighter and walking around would be much easier.

You should be totally fine just drink lots of water and move around as much as possible. I also suggest that when they give you a few pain pills before you leave the hotel save them and take one right before the flight takes off. If you are completely pain free then obviousle don't take it but make sure you have one if needed.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!
  5. PokerGuy
    PokerGuy
    Flew from TJ to Miami.. 5 hour flight No problems at all.. You usually feel really good the day you fly home as you are on IV right up until you leave for the airport usually. bring bullion and the stewardess can give you hot water to make soup.
  6. Tamera2
    Tamera2
    Surgery was way easier than I thought it would be. Biggest thing is lifting. You will have lifting restrictions for 6 weeks. No pulling or pushing no stress on abdominal muscles. You will need to have help lifting your suitcase. You’ll be on a clear liquid diet. You will be able to buy drinks and jello at the airport plus the airlines have juice and hot water. You can bring bullion cubes from home. You can bring clear liquids and jello from hotel to eat on way to the airport. It can take up to two hours to get to the border in the mornings. I walked around the airport and rested when needed. San D. airport is nice. You will need an isle seat so you can get up and walk periodically, move your feet and legs at times when sitting. I’d recommend getting ted stockings to wear on day your traveling home, they help prevent blood clots too. You will do fine going home. I know plenty of people that traveled from east coast. I live on west coast. Pain was not that bad by the time you travel home. Did not even need pain meds past 3days.
  7. wattek58
    wattek58
    so good to hear these comments. I too will have a long flight home and was concerned about how it would be. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.
    K
  8. jonaspel
    jonaspel
    I love to travel by train with my family on some long journeys. I recently went to Germany in this way, it was very cool
  9. jonaspel
    jonaspel
    I adore trains! Plenty of space in the carriage. You can lie down, walk around the carriage, sit, maybe even do yoga Of course, train romance Tea in a branded cup holder, landscapes floating outside the window, and wheels' peaceful noise make the trip more emotional. Many people feel much more confident on the tracks on the ground than on the highway. This kind of traveling is an opportunity to "kill two birds with one stone" - to save on rental housing and save valuable time. After a sound sleep, you can get acquainted with new cities again. I often travel to Germany because I have relatives there, and if necessary, I use the service dbfahrplanauskunft . Could you let me know if there is a similar and high-quality service in America?