Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

i think that i might be either over doing it or loosing my mind...

1. Martini
    Martini
    ok so my surgery is not until Oct 20th . i was told that i only need a 5 day pre op diet. well this maybe a lil crazy but im gonna start on Oct 1st doing the pre op diet just so that me mentally as well as my body can get use to my future way of eating for a while??? Or should i just stick to the five days that were required ? also i noticed that it is liquids during the day and a protein/ low carb diet at night. is that a norm with these pre op diets? i thought that lots of ppl has some form of all clear liquid diet for at lease the last 3-5 days before surgery?

i just really feel like my nerves are getting the better of me.... am i starting to lose my mind somehow?

i know that i am such a foodie type person thats kind of why im wanting to start this thing early because i am really wanting to make sure that i am really ready for this without in problems
  2. rcupps@sbcglobal.net
    rcupps@sbcglobal.net
    I cut back my eating 30 days before surgery limiting myself to 4 ounces at a meal. I dropped 30 pounds before surgery and mentally knew what my portion sizes would be after. Dont start the full pre diet until the time you are told, it is very hard and you dont want to stress yourself out. By cutting back and watching what you are eating your liver will shrink and all will be good. God Bless You on your new life!
  3. Tamera2
    Tamera2
    Hi Martini, the sole purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink your fatty liver before surgery to help the surgeon safely perform surgery. The five days look like this two meals will be protein shakes ( I like premier protein) than one meal of lean protein and steamed veggies. Doesn’t matter when you have food or shakes. So you could do meal for lunch than shake for dinner and breakfast etc. than on night of day 3 you take laxative to start clean out phase, than 4th day you start clear liquid diet and will stay on clear liquids for 10 days. 7 are from first week of surgery. I loved popsicles especially the otter pops they give you. Next day after surgery they start you on ice chips. Don’t worry it was easy to follow diet. One your nervous and two excited for your new life.
    I would start working on eating healthy & cutting out sugar and bad carbs like white bread,chips, pasta, You can have protein, wheat or veggie pasta. I really like protein pasta. It taste good and texture closes to real pasta. Also start exercising if not already. For best long term results you need to live an active life style. Find what your passion is. Mine is hiking and mountain climbing. I could barely walk up a flight of stairs but before surgery I went out and walked every day and found hills to walk up to burn more calories. I lost 22lbs before surgery doing what I recommended. It really helped to start working to retrain my brain, to get my brain to stop craving bad food, telling me I needed to eat when I didn’t. I did a lot of self talk, lol BUT it worked. Also after surgery your going to have inflammation that will mimic hunger pains and growling. When you finish med they give you week two start nexium or Prevacid two times a day. This really helps that. Last about two months. In beginning you can swallow pills you take liquid or crush pills or empty capsule. You start this week two so empty capsule in applesauce or yogurt carefully swallow without breaking tiny pearls. Hope this helps you and doesn’t overwhelm you. Please feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck you can do this and it will turn out great. I had the best experience down there, you can will be outstanding. Hang in there