Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Am I the only one who on here who has had complications post-op

1. DisneyDee
    DisneyDee
    When I am reading the post on here I feel like I am missing something. The surgery went great and I left the hospital after 24 hours. Was off the pain meds on day 3. I have lost 27 pounds in three weeks. All that is good, however, I developed a knot behind my largest incision and since about day 10 or so I have felt retched. It has gotten worse with each new day.

I went back to work at 1 week post-op and was feeling weak but good. At my post-op visit the doctor said I either have a hematoma or a hernia and to come back in two weeks. That was last Thursday. However, things have progressively gotten worse and so today I had a CT scan and will go to the doctor at 1 pm to see what is going on.

I see most people posting that had surgery the same day as me or near the same time and they seem to be doing great with their exercies and eating. What am I missing? Is it that people don't post about the complications but only about the success. Help me understand.
  2. dbarnes7
    dbarnes7
    I hope that's not the case, that everyone is only posting the success stories and not about any issues they have had. That's how we can help people that are considering WLS.
    I am 6 months out and havent had any problems at all yet.
    I hope all goes well for you today.
  3. walliegale
    walliegale
    I have read about someone else having problems with a hematoma - his blog is funny, even though he went thru some serious stuff. Here is a link. Hope you feel better soon!!!
    http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/b...and-bacon.html
  4. shavelic
    shavelic
    Trust me, people report complications quite often. There just not many on this board that had your particular complication.
    I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well and I wish you a speedy recovery.
    When you are feeling better, I hope your sleeve works as well for you, as it has for me.

If you are looking for people who experienced your type of complication, please visit the forum called: Complaints and Complications.
    There are many there who have suffered as you seem to be.
  5. JazzyJackie
    JazzyJackie
    First, I'm sorry for your difficulties. Major surgery can become or create some problems for the body but for sure for me it improved my body. Yes, after surgery I had many discomforts but no actual pain. I never cracked the bottle. I was just extremely uncomfortable. Second, my dr told me before surgery and after surgery to get up and walk. That helped me alot. I continued to move my body everyday. Second, I couldn't get nothing down, even water. Every attempt I made to eat or drink resulted in "up chuck"! Sometime the gummy vitamins came up too. But, I kept trying. Third, my body was sore. I rubbed down two to three times a day with arnica. It soothed me alot. I will be the first to admit that the gastric sleeve is no cake walk. I prayed before and after that God would heal my body and give me strength to go thru it. He helped me; thank God! I kept a journal everyday. My surgery was 12/13/2011. I went from a size 22/24 to a size 10. Since April 2012, I average 45 to 60 miles of walking per week. I feel strange when I don't walk. To this day, I still have some problems getting my food and water down. I take it in slowly. I hope that I've said something that gives you hope as it is not easy. See your dr soon about that lump. God bless you.
  6. Lucy61
    Lucy61
    Sorry to hear about your complications. There are a lot of us that have posted about our issues. For me my CRT - iron level dropped so low that they kept me an extra night, and was one blood test away from a transfussion ... aka I was bleeding internally somewhere and my white count dropped to dangerous lows. I felt lucky that this was the only problem I really had - would I do it again - YES, it was worth it knowing how great I feel today.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.
  7. BCmomabear
    BCmomabear
    We have all had major surgery, and all surgery carries the risk complications. Some complications are simply a little annoying, and others are quite severe. I had wound infection in three of my incisions, but they cleared up well with antibiotics. I am now almost 1 year out and have lost 74lbs. I am 56 years old and do not exercise. However, I am very busy and on my feet all day, none stop. I believe the sleeve was the wisest thing I could have done... not always easy, but well worth it. Have faith in your decision, as it will all be worth it!!
  8. WyomingDiva
    WyomingDiva
    You may have a staph infection. I developed a similar knot that became as big and thick as my hand before I finally sought help. Get to the doctor or emergency room immediately for antibiotics - this is very dangerous. I took three rounds of antibitoics before it finally went away.

I also had other complications - leaking sleeve, pneumonia, and edema. It's been three months since surgery, most of which was spent in the hospital. I am just now starting to feel human. Good luck to you.
  9. GrandmaCC
    GrandmaCC
    I understand your frustrations. I too have lots of complications.
    Week 1 in ER ..They thought I had a blood clot. But none thank goodness
    Week 2 ..great. Post-op went well and was released to go back to work.
    Week 3 to 5..it all fell apart. I can only have clear liquids and cannot get enough protein and water each day. Lots of pain which I didn't have before. Went off all meds and vitamins to try and figure out if one of them was making me sick.
    Week 5.. finally have a reflux med I can tolerate so I can get a little bit more in me. Going Tuesday for bloodwork and endoscopy to find out what is going on. I also have pain in two incession spots. I'm hoping they find something wrong so they can just fix it. I have not returned to work and have been extended till the 1st of Feb. Just in time for my 60th birthday.
    So yes, you and I seem to have the fun of having things go wrong. We just need to keep our head up and pray it will get better.
    Good luck and I hope they were able to find out what is wrong and you can get back on track.