Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Over 60 Sleevers

1. Namaste
    Namaste
    Hi:
    My name is Roberta & I'll be sleeved on 6/13 - I am 62 years old. My surgeon has told me age is not a concern. Looking to share with others +60. Thanks.
  2. judge52
    judge52
    Hi
    I think you and I are the only two registered at this time in the over 60 sleevers category.
    I am judge52nand age 60 and have just started this journey. I am a male 304lbs and have attended the seminar and completed all of the paper work for the procedure. I am scheduled for my first appt with the surgeon on June 11 and needless to say I still have concerns about the surgery because of my age and other weight related health issues.

Yet I look forward to getting off the insulin pump BP and Cholesteral Meds. And buying clothes in the regular size section of the mens store.
    How long have you been going thru this process and how have you managed to overcome any fears.
  3. PitPat
    PitPat
    Hello! I'm new to this site and looking for a 'home'. My 'name' is PitPat, I'm 66 years old and so ready for this surgery. I had lapband surgery in October 2010 and it malfunctioned and was removed in October 2012. I've completed everything and now waiting for the last doctors visit. Hopefully, they will call this week.

I want to hear everyone's story so please respond. I do know from past experience that we will need the support of others going through this journey.

Blessings...........
  4. Ms Pandora
    Ms Pandora
    Hello over 60 group,

I am just starting the journey and have yet to meet with a surgeon. For those of you that have had the surgery, how did your Dr. approach any age concerns?
  5. Cindy GS
    Cindy GS
    Hi, I am 65 and went to a seminar yesterday (6/1/13) and I am very interested in the gastric sleeve. I talked to one of the surgeons who has done over 1,800 procedures and asked him about doing this for my age. He said he has done alot of bariatric surgery on patients in their 60's and never had a problem.
  6. Sunny1
    Sunny1
    I'm Sunny1 67 and am scheduled for the sleeve July 2 2013, still a little nevous and anxious because of my age also. Any ideas to calm my anxiety? Haven't started the liquid diet until June 18th, wondered how that will be with no food, anyone been there done that yet? Any pros or cons I should know? Thanks in advance.
  7. judge52
    judge52
    Finally winding down the pre surgical process and it looks like my surgery will be scheduled for the end of Aug or beginning the month of Sept. After receiving all the clearances, I feel confident I am healthy enought to have and be sucessful at this surgery. Initially I felt the groups would be a waste of time but u get to meet people who have had the surgery in your age group and who have lost the weight with no complication, so I reccomend these meetings for everyone considering the surgery. As aman 61 I feel more confident and secure with my decission and look forward to getting off the insulin BP cholesteral and Apnea machine. Best wishes to all and dont let the process discourage u because in the long run its for your benifit.
    Judge52
  8. pkusmc
    pkusmc
    Hi, I am 63 and I will be sleeved on Friday August 9th in Tampa. Don't know how I will do the first few days as I am so sick of water!
  9. Nervia
    Nervia
    Hi! I'm Nervia and sixty...thought long and hard because of my age but decided carrying the weight was probably worse than the surgery could be...Any thoughts, advice?...
  10. judge52
    judge52
    Hi everyone
    Finally got a surgery date(Oct2) Found out I have COPD and being treated withan inhaler, but won't hold up surgery. Have to attend a pre-op appointment to go over final details with the surgery. My wife and I decided to get away for a week prior to surgery. Strange but my Dr did not put me on or mention a pre op diet. He said liquids only 2 days prior to surgery to clear my stomach and nothing after mid night the day before.
    I will keep you posted on how it go with me.
    Best Wishes to All
  11. little5251
    little5251
    Hello everyone I am almost 2 yrs out and I have almost got to goal but, I need motivation real bad!! Starting to gain, I moved to FL and have not
    found work yet, so stress eating as well as boredom has got the best of me. I hope I can give ya'll as well as get support from this group. I am 60 yrs old , Connie
  12. Google jan
    Google jan
    Hi, had my sleeve surgery on Sept. 27. I just turned 67. It would be great to look real good for change, but my main goal is to be able to move around better and get out and do some of the things I have worked all my life to do & now don't feel like doing. Dr.said I may not lose as fast as someone in their 20s or 30s, but I would still lose an major portion of my weight. I'm hoping to have a better life I front of me next year. Best of luck to all of you.
  13. Nervia
    Nervia
    My surgery was 10/01 and all went well. I was the oldest and heaviest person in my group, but it was treated wonderfully. The " youngsters" took care of me throughout the day and made me feel like everyone's mom. At 60 , I expected a bit of a rough recovery but that has been far from the truth. I am back to work and doing fine! Sometimes our age make us more tolerant of a little discomfort and less likely to react to every little "pinch"....
  14. Ann2
    Ann2
    Have just joined the group. Am almost 68 and will probably be scheduled for surgery in 2014. I'd love to hear from the folks (above) who have since been sleeved and learn of your progress thus far.

Thanks,
    Ann
  15. wilsonvirg
    wilsonvirg
    hello everyone, I am 69 and had my surgery on 1/14/14 and after the first few days where my sugar was all over the place and I have some problems with the pain medication making me feel really awful I am doing alright. It is not a quick fix but it is a tool that you have to use the rest of your life. I did have to catch my breath when they pulled out my drain and said this won't hurt as they are pull something that feels like a tractor through your body which must have been down to your toes...lol I am sure that I have done the right thing as my medical situation was getting worse with diabetes and high blood pressure and I was determined I was not going to hit 300 lb. I am writing everything and trying to stick to a schedule(that does not always work) but I am getting my protein in even if it is with isopure or enriched pudding. I don't know if it will be easier or harder as I progress up the "food chain" but I have not been hungry since I have had the operation. I too was concerned about my age but the doctor reassured me that I would be fine as long as I followed the plan. So the best to all on this new journey in life ....having been a chef and caterer all my life it is certainly a different journey for me. I have even begun to cook for my husband...had lots of things done before I went to the hospital. My biggest problem is not tasting the food while I am cooking but that to is a matter of discipline
  16. Lee6Lee
    Lee6Lee
    Hi to everyone! My sleeve date is April 22nd. I'm 63 years old. Few health problems, but they would increase before long. So having the surgery. I'm afraid of reaching goal and then gaining it back. But others have not, so I'll lean on them for support and inspiration!
  17. dlbonham
    dlbonham
    hello over 60 sleevers ! i am new to website. i joined this group because i'm 63 and scheduled to have my surgery May 8th 2014. there have not been any posts though on this group for over a month, so maybe you all can posts some posts about what your experiences are with being sleeved over 60?!
  18. Robinsnest0417
    Robinsnest0417
    I am going to be 66 on April 17 and I am scheduled to have surgery in Mexico with Dr. Almanza on May 7th.My age doesn't scare me as much as having surgery out of the country. But, my bmi (31.45)doesn't qualify me for surgery in The States with insurance. Self pay is the only answer for me. Is anyone in a similar situation and can offer advice?
  19. bailey1987
    bailey1987
    Hello Over 60 Sleevers, I have not gotten a date yet but I am in the last phases before seeing the surgeon and getting date. I am 62 years old and a retiree, there is so much that I want to do but with aching knees it is very hard.
  20. PurplePeg
    PurplePeg
    Hello fellow 60+. My surgery is Monday April 28th. I had the band for three years, and I'm switching to the sleeve. This will help with my health problems. I figure this is a tool to help me.
  21. poopdollar
    poopdollar
    Hello Fellow "oldies"...ha...

Had my sleeve done on 5-22-14; and turned 63 on 5-24. The journey and surgery were pretty typical I believe. Only problem with me is the fact that I don't tolerate narcotics well at all and they kept me a couple of days over because of breathing problems. The pain is very minimal and stopped taking any pain meds after the 2nd day. Trying to get into the routine of changing what I eat. Been on the post-op liquid for one week, will begin puree diet tomorrow. My sister is staying with me to help me out and we're coming up with a plan of attack. Been getting my protein in with little problem, but I think I'm more hungry than I should be so we are tweaking things. Good luck to everyone....Connie
  22. CarlsbadNanny
    CarlsbadNanny
    Hello, my name is Diana. I will be sleeved on June 20, 2014. I am 60 years old and look forward to beginning this journey. I'm not worried about the discomfort of the procedure. I am hoping everyone of us are successful in our quests. God Bless.
  23. Magnoliakathy
    Magnoliakathy
    Hello my name is Kathy, I live in Magnolia, Texas. I turned 62 in June and I am working on the pre-surgery requirements for my insurance company. I am in the third week of the 90-day process and it is going well. I am still trying to master the MyFitnessPal.com for the reports I have to send to the nutritionist and physical therapist once a week. I have my 2nd appointment with the MD, and therapist the middle of this month. As soon as, the insurance company gives the "so ahead" I will be setting the surgery appointment with Dr. Balette in The Woodlands. Then, as soon as, I lose 100 pounds I can schedule my right knee replacement with Dr. Brannon in Tomball.
  24. KayGee88
    KayGee88
    I just joined this forum today & so glad to find this 60 & over group. I will be 67 in a couple wks & was also concerned about my age. Would have had it done much sooner but wasn't a center close to me until recently. Also my PCP was very negative about it. My daughter is getting sleeved in Aug so I got interested in it again hearing about her 6 mth pre-op journey. Will be attending an informational class Aug 7. Love reading all of your stories.
  25. Jenniwren
    Jenniwren
    Hi Im 60 next month and my appt with surgeon is on the 30th September. Im scared of skin and wrinkles... lol how vain am I... I cant afford the cosmetic surgery so Im going to have to put up with it all for the sake of my health. Well actually should have thought of my health a long time ago... do any of you have pics of before and after? Thanks
  26. Kathi S
    Kathi S
    Hi I am 66 and will have surgery on Monday Oct 6 2014. I am a bit scared because of my age but am looking forward to a new beginning. I will let you know how it goes. Hope there are a few of you still in this group.
  27. Ann2
    Ann2
    I'm Ann (again) and am 68. I had surgery on 8/18/2014. And I've had an easy, easy time of it. It's going great.

Come on in -- the water's fine.
  28. CyndieB
    CyndieB
    I am 61 and will be 62 by the time I have my surgery. I read all of your posts, I am so inspired. Please post back how you are doing and what your journey has been like. Thanks!
  29. Champagne
    Champagne
    I am 62 years old & having the gastric sleeve done 1 week from today (10/19/16). I am posting in this forum hoping there are currently members active that are in their 60s and having, or have had, the sleeve. I have been on my protein liquid diet since 10/4/16 and it has not been as difficult as I thought it would be. I have been so excited however, seem to have some anxiety with the date fast approahing. So, is anyone out there?? I need and want some support through all of this.......
  30. WANAGL
    WANAGL
    Champagne, It's normal to feel anxious/nervous/scared/excited all at the same time. This is a life changing decision...for the better.

You have my support any time you need it.
  31. Emmeraldas
    Emmeraldas
    Champagne, it is perfectly normal to be anxious about ANY surgery; even ones we really look forward to. I was very anxious about my surgery (Oct 7th) just because it WAS surgery. I see your surgical date was about a week ago, I hope you have recovered well and are on the road to better health.
  32. Kycats32
    Kycats32
    Champagne, hope you are doing well. I am 64 and had my surgery on 10/3/16. I am still adjusting. But it gets easier every day. We are here if you need us.
  33. LevDev
    LevDev
    Hi there, I've just joined this group. My surgery was this past April 27th. The first day after surgery was the toughest for me. I did remarkably well they say. We heal up more slowly on the inside than on the outside so to encourage Champagne I'd say follow very closely the liquid, puree and amounts until you go to soft foods. Get your protein! I remember I craved mashed potatoes and also Spaghettios of all things. No protein in either. You may lose a little hair if you skimp on protein. You'll feel tired too. I'm 63 and I still rely on the protein drinks to get my daily amount of 68 grams. I still feel enthusiastic but my hunger pangs are different, stronger somehow. Also, some foods I liked I don't like anymore and vice versa. And my hot flashes returned, I learned why though. So hang in there, the hard part is almost over. LevDev
  34. Emmeraldas
    Emmeraldas
    Hello LevDev! Welcome! I have a question...... why do the hot flashes return? I am getting night sweats like I was 20 years younger! My pillow and nighties are soaked every morning. I admit I have not researched the complete amount of hormonal changes but hot flashes and night sweats seemed a pretty safe bet not to kick up a storm.
  35. Karenh
    Karenh
    Hi, just joined , I am pretty poor at computer stuffs, so no picture yet. I am going to be 60 in April and I am going to be sleeved 12/6 in Mexico by Dr. Almanza. I was banding in 2008 and was doing pretty good til my husband started having TIA's and finally a stroke in 2013, he is doing very well but all leading up to stroke took a toll on my stress levels and I develope hypothyroidism and hastimoto, and gain back 50 lbs so I have decided to take back my health with my husband support and I am nervous as a cat because I'll be going to Mexico by myself and this is a whole new journey and kinda scary . Thanks for letting me join. PS my goal weight is 140ish my height is 5'3" loss a inch somewhere
  36. MommaDuck
    MommaDuck
    Hi to Over 60 Sleevers, I decided to join this group because I'm 66 and would like to have a sleeve. I have battled the bulge all my life and now I am raising an 11 year old grandson. I need to be able to move and keep up with this youngster. Dr. Almanza denied my application on
    Friday with no apparent reason. They did mention my age amongst other things that did not apply to me. I will be expecting another call on Monday for a valid explanation but find that I'm quite discouraged with the poor information they used as excuses not to sleeve me. Will be looking for another surgeon.
  37. marion red
    marion red
    hi, i am new to the forum. my name is marion and i am 66...hoping to communicate with sleevers who are around my age. wish there was a chatroom for us. could someone set up a page on fb for those of us who want to chat more regularly...lol?? i am not that clever. maybe i have too much time on my hands being retired and living alone,i do have a tendency to want to chat. i have not had my surgery yet but am appreciating the forum and getting pretty good info on this amazing journey we are taking. thanks for being here....and good luck to all, congrats to those who have reached their goals...any tips would be greatly appreciated!! m
  38. SAMom
    SAMom
    Hi Marion, I had surgery 5/16/18. I’m 66 and doing well. Today was my first day to exercise. Just walked a mile. Would love to know how you are doing and how much exercise you are doing. I really wasn’t up to doing anything until now. Wondering if that was an age thing or if I’m just a slow healer.
    I hope you’re doing well!