Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Nervous

1. TAkers
    TAkers
    Hi Everyone, I am new and anxious! I am considering a gastric sleeve and will be calling a dr tomorrow to schedule an appointment. My first interaction did not go well. The dr required everyone to go to a seminar first and it was overwhelming and scared me with the failure rate. I do not want to go into something this intense thinking that I am going to fail anyway. I have since spoken to my cousin and a co-worker who both have had sleeves, they are quite happy with their surgeries. How do you all feel about completing your surgeries? Was it worth it?
  2. Mrsdez
    Mrsdez
    My surgery went great. Dont let others get in your head. I had a few bumps in the road but thats a rare thing. I had severe gerd after and about 2 years after my sleeve it was so bad i was switched over to the bypass for medical reasons. But because of the sleeve alone i lost like 160lbs! Im off bp meds, not insulin resistant, more stable ( i have an auto immune disease where balance is effected) my health is better than before, my kids are happy im mentally happy. So my advice is dont let others failures rain on your parade. Remember is a marathon not a race. Your making life style changes and as long as you can accept that you wont fail trust me.
  3. TAkers
    TAkers
    Thank You Mrsdez,
    I appreciate your feedback. I know that everyone has different results based on each individual. But when you go to a seminar that focuses on how hard the surgery is and that it has a large percentage of failure it's scares you off. I know that it will not be easy and I will need to change my entire mindset. But weightloss is not easy at any age and even more so after 50 when you weigh over 250 pounds at 5'4.
  4. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    Failure rate? What kind of failure rate did this doctor refer to? Just curious. I had mine done in June 2012 and went from a tight size 22 to a 0 in six months and while I have experienced a tiny gain (less than 10 pounds) I am still fitting into my 1's and 3's depending on the cut and I will turn 60 soon
  5. Pam G
    Pam G
    whether you "fail" or not is 100% up to you. People can and do regain with WLS of any kind. Some regain a little, like azladyrider, and some gain it all plus more (you've heard of those folks and may even know one personally).

My point is that the sleeve is just a "kick start". It HELPS YOU get started, but you have to do the rest. If you're thinking you'll be able to eat the way you eat now with the same amount of activity you do now, and WLS will miraculously keep weight off of you, you are mistaken.

If you think you'll have to increase your activity level and eat half (or even less) than the amount of calories that you do now and change the type of food you eat, then you are correct.

Success is totally up to you, though. I wish it wasn't, cause it's DAMN HARD!!!! LOL
  6. TAkers
    TAkers
    Thanks Everyone! Yes I am aware that this will be hard work. I wish there was a magic potion that we could take to drop us to our dream weight....LOL. It was easy to put it all on one but hellish taking it off. I know I can make the needed changes and I am doing this to be healthy not a model....Never would want to be that thin...nothing against them they work hard to look good but I am a 54 year old grandma. I just wanna be here as a healthy 70 year old great grandma someday. Being short and fat has it's obstacles that I had never thought of before...I mean geesh my arms are only so long. But I do appreciate all the positivities you are all providing. I have started filling out my new patient packet today. But I need some additional information from my PC dr but of course their portal was down all day today.....lol. I have already completed the precursor online seminar today. And I will be calling to schedule my first apointment most likely on Wednesday. I am still nervous.....but I am ready for this next step. I am honestly just looking for a new start to the old me. Changing my eating habits will also force my husband to change his as well so I think this is a new beginning for both of us eventually once I get me underway. Right now my focus is on me.
  7. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    Just to clarify - I am still under my goal weight and at 110 pounds - the "gain" was needed since I hit 98 pounds at one point. Still in size 1's or 3's

The people that I know that have gained most of theirs back eat way more than I could dream of and most of them drink their calories and I don't mean in the protein shake sense either. One guy I know guzzles soda all day every day... Why? That makes no sense to put yourself through the surgery and all of the effort and then go right back to crappy eating habits.
  8. GigiUSA
    GigiUSA
    I am scheduled for surgery in July and am so encouraged by everyone's words of wisdom. I am ready to do the work, but I am nervous too. It helps so much to read and share with others here.