Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Requirements for Dr Almanzas patients

1. KaneBabie
    KaneBabie
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how much sugars, carbs, sodium etc etc Dr Almanza recommends after being sleeved?
  2. jenny53669
    jenny53669
    Let me preface by saying I have no idea if they recommend a personalized diet and you should probably ask their staff for a definite answer, but for purposes of this forum and being helpful, here is what they have sent me as instructions for the post-op diet. It doesn't say anything regarding specific amounts except pretty much to avoid sugar and simple carbs, I don't know about sodium.
    NO CARBONATED BEVERAGES FOR THREE MONTHS, or alcohol for 6 weeks
    Eat slowly and chew thoroughly- chew at least 25 times!
    Avoid items with large amounts of sugars, especially those in liquid form. They are filled with non-nutrient calories and slow down weight loss.
    If you are unable to keep anything down and are having extreme difficulty staying hydrated, sip on Gatorade which also has electrolytes necessary for normal cell function.
    Drink at least 6 to 8 cups (1 cup is 8 oz) of fluid per day to prevent dehydration.
    Stop drinking liquids 15 minutes before meals and resume 30 - 45 minutes after meals.
    Eat 3 small nutrient dense meals + 1 high protein snack a day
    If you cannot tolerate dairy, substitute Lactaid for milk. You can also try soy milk fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
    FIRST FEW DAYS POST-OP: Clear liquids only (liquids you can see through). These include broth, Jell-O, juices (apple, cranberry, and white grape), tea or popsicles
    2ND WEEK: Continue with clear liquids and gelatin and add:
    Protein shakes
    Pear and apple purée
    Soups (broth)
    3RD TO 4TH WEEK POST-OP:
    Blended meat and poultry (the texture of baby food), soft poached eggs
    Canned and/or ****** baby foods that are low in sugar and higher in protein (meat and chicken) are acceptable.
    Low fat cottage cheese, sugar free puddings
    Unsweetened applesauce, puréed canned peaches (not in syrup), mashed ripe bananas
    Blended soft cooked vegetables, or overcooked and mashed with a fork
    Oatmeal, grits, farina
    Fats and Oils: Limit all.
    Miscellaneous: Canned soups, homemade soups (vegetable, meat, poultry contents should be overcooked or blended) - limit cream soups – Healthy choice, Progresso Lite, and Healthy Request, egg drop soup and Miso soup.
    Sugar free Jell-O, sugar free popsicles (Dole, Starburst), Pedialyte popsicles, and sugarfree/fat-free ice cream.
    Artificial sweeteners which are acceptable: NutraSweet / Equal, Sweet n’ Low/ Saccharine and Splendid/ Sucralose.
    Liquids: Sip throughout the day but not during meals. Try to drink at least 6 to 8 cups (a cup is 8 oz) of fluid per day.
    Flat diet soda, skim milk or Skim Plus, Crystal Light, decaf coffee and tea, all broths, any sugar free beverages, and water!
    4-6 WEEKS POST-OP:
    All foods previously tolerated, tofu, fish and seafood, thinly sliced deli turkey or ham and other luncheon meats, slices of low fat cheese, unsweetened canned or cooked fruit, potatoes, squash, unsweetened cereal with skim milk or skim plus, boiled chicken in broth (cut up in small pieces), crisp toast and crackers, beans and peas, and lean, moist ground turkey and beef.
    Preferably, when you sit down to eat, start with the protein first, then your fruits and vegetables, and then whole grains (carbs) last.
    6-8 WEEKS POST-OP:
    Diced poultry (no skin), vegetable burgers, soft cooked vegetables, soft fruits (watermelon, honeydew, peaches, and plums), and well-cooked pasta.
    The diet should always be high in protein and low in refined carbohydrates (white flour).
  3. jenny53669
    jenny53669
    haha, for some reason it filtered out the word j a r r e d baby food? I have no idea!
  4. cmrizzuto
    cmrizzuto
    If you use facebook there are alot of good groups on there focused to vsg patients. I highly recommend it.
  5. TarotAces
    TarotAces
    Yes, post op you should aim for a minimum of 60-100 grams of protein a day, and keep your carbs under about 30 grams (NONE from refined starches, sugar, bread, pasta, etc. They should come from non-starchy vegetables so you get good nutrients. He recommends eating your protein first at all meals and then moving on to vegetables after you've eating the protein, if you have room.

Hope that helps.
  6. KaneBabie
    KaneBabie
    Thank you all for the information, I find it very helpful. Trying prepare for my surgery in Feb, getting all the information I can about Dr Almazas practices.